• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what if loops.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
how do you stop these? because they've gotten to the point that i'm psyching myself out when i get ready to apply for jobs. I keep going what if they don't like me, what if i make them believe i can do the job, and i believe it, but can't so they fire me, what if they say no. what if what if what if. and these what if loops have a tendency to get so bad that i end up convincing myself the world is better off without me (I don't think that yet, but i might later)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just STOP. Your focus should be to apply for the job, not what if "so and so."

Sounds easier than I make it sound (because I have that habit at times too.)

The moment you start questioning, just stop. If the goal is to apply for the job, the focus should only be to apply for the job and nothing else.

The what-if scenarios can come when you are on the job, you may find that it isn't as bad as you make it seem. ;)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
how do you stop these? because they've gotten to the point that i'm psyching myself out when i get ready to apply for jobs. I keep going what if they don't like me, what if i make them believe i can do the job, and i believe it, but can't so they fire me, what if they say no. what if what if what if. and these what if loops have a tendency to get so bad that i end up convincing myself the world is better off without me (I don't think that yet, but i might later)

You sound like a 6. It sounds like you are trying to stop precipitory anxiety. In order to do this, I would recommend meditating or doing some other type of distracting activity before you go to the job interview. That's how I stop precipitory.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?

Hmm. I tend to try to quiet those questions with "What is the worst thing that is likely to happen?" Usually it is something like "They'll say no." And then I try to follow it up with "and I'll go do something different."

I deal with quite a bit of anxiety (especially at night, especially if I'm really swamped and go to bed directly from a work mindset) and when it keeps me awake, I sometimes just use mantras. My favorite is "We are here to learn to endure the beams of love." Cheesy? Maybe. But I do stop freaking out and go to sleep.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am a good match for my girlfriend because she thinks what if and I never do.

So my advice would be: find yourself entp help :)

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What if things go well? What if everybody loves you? What if you have a wonderful life ahead of you? What if life is beautiful? What if you just needed to realize it?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^If you don't want to help, just say so...

Just trying to offer an alternative perspective on the same situation. I know if someone is in a hard situation extreme positivity can sound false and self-serving especially if one struggles with depression (as I did for many years). I apologize if my remarks made anyone feel as though their task is even MORE daunting, that was definitely not my intention and I wish the best for [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]

Think about this though. When the average man ejaculates about 300 million sperm are produced. The chance that your specific dna combination would emerge victorious is less than the chance of you winning the mega millions. Now you add the chance of your parents even meeting and wanting to procreate the chance that some alternative event in the billions of years history of the earth could have occured leading to different circumstances and you realize, YOUR WHOLE LIFE IS A STATISTICAL FLUKE! It's pretty fucking amazing, miraculous, and, quite frankly, ridiculous when you think about it. So, you already have beaten MASSIVE odds just to EXIST! Who is to say those odds cannot be beaten once more?

stace_in_cali

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
i used to be the same way. eventually you realize what it costs you when you miss out on opportunities because of lack of confidence.

i know it is easier said than done, but i replaced "what if" with "who cares"

the only way to get anything done is just to jump in rather than overanalyse (i've found this out through trial and erroe)

F

figsfiggyfigs

Once the defined condition has been met. What is the defined condition?

Last edited:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do these loops all the time... I'm a master of them.... It's really crippling actually, my mom does this too, I think I got it from her, and when we're on the phone it's like "The What If? Show" with SNS and her Mom.

But anyway, my best advice to stop them is just to put one foot in front of the other... It's the only thing I found helpful.... Like if I'm getting a job, I'll let the what if cycle go on because it's nearly impossible to stop it for me, but at the same time, I'll just say, "well I'll just write my resume one section at a time" before I know it, all the sections are done, and then the next thing is "well I'll just drop it off." It's the only thing you can do to overcome it, and then as time goes on the loops can quiet down a bit and you feel a little more confident in yourself for being able to overcome your own mind. I've done this for every big situation in my adult life.... Baby steps.

Baby steps to the door.... baby steps down the hall..... baby steps down the street..... baby steps to the place..... baby steps to the counter to ask for an application.....

These loops can DESTROY YOUR LIFE! If you let them... don't let them!!! Take it from me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION]-I'm taking your advice. I managed to ask for an application to one place yesterday and i am turning it in today. still nervous, but this needs to be done.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION]-I'm taking your advice. I managed to ask for an application to one place yesterday and i am turning it in today. still nervous, but this needs to be done.

Awesome :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
close your eyes and jump into it... what's the worst thing that can happen? being told no? much better than being stripped naked, coated in jam and let loose in a bear pen :yes: