• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

GLBT and STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics)

Cryonium

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4/9
How manty gay men and lesbians, bi people and transexuals r actually in a STEM field? do u luv it? R any of u open? R U accepted or discriminated? What kind of subject r u doing chemistry, biology, astronomy, computer science, engeineering, mathematics? how would you compare a stem career to a career in the arts, like tthe film industry, cosmetology, or theatre etc. please do tell:D

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
I posted a similar thread about gender bias. Nobody seemed to care. I don't know why that is. I thought there would be more of a response.

My feeling is that the prevailing attitude in STEM is that identity doesn't matter, only the work produced.

This can be a double edged sword because calling out bias can trigger a bad reaction among individuals who pride themselves on finding and rooting out bias. I would hope, however, that the initial sting to pride would be short lived.

As an engineer, I knew one gay man and one lesbian who outed themselves. I'm not sure how many were closeted. I believe, asexuals are relatively more common in STEM than other fields.

I have actually seen more of a diversity of ethnicities and socioeconomics in STEM as compared with English or Philosophy. I am not sure about sexuality, however.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I posted a similar thread about gender bias. Nobody seemed to care. I don't know why that is. I thought there would be more of a response.

My feeling is that the prevailing attitude in STEM is that identity doesn't matter, only the work produced.

This can be a double edged sword because calling out bias can trigger a bad reaction among individuals who pride themselves on finding and rooting out bias. I would hope, however, that the initial sting to pride would be short lived.

As an engineer, I knew one gay man and one lesbian who outed themselves. I'm not sure how many were closeted. I believe, asexuals are relatively more common in STEM than other fields.

I have actually seen more of a diversity of ethnicities and socioeconomics in STEM as compared with English or Philosophy. I am not sure about sexuality, however.

Because why not compare meteorology to endocrinology.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I remember that thread. You probably didn't get any response because it was a series of links without any post-discussion. No offense meant at all. It was just a lot of work required to participate in the thread without much of a "hook" to get us interested nor much commentary in the OP to bounce off of. Plus it's a pretty wide topic. At least personally, my subjective experience is all I have to share. I was hoping for someone else with a more informed opinion to get the discussion started.

Anyway. I've done a stint in marine bio and conservation, and I felt pretty well-respected and treated equally, but moreso in small communities and less so in academia, where older white men ruled. I feel like my (bi)sexuality is relatively irrelevant in the STEM fields - though it sometimes seems the more I can get away from being classically feminine, the more seriously men will listen to my opinions.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm gay and am in STEM fields; I don't see a particular effect on it. Still seen as a recluse, detatched, intellectually curious, "smart", and nerdy by most. Just queer gets tagged along :shrug:

Also, I think you're right: STEM people generally are "of the mind" types who don't give a fuck about sexuality etc so long as you can muster good conversation. If anything (as I have always been out), they approach that part of me with the same curiosity they'd approach a new equation. How does that work? basically but with a more humanistic slant. In this case, they tend to be more 'prying' (especially the ENTPs..sorry) because their curiosity overrides their tact--but I'm still treated as an equal/regular just with more questions (I prefer questions to aspersions). If anything, I've found it to me more of an issue among non-STEM people.

gromit

likes this
In my office of about 12 people, there was one gay man, all the rest straight men and women. Civil engineering.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
just as a heads up "tranny" is generally considered to be an offensive slur, you might want to replace that word in your vocabulary (transgender/transsexual is the usual term).

I'm not GLBT but I do work in STEM (medical research) and my peers and supervisors are very LGBT-friendly. Mind you, I'm in Canada, so we're all pretty LGBT-friendly compared to the states. Still, I think scientists tend to focus on the facts rather than the person, and we tend to be less religious than the average, which probably helps a lot. Not that all religious people hate the gays by any means, but I can't imagine why a non-religious person would.