• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do intuitives...deal with most work?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
All you have to do is tell yourself that your status as 'intuitive' will reaffirm your status as a Special Little Flower, beloved by Jung and all the gods. Thank the gods you all took an MBTI test online!
Working is so hard when you're so special.

x10000000000000000000000

Seriously, threads like these need to STFU. Nobody likes to do meaningless menial work, not even the most hardcore SJs.

I know that the desire to self-glorify is strong in many of you, but there is no need to be condescending in order to do it (well, maybe it is. There always needs to be a "lower" for you to be a "higher," yeah?)

P.S. - Do not equate "detail" with "menial." I don't care WHAT you do, but whatever it is, you're going to have to concern yourself with details if you plan on being good at it. I honestly hate when people say that they're not "detail-oriented" as though that's a cute character trait, when in fact it's either a moral or intellectual failing (either you're just lazy and don't care, or you're mentally incapable.)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't care WHAT you do, but whatever it is, you're going to have to concern yourself with details if you plan on being good at it. I honestly hate when people say that they're not "detail-oriented" as though that's a cute character trait, when in fact it's either a moral or intellectual failing (either you're just lazy and don't care, or you're mentally incapable.)

But it sure is more common to see people dealing with work and oversimplifying those who don't as lazy when they have such an Se style down-to-earth mindset such as this.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
P.S. - Do not equate "detail" with "menial." I don't care WHAT you do, but whatever it is, you're going to have to concern yourself with details if you plan on being good at it. I honestly hate when people say that they're not "detail-oriented" as though that's a cute character trait, when in fact it's either a moral or intellectual failing (either you're just lazy and don't care, or you're mentally incapable.)

Sorry?? A moral failing? People not being "detail oriented" is a relative matter i.e. there are some people who are very detail oriented, some who are less, even in the same field and at the same leve of "expertise". They will focus on different sides of a given task. For example, being detail oriented takes time, and that time can be expended in exploring differing alternatives and-or relaxing constraints.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Sorry?? A moral failing? People not being "detail oriented" is a relative matter i.e. there are some people who are very detail oriented, some who are less, even in the same field and at the same leve of "expertise". They will focus on different sides of a given task. For example, being detail oriented takes time, and that time can be expended in exploring differing alternatives and-or relaxing constraints.

My point is that EVERYONE is capable of dealing with details in the right context, so saying that you are in general not a "detail-oriented person" either means that you're lazy or you literally don't have the capacity to process details. Of course, in reality we know that it most likely is a self-aggrandizing statement made to set ones' self apart from the masses who are happy doing shallow, meaningless tasks all day.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Seriously, threads like these need to STFU. Nobody likes to do meaningless menial work, not even the most hardcore SJs.

I know that the desire to self-glorify is strong in many of you, but there is no need to be condescending in order to do it (well, maybe it is. There always needs to be a "lower" for you to be a "higher," yeah?)

Im not sure whether you read my actual OP or any of my posts in here, but this was made when I was convinced I was an ESFJ. Probably still am.

I hate the idea of the 'poor me im an intuitive in a sensor's world' mentality, I despise it. But this was an attempt to be fair in perception towards those who probably do struggle.

It's suitably ironic that people failed to inspect the actual details of my post.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Did you ever notice that most people who "get real" like you do are either xSxP, Te dom, or Te doms who are really xSxP? It's not coincidence.

But if all you think is that all those poor masses of Ns are really delusional sensing types, you'll never understand this.

Really, you do have a good point, but not without that slight flavor of overexaggerated projection on us.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think that this is really an intuitive/sensor thing... but then again, some of y'all will always find a reason to turn things into an "us against them" type ordeal... life isn't really all that simple, unfortunately :shrug:

I've always gotten along in any sort of job that I've worked by deciding to be the best at doing it and letting my competitive nature take over... defeating others is really the most fun a person can have if things are re-framed :cheese: re-framing things is pretty essential to enjoying tasks that aren't traditionally enjoyable tasks... in many cases it's how you look at it, not what it is, that makes the biggest difference :)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Maybe it's less about the job itself and more about certain aspects of it? (e.g. long hours, mandatory meetings, poor ergonomics, one-size-fits-all employee evaluation, stuff like that)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
My point is that EVERYONE is capable of dealing with details in the right context, so saying that you are in general not a "detail-oriented person" either means that you're lazy or you literally don't have the capacity to process details.

