• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should I Go Back to School?

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since I had no luck in finding any type of job that seems to fit (I can actually DO the job well) and I feel comfortable doing without feeling like I or someone else criticize me. I was thinking about going back to school where I actually can stay in a dorm, and be far away from my parents. When I was an undergraduate, I had a convenient college that was 15 minutes away from my home. So, I have no life experience being alone trying to pay whatever for food, electricity, etc. It's sad at my age--downright pathetic that I am still so clingy towards my mother for everything. I am trying to get better at my hypersensitivity and social anxiety, but since I'm stuck at home alone for 6 to 8 hours a day while typing on the computer with NOTHING in this town TO DO and all the few friends I seem to have are freaking busy that it's driving me nuts! Basically, I'm understimulated at the moment and try to do some drawing and the like, which is sort of my degree (it's really a BGS,) but I feel no reward in doing it. I can't find any work, so I really want to go back to school to give me something to do, socialize without my mother's help, and give me some more life experience. But the channels of going to grad school...I just don't get it and am not sure if this would be the right path for me or not.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
What do you want to do with yourself? I mean, what calls to you in terms of getting another degree?

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Would you be angling specifically for a degree that would open avenues to a more profitable job, or are you just looking to get out and study something mildly interesting?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Honestly, no, it's not sounding like a good option for you. The grad school experience is very different from undergrad, and you'd better really, really care for your subject. From what you've said, it sounds like you just want something different to do...a change of pace and scenery. That is emphatically NOT a good reason to sign up for what is essentially a really shitty professorial apprenticeship.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Join the military. Change of pace, life experience, travel a little, shoot a gun, etc.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It sounds like you want to develop other aspects of your life. Be careful with this, you only have this time once

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm more of a book worm anyways. Though, I was looking up unversities, but the channels of trying to go through to go to grad school is way too much work for me to handle. The last job I'm desperately avoiding is teaching, especially substitute teaching. It's too much of a miserable job having to discipline children 5 days a week. I see no reward in a job that is said that "Oh~it's so rewarding!" Teachers get too much flak from parents; they basically have to be some sort of a babysitter. I'm 5'0" and built small framed. Do you think kids would respect me? No!
Some changes gone on this year to where my volunteer work I used to do went down the tubes and I'm miserable at the new curriculum we're doing. I think maybe I need to find another volunteer area that gives me a creative outlet in my town.