• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP with Social Anxiety

IntrovertedThinker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Any ideas what jobs might be suitable for an INTP with social anxiety?
I'm extremely introverted and shy (social anxiety is an extreme, debilitating form of shyness).

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Something where you can work from home or mainly alone with only a few contacts. Depending on your interests you could work in some type of scientific felid work (DNR or something), freelance art/illustration, a writer/researcher, web developer... I worked at a large art museum installing exhibits for a while which I really enjoyed. I spent most of my time on my tasks alone in the gallery and because our departments' offices were separate from the others staff (to be near to wood shop/loading dock) I only had two people to really interact with.

It's might be good for you though work somewhere were you have at least a few contacts so that you aren't letting your anxiety totally take over.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The entertainment industry is fun, so is open mic unpaid work... I'm INTP, but I'm... Learning again and again that, if you share certain feelings with people 'such as I'm depressed', then, people will go.

It's weird, I can handle being the centre of attention, heck, sometimes it's my job to step up and take the spot light, but... I don't know, some feelings are best left alone/bottled up inside.

I think I have this apathy, that enables me to do that, go out on stage and just be me, like, set up home where ever, even there, and feel at home where ever you put me.

scriabin221

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Whatever you're best at. Just find work in whatever you're best at. Social anxiety or none. If you face your anxiety enough it will start to get better. It just starts to go away without you realizing it. Perhaps see a therapist as well? I used have terrible SA, now it's not as bad; it only comes up in certain situations like meeting a new person unexpectedly.

WheresMyBunnies

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Any ideas what jobs might be suitable for an INTP with social anxiety?
I'm extremely introverted and shy (social anxiety is an extreme, debilitating form of shyness).

Its not easy to find work where you can work all alone. There will be some social interaction in almost all jobs.

So perhaps a job where the interaction of new customers are at a minimum. Once you know the people you work with the social anxiety might be less apparent in you.

I had for a long time this idea that I had a lot of social anxiety. But honestly its not that dehabilitating once you get out there. Then you see with your own eyes how many people have the same issues as you, maybe even more expressed.

There's a guy at my company that's even more introverted than I ever have been. But he's really good at his job and you can feel he's getting much more safe around me over the last year.

I still get the occassional friendly toned "you're very quiet to today" from my bosses but that not meant as a demand for social interaction. So the company and the people around mean a lot too. You can feel pretty quickly if its a good place/company for you to work at. If not then there's no shame in leaving.

Personal interaction is so important to the wellbeing of humans, we can only grow in the physical company of other people. So Id suggest finding work in any field of your interest.