• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Physical conditioning/training vs. mental learning?

Lark

How do you strike a balance? How do they line up in terms of what occupies your time the most and why? Is it work related or personal goal related? Is training something you do as a stage before something, for a purpose, and its done or is it an on going thing?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mental learning takes up the majority of my time. It is the default, comes naturally, is necessary for my work. That being said, I recognize the need for physical training, and for the most part, fit it into my schedule regularly. I focus on activities I really enjoy and will be willing to stick with. I don't train physically for specific goals, other than that one of my activities is martial arts, so we do earn belts as we develop our skills. The (mental) learning I do for work is usually on an as-needed basis. If I need to know how to do a certain calculation, or how to use a particular piece of software, or even if we are considering expanding into a new branch of research, I will do the homework necessary to be able to follow through on the task. Outside of work, I learn a combination of what interests me, and what I can put to good use. This also can be very goal-oriented, as when I learned HTML to make a website for a group I volunteer with.