• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

(Potential) Model Etiquette

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've done a lot of modeling for artists, and once for a photographer. I'd like to get more jobs and more photo shoots with which to build a portfolio. I have some decent shots already, but could always use more.

A couple of my friends have posted photo shoots on facebook, and I thought it would be a good idea to ask them and the photographers about it. In my direct style, I said the photos were really nice, asked the models if they paid for them or if the photographers just needed models, and asked the photographers if they needed more models. No response from anyone. Was I rude? Should I not have asked those questions? How do I find out these things if I don't ask? Should I have worded things differently? What is the proper etiquette for these situations?

Edit: Actually my friend responded and said she was just busy at the moment, and the photographer responded too and said good things. :) So it was probably the case in the past too that people were just busy. Fe freak out. In any case, it would still be good to know exactly what to say and how and when and all that if anyone feels like they know. Which is just as well as I can't delete a thread.

Last edited:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jeez, 70 people have bothered to look at this thread and no one felt like commenting?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A couple of my friends have posted photo shoots on facebook, and I thought it would be a good idea to ask them and the photographers about it. In my direct style, I said the photos were really nice, asked the models if they paid for them or if the photographers just needed models, and asked the photographers if they needed more models. No response from anyone. Was I rude? Should I not have asked those questions? How do I find out these things if I don't ask? Should I have worded things differently? What is the proper etiquette for these situations?
Did you use PM for those questions?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jeez, 70 people have bothered to look at this thread and no one felt like commenting?
I know I looked at the thread because I thought that "model etiquette" could mean "ideal/best etiquette", with "model" being used as in the term "model citizen"... :shrug: but I don't know if that's something that other people thought.

I have a friend who's a model, and based on what she did, I'd suggest that you hook yourself up with a modeling/talent agency, if you're interested in amping up the amount of modeling work you do.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you use PM for those questions?

I thought of that; I didn't the first time, and I thought maybe that's why she didn't respond. So I did with the second person, and had better luck.

I know I looked at the thread because I thought that "model etiquette" could mean "ideal/best etiquette", with "model" being used as in the term "model citizen"... :shrug: but I don't know if that's something that other people thought.

I have a friend who's a model, and based on what she did, I'd suggest that you hook yourself up with a modeling/talent agency, if you're interested in amping up the amount of modeling work you do.

Oh yeah, maybe they just wanted to see what it was about.

Yeah I've thought of that; but I'm not confident in getting enough work to make paying an agent worth it. And I'm interested in specific things, like artistic work, not just anything.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh yeah, maybe they just wanted to see what it was about.

Yeah I've thought of that; but I'm not confident in getting enough work to make paying an agent worth it. And I'm interested in specific things, like artistic work, not just anything.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Depending on where you're located, I'm sure there are agencies out there that do more specific work. At the very least, it's worth doing a little research, sending out a few additional emails. What's the harm?

Just sayin'. :)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depending on where you're located, I'm sure there are agencies out there that do more specific work. At the very least, it's worth doing a little research, sending out a few additional emails. What's the harm?

Just sayin'. :)
That's true. I haven't really done much research. I live in East Tennessee, so it's not like a big city, but it might be worth looking into.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can join model mayhem http://www.modelmayhem.com/

Ask for tfp shoots.

Possibly look on Craigslist too... Lots of photographers on there looking to expand their portfolio.

Probably lots of creepers tho too so be careful.

LEGERdeMAIN

As a former model, I can assure you that questions are unnecessary, but welcome. Asking questions is a little old-fashioned and should only be done when sitting in front of a GOOGLE screen, however, it's not impolite yet. YET. YETT.>

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've done a lot of modeling for artists, and once for a photographer. I'd like to get more jobs and more photo shoots with which to build a portfolio. I have some decent shots already, but could always use more.

Edit: Actually my friend responded and said she was just busy at the moment, and the photographer responded too and said good things. :) So it was probably the case in the past too that people were just busy. Fe freak out. In any case, it would still be good to know exactly what to say and how and when and all that if anyone feels like they know. Which is just as well as I can't delete a thread.

I'd suggest that you hook yourself up with a modeling/talent agency, if you're interested in amping up the amount of modeling work you do.

^^This.

Look up local modeling/talent agencies- many have open calls/auditions once a month, or once every couple months. No prior experience necessary. They're your gateway to getting regular work. One that I went to suggested I get in touch with a photography professor at a nearby university to get a decent portfolio made for free. Agencies may see potential, & may even offer to pay for any modeling classes you may need- but they like making sure it's worth the investment. They want to be certain you're "consistently photogenic." That applies to both runway & print modeling.

Nearly any professional photographer out of a phonebook will do a modeling portfolio shoot with you to take to talent agencies, but you will pay a few hundred dollars for work like that. It's worth it if their work is good, & you have the money to spend. I didn't, so I took the aforementioned alternative route. I didn't end up pursuing it because my heart wasn't in it, & I fractured my spine shortly after I was offered to participate.. but the loophole with university photographers is certainly worth exploring. They want free models, & like to help young people. Win/win. As for etiquette, simply emailing the professors, succinctly explaining what you're looking for/trying to do, & asking if they need any models for classes, will suffice. That's the other nice thing- professors nearly always get back to you- so no wondering one way or the other. Sometimes if they can't help you, they'll even offer contact info for those who can. Just be yourself & thank them for anything they offer.

Good luck, stay safe. :drwho:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^This.

Look up local modeling/talent agencies- many have open calls/auditions once a month, or once every couple months. No prior experience necessary. They're your gateway to getting regular work. One that I went to suggested I get in touch with a photography professor at a nearby university to get a decent portfolio made for free. Agencies may see potential, & may even offer to pay for any modeling classes you may need- but they like making sure it's worth the investment. They want to be certain you're "consistently photogenic." That applies to both runway & print modeling.

Nearly any professional photographer out of a phonebook will do a modeling portfolio shoot with you to take to talent agencies, but you will pay a few hundred dollars for work like that. It's worth it if their work is good, & you have the money to spend. I didn't, so I took the aforementioned alternative route. I didn't end up pursuing it because my heart wasn't in it, & I fractured my spine shortly after I was offered to participate.. but the loophole with university photographers is certainly worth exploring. They want free models, & like to help young people. Win/win. As for etiquette, simply emailing the professors, succinctly explaining what you're looking for/trying to do, & asking if they need any models for classes, will suffice. That's the other nice thing- professors nearly always get back to you- so no wondering one way or the other. Sometimes if they can't help you, they'll even offer contact info for those who can. Just be yourself & thank them for anything they offer.

Good luck, stay safe. :drwho:
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I'm definitely not consistently photogenic; I'm occasionally photogenic and look awkward the rest of the time. And you have to take about 15 photos to get one with my eyes open if there's a flash; but maybe they could find a way to work on that.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I'm definitely not consistently photogenic; I'm occasionally photogenic and look awkward the rest of the time. And you have to take about 15 photos to get one with my eyes open if there's a flash; but maybe they could find a way to work on that.

Sounds more like photographer issues than necessarily issues with you.. I think good agents and photographers could see past that. Also a good photographer will be able to guide you, so the finished product depicts you at your best. Like I said, some agencies will also put you through classes to get the kinks out, in terms of photos, etc. Long as they see the potential there.