• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which academic fields tend to have the most interesting people?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't know what I'd do other than academia. Also, I actually want to be a professor, so I'm infuriated by the idea of something getting in the way of research the way I've heard many complain.

As for that blog, it has valid points, but it needs to be filtered for its bias and the fact that there's some obvious preaching to the choir going on there.

Eh, I remember during my orientation week they showed us some pie charts of expected time expenditures as a tenured professor (which is the best position you can hope to get, and that's hoping against hope that you will), and the vast majority of time spent was on administrative work and teaching responsibilities. And that was as a research professor...it would be even more lopsided as a primarily teaching professor or adjunct at small colleges, which is most likely where you're going to end up.

From experience I can honestly say that I find pretty much everything on that blog to be true. Especially the stuff about academia having a culture of fear and useless jargon. I literally cringe every time I hear or see words like "historiography" or "problematicity." FFS.

I mean, you're free to take what I (and everyone else on that blog) say as simple bitterness, but that seems to be what every wide-eyed prospective student does in the face of overwhelming negative tales of grad school. I guess it's one of those things people have to find out for themselves. So in that case, I highly recommend Usehername's advice about NOT NOT NOT attending a program unless you have full funding.

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
They're called historians.

If I was getting a degree in History, I would call myself an historian. I swear I'm not saying I'm a medievalist to be ornery... just to be correct :)

F

FigerPuppet

If I was getting a degree in History, I would call myself an historian. I swear I'm not saying I'm a medievalist to be ornery... just to be correct :)

You're a historian just like a guy with a degree in applied economics is an economist.

Not all medievalists are historians, some are literature folks. Historians don't like those people though.

I think it has something to do with the fact that a lot of historians dispensed with post-modern theory a while back whereas it still seems to be the raison d'être of most lit. departments.

The linguistic turn has done a lot of cool things for writing history though so I'm not going to hate on it.

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it has something to do with the fact that a lot of historians dispensed with post-modern theory a while back whereas it still seems to be the raison d'être of most lit. departments.

The linguistic turn has done a lot of cool things for writing history though so I'm not going to hate on it.

If it makes you feel better, I have to write a historiography paper and don't know what to do D: I feel like my professor is NOT going to appreciate my attempt either :shrug:

If it makes you feel better, I have to write a historiography paper and don't know what to do D: I feel like my professor is NOT going to appreciate my attempt either :shrug:

Easy. Reconstruct your own version of whatever event or phenomenon you're discussing based on stuff you read, mention the most important books on the topic and say whether you agreed or disagreed with what the scholars said and why.

If you can pick your own topic, find an issue that's a major bone of contention among different scholars and analyze their different approaches to it with respect to structure, use of sources, theory, etc. These things are often more interesting to read when there's some sort of conflict to discuss. You also want to be able to state your own opinion one way or the other. Historians love thesis statements.

/derail

xisnotx

Permabanned
Anyway, when you have an idea of the kind of lifestyle you want, you find a work-trajectory, pursuit-of-expertise vision that fits within that lifestyle.

So I'd ask: what kind of lifestyle do I want?

Hmm

So in that case, I highly recommend Usehername's advice about NOT NOT NOT attending a program unless you have full funding.

Money considerations only factor in so much. And, in my opinion, dictate nothing.

ygolo

My termites win
The guy who runs this website (http://ithinkwell.com.au/) and gave a talk called "7 Secrets of Successful PhD Students" at my school yesterday.

I could only stay for the first two "secrets", but they seemed like common sense things.

1) Manage the relationship with your adviser/supervisor. This includes holding regular meetings with them, and understanding their strengths and weaknesses (incidentally the concept of "managing up" is pretty common in the workplace too).
2) "It's write and show, not hide and seek." The basics were about being regular about you writing, not being a perfectionist to start, not being afraid of feedback, avoiding excuses to procrastinate on writing, etc.

Edit: Here is all 7: http://ithinkwell.com.au/content/nz_sevensecrets.pdf

1) The care an maintenance of your supervisor.
2) Write and show as you go.
3) Be realistic, it's not a Nobel Prize.
4) Say no to distractions.
5) It's a job.
6) Get help.
7) You can do it. A PhD is 10% intelligence and 90% persistence.