• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Job Hunting, Interviewing and Resume Tips

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've usually been interviewed by a boss or at least an SVP so I usually comment on the direction the company has been taking generally.

Those are the kinds of things that are good to do. By the way, I wasn't suggesting you didn't do any of those things I said - was just adding to what you posted because I agreed with it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find this slightly offensive.

I've had my resume looked at by three different people all who say that it is excellent. I graduated in the top ten percent of my class with high honors....and yet...

I have been without a job since I relocated to the good ole' south. Five months without a job. Excuse me - without a job that has meaning, as I work at a local retail store for minimum wage. As of this morning, I've handed out 86 resumes and applications. I've really researched the topic on what I am doing wrong, how I can do better, doing everything in my power to land a job. I've started volunteering, networking, talking to strangers since I'm new the area, all in attempts to FIND A JOB.

If your lucky enough to find a job, then why on earth would you be so negative about the people who are asking for your help?!? I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to resumes and cover letters (no how much I research), they just aren't very good. However, give me an interview and I can guarantee I'll get the job.

In addition to this, I live near a military installation. A lot of the people looking for jobs down here fall into two categories: veterans or military spouses with a HS diploma/GED. There are no jobs in the area that are suitable for those with a college education - and this is straight from the mouth of the employment director on post. Companies do not want to hire someone with a degree when they can hire someone for less with no degree to do the same job. It's a shame, but I rarely make it past the first round before I receive "you're too overqualified, thanks but no thanks" email.

It has nothing to do with "not being aware of what it takes", it simply wanting to be the best so you get a goddamn call back from someone that isn't McDonalds. Being that I lean conservatively, I have no problem working that stupid min. wage job but who in the hell are you to go saying that people aren't "taking the time" to research. You're generalizing about a topic which apparently you know nothing about. SMH.

Then you should move to a place with a better job market. It's what people have done for hundreds of years.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I get this feeling the government and the laws are geared towards Big Business and against small entrepreneurs. Unless one is in IT.

The bigger you are, the more subsidies you get and the less taxes you pay. Free market is an illusion. Too big to fail is like society is spitting in the face of the mom&pop businesses.

In the end we are left with little choice but to "get a job". The rules of the game are set against the average person, yet I'm being bombarded with messages it's somehow my fault.

Excuse me, can I pay as little taxes as Romney? If not, why the hell do you people still pretend it's up to me to make it. It's not. It's stratified society and has been for quite some time now. It's counterproductive to pretend it's not.

"You didn't build this"

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Then you should move to a place with a better job market. It's what people have done for hundreds of years.

My husband's job requires that I stay near. It's not an option unfortunately.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get this feeling the government and the laws are geared towards Big Business and against small entrepreneurs. Unless one is in IT.

The bigger you are, the more subsidies you get and the less taxes you pay. Free market is an illusion. Too big to fail is like society is spitting in the face of the mom&pop businesses.

In the end we are left with little choice but to "get a job". The rules of the game are set against the average person, yet I'm being bombarded with messages it's somehow my fault.

Excuse me, can I pay as little taxes as Romney? If not, why the hell do you people still pretend it's up to me to make it. It's not. It's stratified society and has been for quite some time now. It's counterproductive to pretend it's not.
You are correct about most of this. Our propaganda idealizes the small entrepreneur, but our system promotes the large corporation, even sometimes the monopoly. The answer to companies that are too big to fail is to break them up, but that would require the kind of government "interference" that republicans refuse to consider, and democrats art increasingly too timid to ask for. We see a good example now in the banking industry. Yes, the bailout may be revenue-neutral since the money is getting paid back, but the big banks are still big, and the laws requiring greater transparency in the risky derivatives markets are losing their teeth due to spineless regulation (and strong lobbying by the selfsame industry).

My husband's job requires that I stay near. It's not an option unfortunately.
You could both move to a better job market, so you could both get a decent job. That is increasingly done as well.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The answer to companies that are too big to fail is to break them up, but that would require the kind of government "interference" that republicans refuse to consider, and democrats art increasingly too timid to ask for.

Big and fragile egos.

That's the game. Either be a sheep or an wolf, as ENTJs would say :)

rawr_sheila

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I had to reiterate the same suggestions over and over again to different people. It got to the point where I felt inspired to write an article on the topic -- one that I could simply send to everyone en masse:
Great, do you mind PMing me the article? K thx:smile::thumbup:

Finding a job is difficult these days-there's no doubt about that. And it just happens to be that I live in one of the top metro cities for worst places to find a job according to US news. I have to say, there are various reasons an individual may not get a job. That person may or may not be qualified, and a lot of it has to do with luck and preparation. I want to over exceed in preparation and do all that I can possibly do and know of. Competition will only call for the very best candidates to being hired, but those left behind can choose to persevere in their goals or simply give up.