• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fianancial Goals for the year.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Well what are your financial goals for the year?

I just became a Realtor a few months ago (got my license in Jan.), and now am an agent with Prudential Network Realty. As a first year agent, with zero prior experience, I would like to make more than 45k this year.

I would like to begin saving (in addition to regular savings) to eventually be able to cover a 25% down payment on a piece of investment rental property.

My carrot on the end of the stick is to be able to buy an autocross car off the husband of one of the other agents in my office by the end of the year.

How do you plan to get there?

Maximizing my online presence. Most of the agents around here are old ladies that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to the web. I've already got my website working, customized it for functionality and to optimize it for search engine returns. I'm going to be starting a blog (something I've wanted to do for a while) and tie that into my site.

At convention there was a second year agent that closed $18 million on properties in California just due to hits and interest in his blog.

I've been taking a multifaceted marketing approach to all my open houses. I canvas the neighborhood, with flyers, then go to a move up neighborhood and canvas there.

I email Ecards with the open house announcement to my entire contact list, with a link to a complete virtual photo tour of the home featuring photos from a professional photographer.

I also tie this marketing into social networking platforms such as Facebook and Linkedin.

Given the nature of the real estate market at the moment, I've decided to focus on representing buyers.

Additionally, I've been trying to help out really productive agents. If I hold enough of their listings open, and demonstrate an ability to lock down buyers. They will begin to depend on my open houses, and refer more clients, properties my way. They benefit off my relatively free schedule, and ability to hold open houses, and spend time with buyers, and I benefit off their huge networks of personal contacts.

How are you planning to grow your business this year?

I'm trying grow my business relationship with successful agents. Focusing on open houses. Growing my online presence. Providing the best customer service I possibly can.

Are you developing your personal business brand?

First and foremost, I'm trying to demonstrate to my Broker that I'm a closer. If you're not bringing $ in, you're dead. Once I've got a proven track record of transactions, more people will be likely to send leads my way.

To get there, I'm trying to be the most full service agent around. With my last customers, I went through the purchase and sale and all relevant addenda (of which there were many) line by line, explaining all the legalese, and made sure to get the lending agent in on a conference call to help explain each line item of closing costs.

This took three and a half hours. But I did it with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. I didn't get out of that office until 9pm, but I guarantee you one thing, those clients will never go with another agent as long as they live in Florida. And any one they know who needs to buy or sell a home they will send my way.

Their folks are moving to FL, and they already promised to send that business my way.

That's the way I'm branding my self, I'll do literally everything I can for you (schedule permitting).

If you've been trying any new business approaches in 2012 so far, how have they worked for you?

I decided to pursue real estate this year and so far everything is coming up roses. I've already got one house under contract with my first buyers, who I picked up at the second open house I did.

And yesterday, I locked down an appointment to sign the representation agreement with a young navy couple at another open house I was doing.

Do you feel like your career or business are running you instead of the other way around?

If so, planning and bouncing ideas off other folks (like in this thread) is a great way of getting your self where you want to be.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
20% year-to-date return on aggregate total of all invested securities by mid-December.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
8.6% the last two years during a down economy. Given that, this will be a piece of cake.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
8.6% the last two years during a down economy. Given that, this will be a piece of cake.

I can't speak to local conditions all over the country, but if the trends I'm seeing here in FL are any indicator, we're on the leading edge of a Real Estate turn around.

The time to buy a home is now, interest rates are at historically low levels.

It is cheaper to own a home than to rent.

If you can cover the down payment, and are at a place where you are ready to buy, do it now.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I know, but it's all true.

Take a look at this.

For 150k home, with a 3.5% down payment (which is the norm for FHA financing), and a rate of 3.875 on a 30 yr mortgage your monthly payment would be $684.

I bet you can get more house for 150K (assuming you can cover the DP) than you can rent for $684/mo.

I really hate sounding like an infomercial.

But it's true, so true in fact that I'm planning on putting my money where my mouth is and investing in the next 24 months hopefully.

Real Estate, bubbles notwithstanding, is the best possible investment there is.

They're not making any more land.

It's an asset that has real world utility in addition to its investment possibilities.

R

Riva

I would imagine this is Haight's favourite subject.

Infact he sounds thrilled for once.

I have my financial goals for the 18th of July 2013. Not for the year.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I should be promoted in the next month or so, meaning that my income will increase rather dramatically... and moreso after that when I actually open on my own a few months after that :)

I'm more interested in growth and power goals for the year actually... I plan to open, promote at least one person before the end of the year and have one of the top preforming offices on one of the newer campaigns... ideally setting myself up for piloting one soon, because what could be more thrilling than building something from the ground up! :holy: If I do well with that, I could be setting myself up for getting to be one of the pilot offices who gets to try things out before everyone else on a regular basis... it's not like I've not helped open 2 offices and helped pilot a campaign already... it's an adventure, and it offers a lot of opportunity for every one of my people to grow like they want to :yes:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
^ Very exciting!

And congrats on the success so far!

Hopefully you will continue to move forward and gain increasing control over your career, and get to try your hand at entrepreneurship.

A

A window to the soul

I can't share my financial secrets on a public forum. Not to mention I would one-up everyone here. It's embarrassing.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to get a Mercedes or a Jaguar to tailgate me so that I can slam on the brakes. And then I can reap my reward.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
What happened to the lobbyists? You turned away from the evil empire?

Dodd Frank passed and they let go like 30 of us.

I worked at a think tank after that, but as the assistant to the head fund raiser.

I didn't get to use my noodle as much, and basically was the office bitch.

Besides I can make more in real estate than politics.

I'm glad I got to work on the hill, and get that experience, but I like being my own boss and I missed my car.