• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What happened to you after college?

Edwin

I think in the current situation when there is the great competition its hard to get the job in your field of study immediately.But in some field like law and other services that related to the law profession can easily get job according to their field of study immediately.

G

garbage

More college. And also working there, but that started when I was.. ... in college..

There's probably not going to be any "after college" for me, ever. I like it too much. :shrug:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Work, work, and more work. Work till I fall dead.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm still in college. :D Originally went in and didn't have my head on straight since I was working two jobs, but I kept my grades high because I decided "Hey, I get it for free, I might as well aim for the stars." So I chose the medical field because I'll be damned if that isn't costing anyone stars.

Got my associates in Science a couple years back. Now I have a pretty good plan (Nurse, then PA, then MAYBE doctor) so I'm running with it.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Did you get a job in your field of study immediately? Did you have to take up part time work before finding a major related job. Did you take a job unrelated to your studies?

I started writing college papers for a living full-time and still do.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I changed direction and moved to NYC to pursue a music career, which had nothing to do with my undergrad degree.

gromit

likes this
I got a job in my field (transportation) worked a few years. I think my ease in getting a job was due mostly to my major (civil engineering). There is a pretty steady demand for civil engineers.

I am off on a new adventure though. Starting a Dr of Physical Therapy program in the fall! A much better fit for my personality, I think, but I can still use some science-y stuff, which is also meaningful to me. I don't anticipate having trouble getting a job as a physical therapist either. Another profession which will pretty much always be in demand, which is at least a small part of the reason I selected it.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Majored in the humanities because I was young, didn't have a clue what I was doing, and thought I might want to go to law school. I actually majored in feminist studies, but my interest in a legal career advocating for women burned out as I got to know people in the field. The more time I spent with lawyers, the more I knew I was never meant to be one of them.

By the time I figured out I wanted to be a doctor much more than anything else, especially a lawyer, I had graduated. (Not the end of the world, I'm 23, and it's fixable at this point.) So, I started a post-bacc to finish up the rest of the pre-med requirements. And that's the point I'm at now. Crossing all of the T's and dotting all of the I's before I apply to medical school.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Might go back and get a Masters in Public Administration, or a Doctorate in Poli Sci and teach.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Failed....left.....got a job. Understood what a waste of time it was for someone like myself to have bothered, a few years of my life I regretted and hated.

However when I look at my fellow classmates, I realise I actually have it better than I thought. I've been incredibly lucky, really, I have mostly just slid around getting jobs by knowing people.

I suppose it helps that I never had any great ambitions, I saw myself as small and simple and so I have led a small and simple life. Perhaps it is that ultimately I always saw our systems that we impose on the world like they were made of glass, one bump and a crack appears.....another bump and the crack spreads....until that one day when it shatters.

This has happened so often throughout history and every time it does, people finally....for once, know themselves and understand the ridiculousness of it all. The status...the titles, they mean nothing except by the consent of those who prop them up.

And we're all consenting....all the time, often without realising it.

Power of imagination I suppose, we believe the structure works...so it does. It certainly is amusing to see how superfluous education is becoming, not because education is unnecessary, but because it is so often wasted on those who only engage in it because they are either told to, or because everyone else is.

Shame really, learning should be about the love and lust for knowledge and understanding, not a framed piece of paper allowing the opening of doors. Although I don't wish to diminish the amount of hard work people put in for those pieces of paper, but we cannot all have them and all expect an open door.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I went into the military and came out horribly scarred 1 year later then struggled with employment for a year where I learned that all bosses will fire me due to "lackadaisical behavior" unless I'm a gymnastics instructor.

Last edited:

momoness

Did you get a job in your field of study immediately? Did you have to take up part time work before finding a major related job. Did you take a job unrelated to your studies?

Yes, I immediately got a job after graduation. This was because I'd interned which nabbed me the job. Plus, my lecturer had contacts in the journalism industry. Since then, I've come close to have to take a few jobs that had nothing to do with my studies, such as being a vet assistant.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got a job in my field right away. I'm pretty sure everyone I graduated with did. We were lucky to pick a field with a lot of job opportunities.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I met my husband during my freshman year. We got married and shortly thereafter, I got pregnant. After I had my daughter, I dropped out, then I had three more kids, finished my AA in general studies when they were in elementary and pre-school. Since then I've been back to school and dropped out three times and I've worked a couple of jobs for less than a year. Now my kids are teens and older, so I have more free-time, but I'm still the go-to person for the family because my husband works out of town. So I clean houses with my mom. I don't know when or if I'm ever going back to work or school seriously.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Got a bachelor's in physics, then a Ph.D. By the time the Ph.D. materialized, two things had happened. The SSC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider) got shut down in 1993, and shortly thereafter the internet become known to the general public. So, when I graduated, I could either work as a post-doc (if I were lucky enough to find one in a physicist market glut) for several years with substandard pay, or go into software development and get paid something reasonable. I chose the latter, and do not regret it; finding interesting jobs (that challenge my mind) with good pay has been remarkably easy even in the worst of times.