• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Able, but unmotivated.

Scissorhands

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a student, a high school student to be exact. I'm generally an A-B student, which isn't horrible, but it is still far from ideal. I generally understand everything I'm being taught… when I listen to it. Actually bringing myself to listen to it is the issue. If I'm very interested in the topic of a class I will get a perfect grade. I've observed that my grades are directly proportionate to my level of interest, and I'm just not particularly interesting in much of what I'm intended to learn. It's not as if I haven't made attempts to motivate myself in areas that don't attract my interest, because I have. I really have. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to how I could resolve this issue.

Edit: Alright just disregard everything I said above, I would just like suggestions as to how I can get myself to pay attention. That's really the issue here.

Last edited:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a student, a high school student to be exact. I'm generally an A-B student, which isn't horrible, but it is still far from ideal. I have an IQ of 147, and I understand everything I'm being taught… when I listen to it. Actually bringing myself to listen to it is the issue. If I'm very interested in the topic of a class I will get a perfect grade. I've observed that my grades are directly proportionate to my level of interest, and I'm just not particularly interesting in much of what I'm intended to learn. It's not as if I haven't made attempts to motivate myself in areas that don't attract my interest, because I have. I really have. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to how I could resolve this issue.

You need to factor in the human element. The humans giving you your grades can [and are moreso, sometimes] inherently flawed and incompetent people. You cannot control or change this.
Don't worry, high school's not as important as it's made out to be. Do your best, as in the end, that's all that matters.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Leisure it up with the senile by attending isolated and otherwise dying places of worship?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You need to have a well rounded life so that you will get what you feel is missing from what you currently have in a way that is sustainable and healthy for your life. Perhaps socializing by doing volunteer work or by joining a league or sports team (good for college applications and meeting new people).

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Had the same "problem", and we are in the same range IQ-wise.
To be fair, I don't think this whole thing... This society... will last long enough for us to have any real use for most of the supposed learning we've received. Or their arbitrary grades.
Like social studies, their version of history, gender studies... Just a bunch of lies, and pretty transparent for a person who reads all sides to get a picture.
School today is way less preoccupied with teaching truth and competence than it is trying to brainwash people into mindless servitors, who only care for consumption.
What they do succeed with is having the less gifted believe in their crap, just like the papists did during the time of the inquisition.
Once the sheep believes, peer pressure will get most people to attack "heretics" like me. Go look at a few of the discussions I have had recently.
It's rather amusing to use that comparison, because this is not a new situation. Very much like the inquisition, in fact. I am sure you know what I mean.
A person of intelligence is bound to be in conflict with popular belief in some way, sooner or later.
If you've managed to find any of the truly weak spots of the whole thing yet, you will know.

So. Is this part of the reason you don't feel motivated? The crudeness, lies, stupidity and hypocrisy?
If they really wanted us to learn and become all that we can be, they would not go about it in this manner.
School today is all about indoctrination. The level of actual education is at best on a very low level.
Like you yourself said, you can listen to the crap and get a perfect score. No need to think or read alternate views on things.
What matters is the score... The grade...
Or so they would have us believe.

What matters is that you do not let them break your mind. Be yourself, and follow your interests wherever they lead you.
Remember this quote by Voltaire: “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
I hope you don't have too much time left in indoctrination camp.

Good luck staying sane.

Scissorhands

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You need to have a well rounded life so that you will get what you feel is missing from what you currently have in a way that is sustainable and healthy for your life. Perhaps socializing by doing volunteer work or by joining a league or sports team (good for college applications and meeting new people).

Sports? Socializing? Socializing? *eye twitch* No, I'm fine.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Um, I didn't think the same way at 16. I had a social life. I was in theater and chorus and art club, then when I became really rebellious I just had friends outside of school and started working at part-time jobs so I had money to spend.

Sorry, I'm normal and stupid. I cannot be of service to your great heights of superiority.

P.S. I made a perfect score on the state AP Lit exam my senior year, took AP and advanced classes, and either made As when I cared about something, or didn't do it at all. I made the dean's list nearly every semester of college before I withdrew with a 3.9.

Yawn.

OohBurn.gif

Actually, no at my age you'll probably have a much higher paying career and people will admire you.

But I'll always be more interesting. :coffee:

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
German bullshit. Go fap yo your mom's dead corpse cunt.

i don`t think that anyone here is to blame for you being so angry and frustrated and depressed as to take it up on me, random person on this forum , and using that kind of language
maybe you should reconsider your post

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Kinda hard to be really motivated in high school...I think you should not worry too much.

Scissorhands

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You came for feedback fag. You think we didn't think the same way at fucking 16? Guess what this is feedback. Wake up!

No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like that! I'm just saying that it isn't my area. I didn't mean to come off as a jerk or anything, so I really do apologise if I did.

Scissorhands

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jeez. I only started this because I wanted to bring up my grades somehow. :-/ I'm really sorry if I offended anyone in the process, or sounded like a jerk, or anything.

R

Riva

I had a similar issue. Then I learned to be consistent in my studies (1-2 hrs per day studying daily). My grades are still not perfect but my grades are where I want them to be.
Another factor you should consider is people tend to not try too hard if the subconcious mind does not think it is necessary. Best way to overcome this is consistency.
Edit - I believe someone has hacked um's account.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lol my bad

Sorry haha misinterpreted due to ... mitigating circumstances? I'll edit the posts

Edit:

Thanks mod team

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
Don't consider yourself above socializing. So called 'intelligence' does not light a candle compared to direct experience, and experience says exposure to experiences which differ from your own is valuable.

While we're being honest let's also bring up the fact that high school is incredibly easy, so don't adjust your expectations too much while you're there.

Scissorhands

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't consider yourself above socializing. So called 'intelligence' does not light a candle compared to direct experience, and experience says exposure to experiences which differ from your own is valuable.

While we're being honest let's also bring up the fact that high school is incredibly easy, so don't adjust your expectations too much while you're there.

I don't consider myself above socializing. On the contrary, I've tried, I'm just an incredible failure at it.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
you`re an INTx , you`ll be ok, trust me, it just takes some time and some quality people