• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any Entrepreneurs Here?

ygolo

My termites win
Are there any Entrepreneurs/Business Owners on this forum?

If so, how did you start your business?

What was your initial business plan?

How did you get the seed capital?

How did you change your plans as time went on?

How successful is it (profitability, sustainability, providing the opportunities you wanted for yourself, etc.)?

How do you think your Myers-Briggs type influenced/influences your behavior during the start-up and growth phases of your venture?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
since nobody has responded, ill speak up... i own my own business! :D

its not a real business, just a registered one that i use as an umbrella for certain things

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
:popc1: is that why you operate on a gray scale?

Not an entrepreneur. Considered it, but decided a steady paycheck was what my family needed for now.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
^ you did technically respond, my bad. i was referring to the initial question, "Are there any Entrepreneurs/Business Owners on this forum?"

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
ygolo these are a good set of questions...I'll be watching to see if you get any meaningful answers since this subject interests me as well. I love what I do...I love the history and raw materials or else I could not sustain my drive. For me this is a vocation rather than a strict business.

I began my career choice late and decided to get the best information I could from the top practitioners in my field. I also took a job at a retail outlet that was focused on my industry, both to learn and network. I left that job after 6 or 7 years to go to work at two separate entrepeneur run business. The first I spent with a restoration/repair shop that had been recently opened by a graduate of a 2 year technical training program...I left that for the greener pastures of a recently relocated craftsman with a more established track record in custom work and repair, where I stayed for a year until a very nice workspace near my home became available. I leased that for two years, which were tough not the least because the phone book had neglected to list me under several headings that I had requested. Ouch.

My initial plan was a five-year plan to get the business up and self sustaining. The main engine of this would be restoration of wooden furniture. I prefer to build what I like...but that is pure speculation and a gamble. People usually always have furniture that needs repair, though I tried to limit myself to fine antiques, you take what comes through the door. Towards the end of my lease I was seriously considering supplementing the shop income with a second job to keep things afloat.

There was no seed capital. What I made went right back into the business. My five year plan was suddenly ended when I had the opportunity to move 600 miles away and work in a well established shop (my dream job) that specialized in my area of interest...so I closed down my shop. In retrospect, this was a mistake. I have my own vision and it is a challenge to work for others when you have developed your own methods and philosophies. That lasted about a year and I moved on to another shop 100 miles further away from my original home. That went about a year as well and then I returned to Michigan where I had begun; my machinery and supplies gone, scattered or in storage far away.

The most significant adjustment to my plans was decideding to utilize my skills on behalf of someone else rather than in realizing my own compositions for speculative sale. Early on I also added teaching to my bag of tricks which has been very helpful in a number of ways. The last few years have been a number of fits and starts that would hobble anyone....I should have stayed the course in my own shop where I had already begun to create a presence in the local market and build a solid reputation. oh well. 20/20 hindsight.

Lack of capital for marketing and supllies really hurt. I could only be reactive when finances allowed. I could not take a proactive approach when an opportunity arose without ready funds.

Now here I am rebuilding again, in another place. Not making a living but selling a few things. Teaching a bit to help things along. It's a challenge, but I love the work.

I often test IStj, IStp, ISfj and I am no expert on these preferences. But I found that as long as I work alone or am in charge, things go well. When I work for another, it is challenging. I cannot accept authority from someone I do not trust as reliable. This field is very subjective. There is no standardization for results it is always opinion alone rather than true objective criteria tha decides quality. I trained up to work in a fairly rigorous high quality method and this is not the way most people run their shops. And of course all shops differ in sometimes suprising ways. I tend to want to work alone with my tools and space undisturbed. I am not too communicative when focused so I tend to alienate employers and co-workers who tend to feel that I am being aloof or condescending, which lead to suspicion and ridicule on occasion. I am first to admit that I have a lifetime of learning ahead of me, and I am always grateful to learn something that adds to my understanding of the craft. Trying to remain open to improvement while working for people who are needlessly anal, neurotic, insecure, immature, irresponsible, possibly criminal or just plain assholes is distracting from my work. In that situation, developing a meaningful dialog about the work is difficult. It is best that I run the shop for everyone and every object involved. I am often too rigid and this has a price in business. You need to be flexible in many areas so you are able to respond to opportunities and changes. And no matter how well meaning everyone is, this sort of thing is hell on a marriage. Open honest communication is necessary. Hope that helps a bit.

ygolo

My termites win
Thanks for sharing Hirsch. It was illustrative.

