User Tag List

Default Physical conditioning/training vs. mental learning?

How do you strike a balance? How do they line up in terms of what occupies your time the most and why? Is it work related or personal goal related? Is training something you do as a stage before something, for a purpose, and its done or is it an on going thing?
    All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.
    Chapter IV, p. 448. - Adam Smith, Book 3, The Wealth of Nations

whether or not you credit psychoanalysis itself, the fact remains that we all must, to the greatest extent possible, understand one another's minds as our own; the very survival of humanity has always depended on it. - Open Culture

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Mental learning takes up the majority of my time. It is the default, comes naturally, is necessary for my work. That being said, I recognize the need for physical training, and for the most part, fit it into my schedule regularly. I focus on activities I really enjoy and will be willing to stick with. I don't train physically for specific goals, other than that one of my activities is martial arts, so we do earn belts as we develop our skills. The (mental) learning I do for work is usually on an as-needed basis. If I need to know how to do a certain calculation, or how to use a particular piece of software, or even if we are considering expanding into a new branch of research, I will do the homework necessary to be able to follow through on the task. Outside of work, I learn a combination of what interests me, and what I can put to good use. This also can be very goal-oriented, as when I learned HTML to make a website for a group I volunteer with.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...