NO. It means it is not your natural inclination to do so, even if you are capable when required. Just like saying "I am not a sporty person", "I am not a party person", "I am not a hiking person" etc.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
NO. It means it is not your natural inclination to do so, even if you are capable when required. Just like saying "I am not a sporty person", "I am not a party person", "I am not a hiking person" etc.

Those are specific activities (or areas of activity.) Dealing with "details" is a general description of a mental capacity. The closer analogy would be, "I am not a 'moving my legs' person." No one would say that unless they were truly lazy and didn't like to move, or they were one of the minority of people without the ability to move their legs (generally known as debilitated.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Those are specific activities (or areas of activity.) Dealing with "details" is a general description of a mental capacity.

Yes, and so what? Can't you have a preference towards one or the other mental capacity? I love and am very good at visualizing moving 3-d objects in my head, some others hate it and they need to really focus to do it. Maybe, however, they like dealing with details and they don't have to make an effort. Others love and find it easy to directly speak other languages, others may be much better at dealing with grammar. And so on.
So the last part of your topic does not hold either, because "Moving your legs" would be akin to "using your brain" in our context: a brain can be used for many different purposes, and dealing with details is just one of very many.

Now, if someone were to say "I cannot deal with details", he would likely be saying "I am too lazy to deal with details". But preferences still exist, even when someone makes an effort to go beyond his comfort zone.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Routine, detail orientated tasks get easier, particularly if you are interested in what you are doing, or have some motivation to master it. If you are bored out of your skull forget it. Work to your strengths. In my industry, (which is fairly repetitive)I've become a jack of all trades. I'm good at it, and I'm a rarerity. Not because I'm a special little bunny, but because I have a natural inclination for the skill set required.

G

garbage

Wow, what a clusterfuck.

I will freely admit that I am less mentally capable than some (but definitely not all) in noticing and working with details, that it's something that I continually aspire to fix (and that I work around in the meantime), that it does not make me a unique and special snowflake, and that it's gotten me into 'trouble' at times in my life. I wouldn't consider my flaw to be a gift, because I'm not delusional.

It's a very good thing to be able to see a project through from start to finish, from idea to realization, from general notion to nitty-gritty. [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION] once used the analogy of a zoom lens, which has stuck with me.

--

As others have said, inducing 'autopilot,' a trance/meditative-like state, or however we want to portray it is a way to work through the ritual stuff. It's also easier to focus on details in subject matter that you can enjoy (or can motivate yourself to enjoy).

We all need some degree of ritual and consistency in our lives, else we'd have no foundation to rest upon. That's not to say that one ought to just suck it up and deal with it, but perhaps that perspective can help one make it through.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
So, as the title poses: How do you deal with work? And how do you perceive the modern job market? Although not it in terms of stability, more just what those jobs can offer you...if anything.

I worked at an incredibly mind-numbing job this summer. Didn't matter if you were S or N, if you didn't occupy yourself with something to do during the down periods, your brain would be fried.

It felt like such a waste of time, for me, critical thinking-wise. What good is my brain if I'm not gonna use it? So I decided to read more, mostly non-fiction stuff, that could really engage me. There was a book on the Nuremberg Trials in the library, and the subject itself is a page-turner. I used that to keep my mind thinking about the many great questions they faced, preferably ones with a lot of ethical implications.

What's most important to me is that I'm using my brain. Even if my job didn't offer that, and it was boring and routine and mundane, I had to find another outlet. And I did.

It's not an ideal job, but it was the only one I could get. With that in mind, I was a lot more willing to concede to the routine if it meant I had the cash. Under more preferable circumstances, my job would fulfill that need for intellectual stimulation. But whatever. Eet werked.