Anyone else have start-up stories?

attilla the honey

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I am a serial entrepreneur. I started a skiwear manufacturing business when I was 26. I was able to get a large contract in the first year, but no working capital, extremely tough. I grew it to about 10 mil and then sold it to one of my customers after about 7 years. In between I got married and had 2 kids.

Started another business with my husband the year I sold the first business. Looking to sell that business now around 12 years in.

I am currently the hired president of a large manufacturing company that is privately held. I have been asked to buy the business, as I have turned it around and it is making nothing but cash right now. Probably won't buy it as it needs major machinery upgrades as the owners haven't invested in capital assets during the past 10 years.

I like both owning and building businesses. I hate maintaining businesses.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I own my own consulting firm and while I didn't have startup costs, my husband's income balanced out the ups and downs of mine in the first 10 years, providing a safety net.

To get started, I actually thought writing would be the basis of my career. I did some volunteer activities so that I"d complete some writing projects, which synchronistically ended in a partnership with a well-known person in my field. We wrote some manuals together and pretty soon everyone assumed I was as much of an expert as she. But I chose my own specialty and had to work my tail off to find clients and be accepted. It's what I'm passionate about, though, and that makes it works. That's where my type plays in the most--I can delve in deeply once something becomes a just cause. Now at least half my time goes to consulting and I've never written the historical novels and kid's sci fi that I thought would highlight my career.

I stink at the business side, though, let the finances sit around unsupervised, got taken to task yesterday by a colleague for not engaging a lawyer to look at a contract, etc. That's also about type. I assume everyone is in things for the common good (will I ever learn?) and hate taking time away from the actual consulting where I see results for mundane things like contracting...I get a bit wiser each year so maybe by the time I retire I'll know what I'm doing.

ygolo

My termites win
Thanks atilla and edcoaching. I hadn't checked this thread in a while, and didn't realize people had posted.

I am curious if people gave you strife for starting your own business instead of getting a "real job."

attilla the honey

MBTI Type
ENTJ
My parents were first generation immigrants who came from families who were business owners, so they were in fact, extremely proud that I started my own businesses.

Some people just don't understand business owners, so I joined TEC, when my business was up and rolling just to be around other business owners who had the same concerns. Many of the initial group members have become lifelong friends.

If I were to start all over again, I would probably join a business group right away and make sure I had more background in accounting financial statements. Right now I can run circles around accountants in accounting, but at the beginning, I was a mere babe in the woods.

Banks in Canada offer small business owners really incredible 2 day programs on reading financials and what banks are looking for...

ygolo

My termites win
My parents are immigrants, as am I. However, they came over as "Professionals" on work visa. Nearly everyone in my extended family is either an Engineer or a Doctor. Engineering is a decent fit for me, but I just don't like the lack of creative control or individual inquiry.

What's "TEC"? :blush:

Also, for financial/accounting info, are you talking balance sheets, and cash-flow type stuff, or do things get more complicated than that?

attilla the honey

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hi there, TEC is The Executive Committee, but there are organization like YEO which I think stands for Young Entrepreneurs Organization.

Because I was in manufacturing, I needed cost accounting, as well as tax and management accounting. When I was consulting (after I sold my first business), I was going into businesses where the owners were really ignorant of the all of the statements as well as the ratios for the banks.

So, whenever I am asked about the more important thing about starting a business, I always tell people to get an education on the financial side of the business especially the cost accounting and the ratios the bank and other lenders will expect from you.

So what is the problem with starting an engineering firm or software or commercial construction or oil and gas consulting???

I know many engineers who own oil and gas companies or exploration companies who have complete control (except over the markets)???

ygolo

My termites win
Hi there, TEC is The Executive Committee, but there are organization like YEO which I think stands for Young Entrepreneurs Organization.

Thanks for the tips.

Because I was in manufacturing, I needed cost accounting, as well as tax and management accounting. When I was consulting (after I sold my first business), I was going into businesses where the owners were really ignorant of the all of the statements as well as the ratios for the banks.

So, whenever I am asked about the more important thing about starting a business, I always tell people to get an education on the financial side of the business especially the cost accounting and the ratios the bank and other lenders will expect from you.

I guess I don't know what I don't know. I got a 10-day MBA book and there was a whole section on ratios. They all made sense to me conceptually, but can't say I have commited them to memory.

