• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I wanted to get away

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I wanted to get away from the house, whilst following my ideals as closely as possible.

I met with a careers adviser, Kate, and she directed me towards a community for people with learning disabilities. I visited the community some 40 miles away, optimistic in its Anthroposophical ideas and biodynamic agriculture, as well as the general communal lifestyle.

The tour was pleasant, the grounds and people were wonderful. I was smiling the entire train journey home at the thought of spending at least a year there helping people, learning new skills and acquiring independence; all whilst retaining most of my principles and ideals.

On my return home, I was uncharacteristically productive. I quickly got my passport photo sorted, and went to the Police Station to sort out a check (the community shares grounds with a Waldorf school). The Police Check took 40 days to arrive. Not only did I get the wrong check, but I also discovered MBTI in those 40 days.

So on top of my time induced emaciated optimism, I have now discovered I am an INTP. All the career profiles I have read suggest that I should avoid interpersonal work. The work I would be doing would be very emotionally intense and demanding social work. Where Steiner created the theory, I will be part of the practical implementation; feeling and judging (presumably).

Should I thank my lucky stars and avoid this at all costs? Or think of it as an excellent opportunity to develop my weaknesses with the possibility to use the experience of the position for future scope of reaching a potential position where I am able to stretch my INTP talents?

Things to keep in mind: I don't have a University education, so I may not have a choice but to face my weaknesses. Other personality types are probably better suited to the job: The welfare of those with learning disabilities comes first and foremost.

I know it's a decision I have to make, but there will be insights that I have overlooked, and any experience/guidance that could be helpful would really be appreciated.

Thank you for reading.
paul.
(colmena)

spirit-beehive-wide.jpg

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Do what you want to do--go there. Don't categorise yourself and as a result inhibit yourself from doing that which you are passionate about.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Colmena, a couple INTPs on this forum have studied or have discussed careers in psychology -- Edahn is one and Oberon is another.

The creators of MBTI (apparently) never meant for it to be a limiting indicator for jobs. Just because your 'recommended jobs' don't encompass what is your calling or passion, don't give up on it because of a piece of paper.

While it's true you will find many NTs in the IT field, you will also find NFs, SJs, and SPs.

Personality type can only point you in the right direction as to your strengths and weaknesses, but there are many ways to be successful at a job and do a job right.

Personality type will indicate areas types will generally be drawn to, but it can not and does not tell you what you want to do with your life and what makes you feel inspired. Only you know that.

I would say if you are very motivated and feel this is right for you, do it.

And just remain cognizant, as you always should, of how you're doing in the job and reacting to the environment and tasks.

Whether you decide to stick with it in the long run or not, the experience should give you great insight into yourself, not to mention others and benefit you can bring people.

Good luck. ;)

PS David Keirsey was INTP, Isabel Myers (his mentor) was INFP.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Do what you want to do--go there. Don't categorise yourself and as a result inhibit yourself from doing that which you are passionate about.

I'm not certain that I am passionate about it. I planned for it to be a stop-gap to learn independence and some practical skills, whilst being able to live a certain way of life. But, obviously, my reaction to the community suggests that I was passionate about it, but it could have just been about moving on.

Colmena, a couple INTPs on this forum have studied or have discussed careers in psychology -- Edahn is one and Oberon is another.

The creators of MBTI (apparently) never meant for it to be a limiting indicator for jobs. Just because your 'recommended jobs' don't encompass what is your calling or passion, don't give up on it because of a piece of paper.

While it's true you will find many NTs in the IT field, you will also find NFs, SJs, and SPs.

Personality type can only point you in the right direction as to your strengths and weaknesses, but there are many ways to be successful at a job and do a job right.

Personality type will indicate areas types will generally be drawn to, but it can not and does not tell you what you want to do with your life and what makes you feel inspired. Only you know that.

I would say if you are very motivated and feel this is right for you, do it.

And just remain cognizant, as you always should, of how you're doing in the job and reacting to the environment and tasks.

Whether you decide to stick with it in the long run or not, the experience should give you great insight into yourself, not to mention others and benefit you can bring people.

Good luck. ;)

PS David Keirsey was INTP, Isabel Myers (his mentor) was INFP.

Thank you for such a generous post, it's comforting to an INTP who feels that he is in the wrong shell.

Now I just need to silence those demons that tell me not to do it, become a projectionist instead. It's difficult when I know it's going to be a job that I'll find very very uncomfortable being in, and my nature tells me to not even bother, that I'll fail anyway. Thank lordy for motivational movies.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I'm fully agreed with what CzeCze said above. Sure, there might other personality types that would perhaps more naturally "match" the job skills required for the job, but who is to say that the skills that you posess are not invaluable to what the people need there as well? You have the ability to bring a new perspective, and if you're passionate about this cause then you should definitely go for it. Like you said above, you'll be there for at least a year....which really, a year is not so long in the grand scheme of things. Try something new, challenge yourself, and be willing to learn. Don't allow others or yourself to succumb to stereotypes that tell you what you are and are not capable of.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Thank you, Recoleta, you're probably right. I guess I was asking how much is in a type, and how concrete are they?

To answer myself: I think they have to be flexible, because I don't want to live the way I do now for the rest of my life.