• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Job Interview and presentation tomorrow

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Wish me luck!

I got through the first round of interviews last week and there are now four candidates remaining.

I've been asked to do a 15 minute presentation and then there's a 30 minute interview.

I've also produced a 30 page paper to support my presentation.

Do you think this is over the top?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't get it, when are those people supposed to read the 30-page paper, whilst your presenting? Yes, it's over the top. Being short and efficient is also a quality. The only plus you get is that they're going to realise that you really want the job (my two cents).

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Fair comment. I'm hoping to demonstrate depth of knowledge and also that I'm able to generate something this substantial within 4 days. I suppose it could smell of desperation though.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Best of luck!

If you haven't done it yet, ditch the paper. No one will read it and it'll probably alienate you from your interviewers. If you're going into education (which I think is the case?) then just do what they ask and do a good job. I'm speaking without any context, but if you wanted to provide a supplement, I'd say maybe three pages tops - basically, something small.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Best of luck!

If you haven't done it yet, ditch the paper. No one will read it and it'll probably alienate you from your interviewers. If you're going into education (which I think is the case?) then just do what they ask and do a good job. I'm speaking without any context, but if you wanted to provide a supplement, I'd say maybe three pages tops - basically, something small.

Thanks I submitted the paper and it seemed to impress them.

I got the job :)

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1

Dude, awesome! :happy2: Shows what a pleb like me knows. You obviously knew what was best. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes - that would have impressed me. It shows drive, focus, thoroughness and a desire to work for them. Unless you came across as a fanatic in an interview, it is pretty impressive.

G

garbage

:hifive:

What motivated your paper? How much of a mix is it between presenting you in general, your industry, and the company you work for? It would've floored me, except if, y'know, it was uninsightful and laden with grammatical errors. .. which, clearly, it wasn't.

What's your area?

Having a personalized presentation, "brand," and CV/resume that can be tailored to specific audiences definitely, definitely helps. From my boss, I learned to keep a "The Book" that chronicles everything that I've ever done. It can be trimmed according to some specific job or proposal. It's been a great asset.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
:hifive:

What motivated your paper? How much of a mix is it between presenting you in general, your industry, and the company you work for? It would've floored me, except if, y'know, it was uninsightful and laden with grammatical errors. .. which, clearly, it wasn't.

What's your area?

Having a personalized presentation, "brand," and CV/resume that can be tailored to specific audiences definitely, definitely helps. From my boss, I learned to keep a "The Book" that chronicles everything that I've ever done. It can be trimmed according to some specific job or proposal. It's been a great asset.

I was motivated to do the paper in order to differentiate myself from the other candidates and to reiterate and expand the themes of the presentation. My area is education, and the presentation topic was the impact of government plans and strategy for the College. The book idea sounds good though I'd find it difficult to maintain it (I was never good at keeping a diary). I like to apply for jobs regularly (i.e. may be 1 a year) as I find it a useful exercise in updating my CV / application forms. It is surprising how much I find that I've done in the interim periods.