So what is the problem with starting an engineering firm or software or commercial construction or oil and gas consulting???

I know many engineers who own oil and gas companies or exploration companies who have complete control (except over the markets)???

There is nothing wrong with starting an engineering company. That is a dream of mine. The main obsticle is my own self-confidence. The main reason I would want to be an entrepreneur is for freedom. But I know that businesses can actually end-up sucking-up all the owner's time on things he/she dislikes doing (which would defeat the purpose). I am not sure I am extroverted enough for the task of persuasion.

I told my parents I was interested in starting my own company and they freaked. "You're a smart guy, but you're no Bill Gates," was one phrase uttered.

There is a perception in the circle of people I am around that entrepreneurship has high risks of financial ruin, and most of them are quick to point out that I have a high-paying job already. "Why get greedy?" (I have a hard time explaining the freedom angle) If I can clearly seperate "failure" from "financial ruin," then I would be far less hesitant.

To paint a clearer a picture, by background is in integrated circuits. The main tracks I was interested in are either a Fabless Semiconductor business or an Electronics Design Automation firm. Here is a self-touting video on EDA.

The main reason, for these choices is that I don't (haven't) like(d) the tools nor the methodology used in any of the chips I've worked on (4 distinct, i.e. non-stepping chips, in three different organizations). I believe they all suffer from similar flaws in methodology. And the tools...

Quite frankly, I believe EDA tools (collectively) are the worst quality comercially sold software on the face of the planet, and that the people who use the tools are as much to blame for the crapiness as the tool makers (long, rantish story).

At the same time, chip manufaturing is subject to Moore's Second Law, and design suffers from a similar phenomenon. Imagine having twice as much data every 18 months, and using the same crappy (often one generation crappier) tools.

I would love to create a methodology+tools to run circles around more backward thinking companies, but for a business plan I would prefer a Blue Ocean approach. Beating another (large, sucessful) company, seems like poor motivation for a business.

Anyways, I could go on like that... I have a lot of internal issues to work out before I venture out.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
ygolo: just curious, what MBTI Type are you?
i just want to say that firstly, i'm really impressed (honestly!) about ur high-ambitions to start an engineering company! ..and here i thought there's almost NOBODY in our generations nowadays want to do any engineering-related job,..let alone to start an engineering company! but boy, how i was wrong after i've read ur passionate reply!
how old are you btw?

and secondly, this post of yours further enhanced my 'deep feelings/belief' that everybody sure does have his/her own place in this world!
i mean, i might be viewed as probably the most childish, not mature, idealistic guy for NOT wanting to work in an engineerring company (it was my dad's offer to me, and he got mad by my response, and started calling me all of the above) and instead want to start doing what i'm really PASSIONATE at: Music!..but then now i know that really, it's all depending on EACH person's Personality-type, too !
my "place" would easily got replaced by you, in this case !
since my Dad likes all technical things, he seems to easily assume that I HAVE to like those technical things too, which unfortunately, i'm not ... i'm very different from my dad, from Personality-type, until our perspective & opinions about many things in Life & what we value..

ygolo

My termites win
ygolo: just curious, what MBTI Type are you?
i just want to say that firstly, i'm really impressed (honestly!) about ur high-ambitions to start an engineering company! ..and here i thought there's almost NOBODY in our generations nowadays want to do any engineering-related job,..let alone to start an engineering company! but boy, how i was wrong after i've read ur passionate reply!
how old are you btw?

Thanks for the encouragement. I am a 28 y.o. intp.

and secondly, this post of yours further enhanced my 'deep feelings/belief' that everybody sure does have his/her own place in this world!
i mean, i might be viewed as probably the most childish, not mature, idealistic guy for NOT wanting to work in an engineerring company (it was my dad's offer to me, and he got mad by my response, and started calling me all of the above) and instead want to start doing what i'm really PASSIONATE at: Music!..but then now i know that really, it's all depending on EACH person's Personality-type, too !
my "place" would easily got replaced by you, in this case !
since my Dad likes all technical things, he seems to easily assume that I HAVE to like those technical things too, which unfortunately, i'm not ... i'm very different from my dad, from Personality-type, until our perspective & opinions about many things in Life & what we value..

