• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP Occupations

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Careers Selected Most Often by INTP -

1) Scientist: Chemistry
2) Computer Professional
3) Architect
4) Research Assistant
5) Fine Artist
6) Computer Programmer, Systems Analyst, or Support Representative
7) Lawyer
8) Food Service Worker
9) Surveyor
10) Manager: Federal Executive
11) Social Scientist
12) Electronic Technician
13) Scientist: Biology
14) Writer or Journalist
15) Photographer
16) Psychologist
17) Scientist: Life or Physical
18) Actor
19) Computer Operations or Systems Researcher
20) Pharmacist
21) Respiratory Therapist
22) Editor
23) Judge
24) Business: General, Self-Employed
25) Physician: Pathology
26) Suicide or Crisis Counselor
27) Legal Secretary
28) Engineering or Science Technician
29) Engineer; All Categories
30) Counselor: Runaway Youth
31) Allied Health or Health Practitioner
32) Storekeeper
33) Attorney: Administrator, Non-Practicing
34) Dentist
35) Physician: Psychiatry
36) Physician: All Specialties
37) Factory or Site Supervisor
38) Electrician
39) Management Consultant
40) Public Relations Worker or Publicity Writer
41) Engineer: Electrical or Electronic
42) Engineer: Aeronautical
43) Teacher: University
44) City Works Technician
45) Laboratory Technologist or Technician
46) Machine Operator
47) Occupational Therapist
48) Artist or Entertainer
49) Administrator: College or Technical Institute
50) Electrical or Electronic Engineering Technician

INTP Occupations

48, woot! :D

Careers Selected Least Often by INTP -

1) Director of Religious Education
2) Consultant: Education
3) Home Management Advisor or Home Economist
4) Dental Hygienist
5) Manager: Fire
6) Cleaning Service Worker
7) Military Officer or Enlistee
8) Religious Educator: All Denominations
9) Corrections Officer
10) Typist
11) Small Business Manager
12) Teacher Aide
13) Priest
14) Hairdresser or Cosmetologist
15) Teacher: Reading
16) School Principal
17) Health Education Practitioner
18) Library Attendant
19) Sales Manager
20) Marketing Professional

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
World domination should be at the top of the list, or should I say Ultimate Universal Domination!

motivator7973515.jpg

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Intrigued to see lawyer at 7. A lot of the stuff I found while googling around my (past) prospective career+MBTI was "INTPs will hate being lawyers it is an SJ field don't do it".

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Careers Selected Least Often by INTP -

1) Director of Religious Education
2) Consultant: Education
3) Home Management Advisor or Home Economist
4) Dental Hygienist
5) Manager: Fire
6) Cleaning Service Worker
7) Military Officer or Enlistee
8) Religious Educator: All Denominations
9) Corrections Officer
10) Typist
11) Small Business Manager
12) Teacher Aide
13) Priest
14) Hairdresser or Cosmetologist
15) Teacher: Reading
16) School Principal
17) Health Education Practitioner
18) Library Attendant
19) Sales Manager
20) Marketing Professional

I'm not sure if and how librarian are library attendant are different. Maybe they call it differently in Britian? I didn't expect my career to be that rare among INTPs.

KDude

I'm not sure if and how librarian are library attendant are different. Maybe they call it differently in Britian? I didn't expect my career to be that rare among INTPs.

From what I understand, a librarian (at least in the US) takes on more admin stuff (but maybe even a lot of that is still determined by whatever systems the city has chosen).

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
From what I understand, a librarian (at least in the US) takes on more admin stuff (but maybe even a lot of that is still determined by whatever systems the city has chosen).

Where I work, the library branch managers end up doing alot of the admin stuff and the paperwork. The library assistants do alot of the clerical type stuff. They are the ones who register library cards, collect fines and shelve materials. The librarians typically handle the reference questions, evaluate the materials, plan the programs. There is some crossover and librarians do have to do some paperwork and we also sometimes help the library assistants when busy.

Mike5609

MBTI Type
INTP
Intrigued to see lawyer at 7. A lot of the stuff I found while googling around my (past) prospective career+MBTI was "INTPs will hate being lawyers it is an SJ field don't do it".

Well, architect (No. 3 on the list of INTP occupations) can be either NT or SJ. Designing the Sydney Opera House, that 'great architectural work of the 20th century that brings together multiple strands of creativity and innovation' ( http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/166 ) is very much NT, whereas designing boxy low-budget apartment blocks is SJ.

