• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I need advice on what to major in

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hey guys,

So I'm about to finish my A.A. degree this semester, and transferring to a four year University next semester. The official A.A. will be in psychology. However, I am seriously having doubts about this degree, because of the lack of jobs opportunities in it. I have been broke for a long time, and I have worked a lot of shit jobs. I have done everything from catering to sales, and everything in between. I was just going to drop out of college, and work full-time because of the financial situation. However, it seems that most of the job opportunities that I receive without a college degree just plain suck. I keep getting retail job offers, food industry jobs, and sales jobs. I should probably mention, that I am AMAZINGLY good at sales jobs, but I hate them with an extreme passion! I hate fucking soliciting and having to cold call, knock on doors, go business to business, etc. I also hate the constant fear of not hitting your sales quotas, and then the boss constantly threatening to fire me, if I don't hit them. I am literally a nervous wreck in just about every sales job that I have ever taken, and have to pop Xanax like they're Pez candy to even survive at those jobs. Also, I hate the retail and fast-food jobs because it seems like you and your co-workers are in a constant war over who is going to get more hours (after all there are only so many hours to go around).

Anyway, the bottom line is I need to stay in college without a doubt, but I am questioning what I should major in. Here's a little more information about me in terms of personality: I am an ENTP, 7w6, 3w2, 9w8 SO/SX. In terms of personality, I am very analytical, very extraverted, a very imaginative and abstract thinker, very ambitious, and have a strong need for social prestige. The topics that have really interested me in college are psychology, sociology, economics, political science, humanities, and even a few classes in technology. A couple of other things that I should mention are: I get bored VERY easily, am ungodly good at analyzing things, am extremely good at coming up with ideas, am very good at persuading people, am very good at understanding theoretical principles, and I like careers where things change a lot and are boring and mundane.

My current plan is to get a masters in psychology after my bachelor's and become a licensed mental health counselor, but I'm wondering if that is really that good of a plan? Also, please keep in mind that I often worry about majoring in psychology because I worry whether I will be able to get a master's or not, because I'm not sure if I can afford to. After all I don't want to be stuck with just a bachelor's in psychology, it seems like that alone is worthless. Also, what are some careers that involve a lot of social science principles or are similar in psychology? In addition, should I major in something else that is similar to psychology for my bachelor's and then do a master's in psychology if I decide that, that is what I want to do just to be safe? I really need some advice.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you considered human factors engineering?

G

Glycerine

If you just go up to a masters, you may be very limited, career-wise, especially since you say you have strong need for social prestige (it seems much of it comes from research and publishing articles/books).

What about industrial/organizational psychology? Or focusing on the data analysis/research side of things. If you excel at math, I heard that emphasizing statistics is a good road to take and opens up more job opportunities.

ygolo

My termites win
People who have picked up a wide range of skills often do better as entrepreneurs than as employees for others...especially if one of the skills picked up is sales.

Also, considering this: "In terms of personality, I am very analytical, very extraverted, a very imaginative and abstract thinker, very ambitious, and have a strong need for social prestige.", you may find the process rewarding. If you are going to struggle, wouldn't you prefer to struggle to build something unique, rather than working for someone else?

If this is a path you want to pursue, as far as majors, you could try industrial psychology, followed by an MBA (Though school is not absolutely necessary). There are specialties in MBA programs that heavily focus on psychology. If you are good at sales, you can "sell" yourself to partners who can help with aspects of your new business that you either dislike, or feel unqualified for.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Have you considered human factors engineering?

What is that? I have never heard of that?

If you just go up to a masters, you may be very limited, career-wise, especially since you say you have strong need for social prestige (it seems much of it comes from research and publishing articles/books).

What about industrial/organizational psychology? Or focusing on the data analysis/research side of things. If you excel at math, I heard that emphasizing statistics is a good road to take and opens up more job opportunities.

Yeah, I thought about industrial psychology. I am okay at general math, but I am actually taking stats right now and I FUCKING HATE IT! I mean, I've heard it gets easier when you finish, but it's pretty damn difficult right now. Also, I should mention that they don't have Idustrial/organizational psychology at the school that I am going to, just "Child psych", "clinical psychology", and "counseling".

People who have picked up a wide range of skills often do better as entrepreneurs than as employees for others...especially if one of the skills picked up is sales.

Also, considering this: "In terms of personality, I am very analytical, very extraverted, a very imaginative and abstract thinker, very ambitious, and have a strong need for social prestige.", you may find the process rewarding. If you are going to struggle, wouldn't you prefer to struggle to build something unique, rather than working for someone else?