I too believe there is a place for everyone. I have wanted to be an "inventor" since I was about 8 y.o. I don't know how that idea got stuck in my head, but I cannot rid myself of it (Believe me, I've tried). That word has particular connotations for me (patents and money-making are just means to ends), and this has turned into an obsession of sorts. I've put myself into situations at work and school where I am severely under-qualified, just for the opportunities to learn. But in the process, I have wrecked my self-confidence. Despite the lack of confidence, my desire continues to be strong.

attilla the honey

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ygolo, are you kidding me, why aren't you in business already? Most entrepreneurs have partners that make them "whole", so why wouldn't you be the inventor/product design and find a partner who would be the "face" and operations of the company if you feel your introversion wouldn't work? You should look for an ESTJ with a not so strong S with connections in your industry. (2 N's would theorize all day and not get the details done.)

Yes, a business is all involving and can steal your time, but there is a time, generally around 7 years into the business, where the cash is good, the people are good and the customers are good, so you are able to spend more time on your own pursuits.

I love doing all the jobs in a business. My staff and the plant where I am president all know, I know how to do every job in the factory, so they cannot hide or do the job poorly. I love to learn new jobs and my latest is back into factory engineering and plant retooling.

Right now our factory growth is through encapsulation of electronics for the oil and gas industries. Our product is for remote control of wells. I understand the biggest issue facing the industry is how to protect the electronics from the cold and rain and our cold pour process protects the electronics.

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
No, I am not

Maybe one day.

But I just had some neighbor come over and try to sucker me into some multi-level marketing scheme. He told me I could make 4000 a month part time and that other people make 20 to 30000 after being with the company for a few years. Clearly all lies.

ygolo

My termites win
Ygolo, are you kidding me, why aren't you in business already?

Actually, I have tried a few things "on the side", albeit somewhat half-heartedly. The most promising idea so far is to start a hedge fund after I get good enough at trading with my own money. If nothing else, I will learn how to trade well, which is a boon in itself. I actually pursue low-risk, home-based, part-time business opportunities on a regular basis. Each time, I get a little more disciplined.

I am also starting to firm-up product ideas for EDA tools. Each time, I have a horribly frustrating time at work with a tool, it provides fodder for what my tools will (and wont) be like. There is a particular tool-suite that I believe will be incredibly hard to beat if I can figure out the algorithms (they are rather tricky). All I need to work on this is my home computer, and a C/C++ compiler. In fact, the speed-up is potentially, so great that I may even use Java (which naturally takes advantage of parallelism).

A pair of my old classmates (both INTJs) created an "incubator" while doing their phd's with 12+ companies involved, and a couple of them did really well. Right now, they are focusing full-time (discontinued their phd's) on a social networking site.

What is your take on requiring 8+ months worth of spending money available before venturing out on your own?

That is the main reason I haven't quit my job. Actually, the advise to inventors in particular is to keep your day job till your first really successful invention.

Maybe one day.

But I just had some neighbor come over and try to sucker me into some multi-level marketing scheme. He told me I could make 4000 a month part time and that other people make 20 to 30000 after being with the company for a few years. Clearly all lies.

Not all network marketing schemes are rip-offs. Many have been around for a while and have actually made millionaires. I think Amway (now part of Quixtar) is one such thing. My cousin is actually participating in this.

You have to be careful how you approach selling your products, however. Because pressuring your friends and family for sales can lose your relationships very quickly.

Also, if you sign-up and do nothing with it, of-course you will loose your money. One of the weird things is that most of these things expect you to use the products they are selling (that's how they use the "power of the network"). So if you wouldn't use the products yourself, don't get involved.

However, I have met people who have are close to replacing their salaries, others who do network marketing full-time, and yet another who is a millionaire (through various businesses) who has also participated in many network marketing programs (not all are equally beneficial).

You have to look at it as a (non-traditional) sales job. Selling products gives you commissions. "Training employees" (a.k.a. creating a successful "down-line") in effect gives you a promotion in their organization.

Calculate your cost of membership vs. the commissions you expect (not what they tell you to expect). If those make sense, it may be a legit program. Companies use this method to sell products because it is a lot cheaper than growing a sales force internally. They get a lot of sales to people who end-up never using their product.

How many people buy and never use the George Foreman Grill, or exercise equipment, or even book-club or magazine subscriptions, and never use them?

It's the same sort of thing. It may be a rip-off, but often "scam" or "fraud" is inaccurate. jmo.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh heaven help us, no!!!!

I mean, I would love to have my own business, but I think I'd kill even the most thriving enterprise....

Just wasn't made for it, I guess. :blush: