• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Job search update:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
as you may know i'm looking for a job this week i got two interviews i've been on one, the one i've been on is for a cashiere at local fried chicken place called jack pirtle's http://www.jackpirtleschicken.com/ the other one is to be a standarized patient i can work both jobs since the cashiere job is 24 hours a week and the standarized patient is 6 if i'm lucky.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm a cashier. Hit it up. Be enthusiastic and shit. :D

If you don't land those, keep trying. I've noticed that places that need cashiers are quite liberal in whom they hire, because they will hire you if they need a body to fill a place. That said, you have a great chance if you apply at every place that needs a cashier and give it your all.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm a cashier. Hit it up. Be enthusiastic and shit. :D

If you don't land those, keep trying. I've noticed that places that need cashiers are quite liberal in whom they hire, because they will hire you if they need a body to fill a place. That said, you have a great chance if you apply at every place that needs a cashier and give it your all.
I've been applying all over the place tbh anything i meet the requirements for i apply but i am only looking for part time work at the moment.

Usehername

On a mission
I like that you're looking for a launchpad job right now--it's a specific and named target that you can hit. In the words of Will Smith, the goal is not to build a fantastic wall, the goal is to focus on laying one brick really well, one at a time. And over years and decades, we trust that the wall will come.

All the research says that "Weak Contacts" are your best bet for finding jobs (and mates, btw), because they are networked into a bunch of different social circles than you are. Strong contacts are actually less helpful because your Venn Diagram overlaps too much to explore what's out there beyond what you see in your current position.

So who are your weak contacts? Here at TypeC you know a bunch of 'em. I'd also grab a Reddit account if you don't already have one, and start participating in some sub-reddits there.

If I were in your position, had your present health, and had your current target of looking for a launchpad job (a shorter-term goal that doesn't have to align with your ideal career you want to build later on) I'd be messaging people like @Elaur (what's her new spelling now?), because she worked at home (which given your health is a major plus).

I'd ask her 1.) where to look for launchpad jobs online (i.e. help me locate my attention). And though you probably aren't a gamer like she is, 2.) can she give you some vocabulary search terms for a non-sketchy entry-level position for working online? One that you can do based on her knowledge and insight into the broader work community that she's interacted with? Chances are, though her specific speciality is not what you're qualified for, she probably either a.) has a contact that she can introduce you to, or she can tell you where to focus your efforts.

This post was just an example and I hope that Elaur doesn't mind me using her to illustrate my point, but those are some more tailored strategies that I'd employ. I'm just learning how to network myself.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I want a job, but my parents and doctors all think its a bad idea at this point. saying that i have trouble caring for myself, that i job would be added stress that i may not be able to handle. II don't want to be a lazy bum, but what if they're right and i get a job and end up in the hospital? what do you think I should do?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
um, you need to get your physical health problems fixed first. That's not something you can handle during an 8 hour shift working with the public....

regarding your mental health, I would certainly trust your doctors' advice there. They're professionals, they know what they're talking about.

KDude

I want a job, but my parents and doctors all think its a bad idea at this point. saying that i have trouble caring for myself, that i job would be added stress that i may not be able to handle. II don't want to be a lazy bum, but what if they're right and i get a job and end up in the hospital? what do you think I should do?

If you can, have your doctors help find a job placement program instead. Maybe they might be open to that too, since they could monitor things easier. Also, in that case, you might be able to start off with very minimum hours, to keep the pressure down. Then you can guage if you're capable of more hours later.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If you can, have your doctors help find a job placement program instead. Maybe they might be open to that too, since they could monitor things easier. Also, in that case, you might be able to start off with very minimum hours, to keep the pressure down. Then you can guage if you're capable of more hours later.

yeah my state has a ticket to work program if you're on disability, that my mom wants me to sign up for in a year or two. she doesn't think its a good idea right now, i don't know why she doesn't want me to work. most parents are pushing their kids out the house.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah my state has a ticket to work program if you're on disability, that my mom wants me to sign up for in a year or two. she doesn't think its a good idea right now, i don't know why she doesn't want me to work. most parents are pushing their kids out the house.

prpl, from what I remember reading about you, I think it is because your mom is worried about you.

Just let her know that baby steps to getting a job is good for you and her. It means you can be a bit more independent instead of relying on your parents.

I think it is a good thing that she is worried about you and willing to let you stay in the house. At least, it is better than parents that kick you out when you aren't yet ready yet. But you can't stay inside that house for your whole life, can you? ;)