In like vein, law is SJ if it's 'routine law' - the sort of work done by what we in the UK call 'high street solicitors' - bread and butter stuff like drafting wills and transferring title to residential property. Law can be much more NT-flavoured if it's big-corporation advisory work or court work in complex cases.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Well, architect (No. 3 on the list of INTP occupations) can be either NT or SJ. Designing the Sydney Opera House, that 'great architectural work of the 20th century that brings together multiple strands of creativity and innovation' ( http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/166 ) is very much NT, whereas designing boxy low-budget apartment blocks is SJ.

In like vein, law is SJ if it's 'routine law' - the sort of work done by what we in the UK call 'high street solicitors' - bread and butter stuff like drafting wills and transferring title to residential property. Law can be much more NT-flavoured if it's big-corporation advisory work or court work in complex cases.

That was always my instinct re: law, yeah. Hard to find much advice on this specific slant that take account of the structure of the profession in the UK though.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Im a 5. Very surprised to see that so high on the list!

ygolo

My termites win
World domination should be at the top of the list, or should I say Ultimate Universal Domination!

Really? I thought world domination was an NTJ thing.

At least, I don't get it. I would certainly like one of my creations or discoveries to have important on a world stage. But domination?

Also, the original source of this list, I believe, is an old version of "Do What You Are". I am not a big fan of that series. It turns Myers-Briggs into a stereotyping mechanism, and then uses the stereotypes to give career advise.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I'm a translator and interpreter. Other INTPs I know in real life are: mathematician, science journalist, teacher

There are definitely jobs more fit than others, but I don't think it's always as clear cut as that. Two very different people might enjoy the same work for different reasons or appreciate different aspects of it.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really? I thought world domination was an NTJ thing.

At least, I don't get it. I would certainly like one of my creations or discoveries to have important on a world stage. But domination?

Also, the original source of this list, I believe, is an old version of "Do What You Are". I am not a big fan of that series. It turns Myers-Briggs into a stereotyping mechanism, and then uses the stereotypes to give career advise.

If it is domination of people like an emperor, that would be NTJ, but if it is domination of natural forces like an engineer, that would be NTP. Both types are interested in control, but the type of control differs.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I work in a restaurant, model for artists, write, and aspire to perform on silks.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, I'm a translator and interpreter. Other INTPs I know in real life are: mathematician, science journalist, teacher

There are definitely jobs more fit than others, but I don't think it's always as clear cut as that. Two very different people might enjoy the same work for different reasons or appreciate different aspects of it.

/idolizes

I remember when I dreamed of being an interpreter/translator. :D So cool.

Consider me a number seven. Hell yeah.

Mike5609

MBTI Type
INTP
/idolizes

I remember when I dreamed of being an interpreter/translator.

I (day)dream about having a hand in the development of computer translation software that does a decent job. Decent AI-type algorithms that 'sit on top' of the SJ-type grunt processing. There's an analogy with voice recognition software: its context-sensitivity is still poor. So often, instructing 'correct that' throws up the actual dictated phrase at the top of the list of alternatives, in circumstances where quite rudimentary context-sensitivity (at the paragraph level or the page level rather than at the sentence level) would have put it on the page instead of on the list of alternatives.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I (day)dream about having a hand in the development of computer translation software that does a decent job. Decent AI-type algorithms that 'sit on top' of the SJ-type grunt processing. There's an analogy with voice recognition software: its context-sensitivity is still poor. So often, instructing 'correct that' throws up the actual dictated phrase at the top of the list of alternatives, in circumstances where quite rudimentary context-sensitivity (at the paragraph level or the page level rather than at the sentence level) would have put it on the page instead of on the list of alternatives.

Last year an important media source published an article about a supposed breakthrough in CAT (computer aided translation) due to some new brute force approach that searched an enormous text corpus for parallels. So I went and asked a friend who is a computer linguist (and by now working on her PhD thesis in the field of CAT) if my job was still safe. She grinned and said not to worry, they weren't even anywhere near developing a decent translation software.

Mike5609

MBTI Type
INTP
... a supposed breakthrough in CAT (computer aided translation) due to some new brute force approach that searched an enormous text corpus for parallels ... a friend who is a computer linguist (and by now working on her PhD thesis in the field of CAT) ... said ... they weren't even anywhere near developing a decent translation software.

My instinct is that 'they' ARE near, but that they simply don't recognise the route they have to take to get there.

Contrast CAT with computer chess: for the latter, brute-force searching of an enormous (grandmaster) games-history corpus for parallels could only get the computer *near to* the best human efforts, not *ahead* of them. But for CAT, the nearer to best human efforts, the better! - there is no 'ahead'. So database searching *and context sensitivity* is surely the way forward with CAT.