• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I've been looking to the disability stuff

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and it looks like you have to of had a job in order to recieve benefits. now i qualify except for that, but the main problem is their's serious doubt from my therapist and parents about my ability to hold a job. so I was wondering am I missing something? the whole things really confusing. I mean i suppose i could try and get a job and hope i can prove them wrong. but i have trouble completing the daily tasks required to be a functional human being

Getting on disability can be a pretty rigorous process. I know too that drugs/drinking is a criteria flagged in decisions regarding whether one is judged disabled. Not sure how you would pan out. You would have to have a psychological or physiological condition that would prohibit you from functioning in any form of job. You'd have to file a claim, get some medical checkups and vocational experts to examine your case, etc. Also, any form of income past a certain amount could prevent you from being declared disabled and receiving disability checks.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I give up. this actually has nothing to do with alcohol, believe it or not. I'm not talking about getting disability because i driink too much. I'm talking about getting disability because i'm schizoaffective and need to get some form of insurance so i can pay for my meds next year. I do want to get a job.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I give up. this actually has nothing to do with alcohol, believe it or not. I'm not talking about getting disability because i driink too much. I'm talking about getting disability because i'm schizoaffective and need to get some form of insurance so i can pay for my meds next year. I do want to get a job.

You can get disability for your schizoaffective but I believe Jennifer's point is that they will drug test you and ask you how much you're drinking. It interferes with your health and wellness.

You can't be mentally ill and on medication and take drugs or drink heavily.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You can get disability for your schizoaffective but I believe Jennifer's point is that they will drug test you and ask you how much you're drinking. It interferes with your health and wellness.

You can't be mentally ill and on medication and take drugs or drink heavily.

i'm actually not worried about the drinking.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A senior rehabilitation counselor will be able to help you.

Still hoping you can find one of these experts to help you navigate the process, if you are considering it. They can also help you with employment options now.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my mom is helping me fill out my medical history tonight, and i'm calling to get an appointment tomorrow.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
my mom is helping me fill out my medical history tonight, and i'm calling to get an appointment tomorrow.

Good. The process for getting disability can be pretty difficult, but it sounds to me like you've got a pretty legit case. Having a professional (social worker, lawyer, someone like that) to help you out would be an asset, too. My mom got her SSI while she was in the hospital the last time. I hope that you can find someone who can help outside of that context, of course...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've filled out the application, and today i'm taking my medical records down and calling for an interview. So nervous, what if i don't get it. I don't want it actually, but my parents are making me and saying that i can sign up for PASS and work towards full employment, but that i need it now.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It can be extremely difficult to get disability. How much of a medical history do you have? How far back does it go? Is it well-documented? Have you been considered unemployable for at least two years? You don't have to answer that but all those things are really important in building your case. It will be on you to prove that you cannot keep a job, not even a part-time one. And it's a system rigged to red-tape and road-block the applicants every step of the way. Which is going to mean rude people, contradictory or incorrect information, and some really bad doctors that they may request you see as a part of your evaluation.

You may want to talk to a disability lawyer about it. If your case is good, then you can find one that will take a percentage of your initial disability award as payment, so that you don't have to pay upfront. It's kind of messed up, but they do know how to work things in the SSA's bureaucratic maze. They will also tell you upfront if you case is even worth pursuing.

If you do get it, you will have to have periodic assessments to see if you still qualify for it. I lost mine during one of these "checks" since I was misdiagnosed in the first place. You'll also have to see a vocational rehabilitation counselor as a part of it. They can help but you will help yourself if you go in there already armed with an idea of what you might like to do because lukewarm responses from social services is the norm.

You can PM me if you'd like more details.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
and it looks like you have to of had a job in order to recieve benefits. now i qualify except for that, but the main problem is their's serious doubt from my therapist and parents about my ability to hold a job. so I was wondering am I missing something? the whole things really confusing. I mean i suppose i could try and get a job and hope i can prove them wrong. but i have trouble completing the daily tasks required to be a functional human being

I was in your situation recently. I did the whole therapist thing too. I tried to disability for PTSD, but it's very hard to get. There are so many people applying for it that it takes about a year or so to get. Now the problem is that in that one year's time or so, you can't have really worked a job or they will slash your benefits before you even get them because they will say that you are okay to work. Usually what happens is that the first time you apply for SSI they deny you, and then you pretty much have to get a lawyer to get your benefits for you. The good news is that the lawyer will accept the first payment after they get the benefits, but you still have to pay them later. It is affordable though. The question that you really have to ask yourself is, "Can I afford to be without employment for a year until my benefits arrive." Personally, I can't, and that's why I just go to school full-time. Also, I plan on getting a non-stressful part-time job to get me through until I get over my PTSD.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've been hospitilized in the over the past year 3-4 times for my illness, It's been ruled that i shouldn't live alone, My medical records from the first hospital (where I was diagnosed) stated that i had flat affect, unable to state my needs, answer questions inapproiately, respond inapproriately emotionally to things. so I don't know if that helps build my case or not.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I've been hospitilized in the over the past year 3-4 times for my illness, It's been ruled that i shouldn't live alone, My medical records from the first hospital (where I was diagnosed) stated that i had flat affect, unable to state my needs, answer questions inapproiately, respond inapproriately emotionally to things. so I don't know if that helps build my case or not.

Probably so (especially if a doctor or court has ruled that you shouldn't live alone). I hope this works out for you; it sounds like you've got a pretty good case.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

I'd go for it then. It sounds like your parents are willing to support you until you can get disability anyway. You sound like a shoe-in for it.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Congrats, I hope it helps improve your life and livelihood.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I got the deposit today, first thing i did was pay off 200 on my credit card.