• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do intuitives...deal with most work?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
For me, while finding work is a challenge, most jobs, no matter how menial, are at least bare-able.

But while I can perform the same tasks day in, day out, routine and slogging along. I wonder how intuitives cope with it?

From what I understand it would appear that intuitives need a challenge, or at least something to inspire them, to appeal to their sense of quick uptake and depth of comprehension.
If we take type statistics at face value it could be so that most jobs are created and controlled by sensing types. So most day to day jobs are of the detailed orientation that sensors have a preference for.

I could easily imagine the difficulty in looking out at a world that doesn't appear to have been influenced with you and your preferences in mind. Being on the fringe, looking for something, that key something that is often unable to be communicated effectively, yet still exists.

I have a hard time picturing some of the members here putting up with the banality of my current job, even I find it monotonous, yet I do it anyhow and over time it has grown on me and become part of my daily life; just another routine familiarity.

But do intuitives ever find themselves in similar positions? I imagine it is possible through the application of self control and willpower, to bare any job going, but it just seems to me as if it would be frustrating for intuitives to look at the rather poor collection of jobs on offer for most average people.

So, as the title poses: How do you deal with work? And how do you perceive the modern job market? Although not it in terms of stability, more just what those jobs can offer you...if anything.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mh, as with any task I need to complete because it's a necessity of some sort - I'd space out/go into mental autopilot at my previous jobs.
I could only stand to work in one place for about a year, maybe a bit more. This was while I was in college, etc.

Ultimately what I'm doing needs to have meaning, or I start feeling dead inside. The familiarity feels like stagnation, and slowly eats away at me, in the back of my mind.

For people with particular fields of interest or things they're passionately pursuing, I guess they're the lucky few who may be able to intertwine such drives with personal income. I'm currently working my way down the pier to hop on that boat.

I can't imagine living any other way, at this point.
For me, anything else would be going through the motions of other people's definitions of living.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Mh, as with any task I need to complete because it's a necessity of some sort - I'd space out/go into mental autopilot at my previous jobs.
I could only stand to work in one place for about a year, maybe a bit more. This was while I was in college, etc.

Ultimately what I'm doing needs to have meaning, or I start feeling dead inside. The familiarity feels like stagnation, and slowly eats away at me, in the back of my mind.

For people with particular fields of interest or things they're passionately pursuing, I guess they're the lucky few who may be able to intertwine such drives with personal income. I'm currently working my way down the pier to hop on that boat.

I can't imagine living any other way, at this point.
For me, anything else would be going through the motions of other people's definitions of living.

That's interesting.

Also, concerning the bold it's something ive heard before off others identifying as intuitive types. It seems to be a kind of individuality, but tied to the intuition itself, although it depends on the function. Something akin to leaving ones own mark of passion on the world.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's interesting.

Also, concerning the bold it's something ive heard before off others identifying as intuitive types. It seems to be a kind of individuality, but tied to the intuition itself, although it depends on the function. Something akin to leaving ones own mark of passion on the world.

I don't think it's necessarily an intuitive thing, exclusively. Ultimately, we're all chasing the same thing. We want fulfilling lives. We articulate this differently, is all. Just a matter of mere semantics, I think.

Personally, I don't have a particular desire to leave a mark- or even be remembered. I just want to make the most of my time, while I have it, and hopefully leave a positive impact on those I interact with along the way, & perhaps motivate them to do the same. Again, I don't think this is necessarily narrowed down by type or function. Just a matter of personal values, expression, & manner of implementation, if that makes sense.

(I realize my last sentence sort of describes cognitive function, in a way, but like I said before, functions aside, the core drives of every human tend to be the same, in the end)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I don't think it's necessarily an intuitive thing, exclusively. Ultimately, we're all chasing the same thing. We want fulfilling lives. We articulate this differently, is all. Just a matter of mere semantics, I think.

Personally, I don't have a particular desire to leave a mark- or even be remembered. I just want to make the most of my time, while I have it, and hopefully leave a positive impact on those I interact with along the way, & perhaps motivate them to do the same. Again, I don't think this is necessarily narrowed down by type or function. Just a matter of personal values, expression, & manner of implementation, if that makes sense.

(I realize my last sentence sort of describes cognitive function, in a way, but like I said before, functions aside, the core drives of every human tend to be the same, in the end)

Nice insight actually and a nice motive. Mine is somewhat similar, really. All about enjoying, living and seeing what is at the end with dying.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been fortunate for the majority of my working life to have had challenging jobs in my preferred field. Before that, mostly while still in school, I had a string of the kind of routine jobs you describe: housecleaning, cashiering, and the boring end of library work. Yes, some of the work I could do on autopilot, while letting my thoughts roam where they would. Often, I would try to figure out more efficient ways to accomplish the assigned work, and implement them when possible. In the library job (the only one that was full-time), my boss had me show my coworkers how I had streamlined a time-consuming record-checking and data entry process to go much faster. Of course, there we entertained ourselves with lively chatter, and perusing the books among which we worked. I found the most annoying jobs were things like cashiering where I had to deal with the public. The saving grace of my "boring" jobs was that they were mostly part-time as a student, so I had plenty of academic challenge to occupy my thoughts. It would have been a different story doing any of them full-time.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although I'm currently in a pretty good position. Doing menial jobs that offer no challenge was indeed tough on me. I got through it by keeping me over-occupied with all kinds of mental interests in my offtime. Problems arised when I tried to overlap the two though.

But it's kinda like a "drain the battery -> power the battery" struggle.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although I'm currently in a pretty good position. Doing menial jobs that offer no challenge was indeed tough on me. I got through it by keeping me over-occupied with all kinds of mental interests in my offtime. Problems arised when I tried to overlap the two though.

But it's kinda like a "drain the battery -> power the battery" struggle.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's dreadful... Unless I'm the boss.

I've known from super early on I had to work for myself. Or at the very least work for people who do things as I would do them.

I get seriously pissed off and irritable if asked to do things which I know are either not as efficient or as good as I would do it...

Ha... I've developed a slight ego when it comes to my work :blush:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
All you have to do is tell yourself that your status as 'intuitive' will reaffirm your status as a Special Little Flower, beloved by Jung and all the gods. Thank the gods you all took an MBTI test online!
Working is so hard when you're so special.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Being an intuitive is still a bit of a far cry compared to the descriptions, most intuitives I know still have some kind of office job, a chunk of which can be really boring, but they play on their strenghts and end up delegating the most detail-oriented part. Or, if they (we) have to, we may end up doing it less than perfectly, but still - it's not like we are handicapped...

Talisyn

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9-1
I used those meaningless jobs to get through college. It wasn't impossible as it was a necessary evil to get i needed to be. I'm a teacher now. But aside, a job is a job... It isn't what defines me.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I used those meaningless jobs to get through college. It wasn't impossible as it was a necessary evil to get i needed to be. I'm a teacher now. But aside, a job is a job... It isn't what defines me.

Ah that's brilliant. I struggle so much to see any goals in my life. I just jump from temp work to temp work.

I suppose I just put it down to either having a purposeful desire that you wish to fulfill or obtain, or a skill that you are passionate and adept in. I lack either so struggle in that regard, but im not an intuitive.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, while finding work is a challenge, most jobs, no matter how menial, are at least bare-able.

But while I can perform the same tasks day in, day out, routine and slogging along. I wonder how intuitives cope with it?

From what I understand it would appear that intuitives need a challenge, or at least something to inspire them, to appeal to their sense of quick uptake and depth of comprehension.
If we take type statistics at face value it could be so that most jobs are created and controlled by sensing types. So most day to day jobs are of the detailed orientation that sensors have a preference for.

I have always liked working. In my first job, I mopped floors, washed dishes and then got promoted to cooking massive amounts of eggs in the morning. I liked making that floor clean, cooking the eggs right, etc. Actually, it took some skill to make 30 eggs over easy at the same time without breaking the yolks or over-cooking them. Driving a forklift was fun. I once had to use a scraper to strip broken up floor tape on every aisle in a large warehouse. You can take pride in whatever you do.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I have always liked working. In my first job, I mopped floors, washed dishes and then got promoted to cooking massive amounts of eggs in the morning. I liked making that floor clean, cooking the eggs right, etc. Actually, it took some skill to make 30 eggs over easy at the same time without breaking the yolks or over-cooking them. Driving a forklift was fun. I once had to use a scraper to strip broken up floor tape on every aisle in a large warehouse. You can take pride in whatever you do.

That's a good point. Right now my job is glorified shelf stacking, but there is some pride in doing the job well. Shame they wont be keeping me on after this trial period, though I might get another extension on my contract if I do well enough.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't mind menial and repetitive, etc. I mind being treated like shit and, unfortunately, that seems to be par for the course.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't mind menial and repetitive, etc. I mind being treated like shit and, unfortunately, that seems to be par for the course.

You don' have to allow that you know.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You don' have to allow that you know.
I don't have to deal with it right now because I'm not working, but that is the thing that has bothered me the most about jobs I've had in the past. I really actually liked the last job I had, which was cleaning a store in the mall, but being treated like an idiot and talked down to bothered me quite a bit and not allowing it would have ended up in a scene, which really isn't worth it most of the time.

Lightyear

I am actually fine with menial jobs, they give me the possibility to space out and think about something else.

It also depends on your other preferences, as a Feeler I find working with small children fullfilling even though I am not going to have a meaningful conversations with a toddler (however talking to a child is sometimes more interesting and mindbending then talking to an adult, so being around kids is not anti-N, and it's definitely a meaningful thing to do).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can 'enjoy' very repetitive tasks if there is a set timeframe and I know it isn't permanent/indefinite. So temp work, or a summer job involving data entry, were things I was perfectly fine doing...I could zone out, listen to music whilst doing it, get into a bit of a zen state.

However, permanent more routine jobs (where you're an actual employee and everything coming with that, and theoretically there's no end in sight) are things that cause me to implode and become very unhappy... i.e. a permanent job I had in customer service in a financial company many years ago, where it was endless paperwork, I had reviews a few times a year, had to be on the phone queue sometimes, and it was a career for many people there. I became very unhappy in that role.