If this is a path you want to pursue, as far as majors, you could try industrial psychology, followed by an MBA (Though school is not absolutely necessary). There are specialties in MBA programs that heavily focus on psychology. If you are good at sales, you can "sell" yourself to partners who can help with aspects of your new business that you either dislike, or feel unqualified for.

Yeah, that could work, I just wouldn't know what type of business to open. My problem is that I am a very hot-and-cold worker: if I love a job, I can work like 60 hours a week like it's nothing, and if I hate a job then I have to struggle to even come to work 40 hours a week. I mean, it's very important for me to enjoy what I'm doing. So that is pretty much why I am so concerned about what I do for a living.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is that? I have never heard of that?
Check Wikipedia, as well as sites like this: What is HFE?. It basically involves analyzing the interface between humans and machines, systems, processes, etc. Ergometry is part but not all of it. An example is designing airplane cockpits for greatest ease of use by the pilots, so controls and indicators are accessible and visible, and organized to prevent information overload, etc.

The highlighted characteristics in your OP suggested some engineering discipline to me:

Here's a little more information about me in terms of personality: I am an ENTP, 7w6, 3w2, 9w8 SO/SX. In terms of personality, I am very analytical, very extraverted, a very imaginative and abstract thinker, very ambitious, and have a strong need for social prestige. The topics that have really interested me in college are psychology, sociology, economics, political science, humanities, and even a few classes in technology. A couple of other things that I should mention are: I get bored VERY easily, am ungodly good at analyzing things, am extremely good at coming up with ideas, am very good at persuading people, am very good at understanding theoretical principles, and I like careers where things change a lot and are boring and mundane.
Add in extraversion, psychology/sociology, economics, humanities, and that suggests human factors vs. other types of engineering. It is a bit related to industrial psychology, but is more technical and objective. Being persuasive and a good salesperson would give you an edge over many engineers, and would help in getting people to understand and accept the systems you develop.

Are you tied to attending a specific university for your last two years? I would avoid being limited by this if possible. If you are interested in human factors, industrial psychology, or some other field not offered, try to find another university which has it. Just check online. It would also help if you can find individuals working now in fields of interest. They can recommend schools, and well as give you an idea of what day-to-day working life is. You might be a good fit for a small startup company, at least to start. You would not be totally on your own/in charge, but would have plenty of variety, opportunity to generate ideas, though usually with long hours and intense commitment. A few years of this kind of experience, and you can decide what to do next.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Check Wikipedia, as well as sites like this: What is HFE?. It basically involves analyzing the interface between humans and machines, systems, processes, etc. Ergometry is part but not all of it. An example is designing airplane cockpits for greatest ease of use by the pilots, so controls and indicators are accessible and visible, and organized to prevent information overload, etc.

The highlighted characteristics in your OP suggested some engineering discipline to me:

Add in extraversion, psychology/sociology, economics, humanities, and that suggests human factors vs. other types of engineering. It is a bit related to industrial psychology, but is more technical and objective. Being persuasive and a good salesperson would give you an edge over many engineers, and would help in getting people to understand and accept the systems you develop.

Are you tied to attending a specific university for your last two years? I would avoid being limited by this if possible. If you are interested in human factors, industrial psychology, or some other field not offered, try to find another university which has it. Just check online. It would also help if you can find individuals working now in fields of interest. They can recommend schools, and well as give you an idea of what day-to-day working life is. You might be a good fit for a small startup company, at least to start. You would not be totally on your own/in charge, but would have plenty of variety, opportunity to generate ideas, though usually with long hours and intense commitment. A few years of this kind of experience, and you can decide what to do next.

Yeah, I am stuck at in this city for a while. My financial situation is abysmal and I'm afraid to move without having my shit together first. I don't want to wind up homeless.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I am stuck at in this city for a while. My financial situation is abysmal and I'm afraid to move without having my shit together first. I don't want to wind up homeless.
I can understand the practical constraints, but it is unwise to sacrifice your future by settling for a major just because it is available. Could you finish your 2-year program, then work for a year or two to build up your income so you can move somewhere with better options?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I can understand the practical constraints, but it is unwise to sacrifice your future by settling for a major just because it is available. Could you finish your 2-year program, then work for a year or two to build up your income so you can move somewhere with better options?

The problem is, I don't want to move for a major because I keep having so many ideas on what to major in at one time, that I can't limit myself to one. The only one I have been able to stay with is psychology, so it almost looks like I should stay with that one.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You should major in something that involves the objective analysis of people like history or psychology!