• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Careers that cater to Ti-Fe?

xisnotx

Permabanned
A lot of the problems I have with a lot of careers can be explained by my apparent want of a career that caters to both Ti and Fe. First and foremost, most careers cater towards the Fi-Te axis aka the evil axis of doom. "Master a system, and make it make you feel good". (My very shortsighted way of explaining Fi-Te). The problem with Ti (career wise, that is), is that it doesn't want to master a system. It want's to analyze a system, and understand it. It has no desire to actively engage in the system itself. (That's for the rest of the world worry about..)

Secondly, most careers that are suggested for intps focus on Ti and Ne. While that is not a bad thing, I one day would like to feel (I hear it feels great to feel..), and since my profession is a big part of my future, I'd desire a little Fe in my career. Strike that, it's almost paramount. Second only to Ti, really. Ne can suck it. And Si? What's that about hmm?

So what careers cater to both Ti and Fe?

Law is the only one I can readily think of. That and social scientists doing academic research. So, assuming academia and law aren't options (for whatever reasons ie I'm not about to bust my hump pursuing them), what other careers (perhaps niche) cater effectively to Fe and Ti?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what careers cater to both Ti and Fe?

Law is the only one I can readily think of. That and social scientists doing academic research. So, assuming academia and law aren't options (for whatever reasons ie I'm not about to bust my hump pursuing them), what other careers (perhaps niche) cater effectively to Fe and Ti?

Anything that is systematic and people-involved. You could be designing systems for interacting with people... which is a LOT of different types of system. (For example, User Interfaces in computer programming -- someone is responsible for determining screen designing and user interaction with software, based on sound understanding of people. I also deal with this in my work as a requirements analysts -- I am the bridge between the user groups who the system is being designed for and the developers who will be writing the code, and so it's my job to collect all that data from the users and be able to engage them, and then write Ti-style rulesets that are organized rationally, that are then used as conceptual blueprints for what the software needs to be able to do.) So.... systems analysis.

You could design processes for the flow of people through a health-care system, for example -- Fe is important because you have to engage people to collect data, as well as understand how people work and what their expectations are. Or designing/marketing products and plans to people.

You could be a political activist / consultant -- again, Ti focus on concepts and strategy, but needing to really understand how people work, as well as how to engage them in a way to get what you need and want.

Some types of religious/spiritual instructors are also very Ti/Fe ... you have to understand the rational principles of the perspective of the world in order to teach them, and the Fe comes into play partly for communication purposes and partly because ethics involve people, so the ethical ideas being promoted would be more Fe-style.

See where I'm going with this? I think there are many more careers where you have to be able to leverage Ti-style conceptual understanding with Fe people skills and/or understanding of generally how people and groups of people function.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I work for a asset management firm, and they have analysts that review a bunch of financial data. Some of the more heavier ones actually do trades in the portfolios. Most of them are definitely IxTPs.

I worked closely with one ISTP who is definitely into those numbers, slicing them and looking for trends and all that stuff. I agree with what you say up there- he's definitely more interested in understanding the system over conquering it.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Anything that is systematic and people-involved. You could be designing systems for interacting with people... which is a LOT of different types of system. (For example, User Interfaces in computer programming -- someone is responsible for determining screen designing and user interaction with software, based on sound understanding of people. I also deal with this in my work as a requirements analysts -- I am the bridge between the user groups who the system is being designed for and the developers who will be writing the code, and so it's my job to collect all that data from the users and be able to engage them, and then write Ti-style rulesets that are organized rationally, that are then used as conceptual blueprints for what the software needs to be able to do.) So.... systems analysis.

You could design processes for the flow of people through a health-care system, for example -- Fe is important because you have to engage people to collect data, as well as understand how people work and what their expectations are. Or designing/marketing products and plans to people.

You could be a political activist / consultant -- again, Ti focus on concepts and strategy, but needing to really understand how people work, as well as how to engage them in a way to get what you need and want.

Some types of religious/spiritual instructors are also very Ti/Fe ... you have to understand the rational principles of the perspective of the world in order to teach them, and the Fe comes into play partly for communication purposes and partly because ethics involve people, so the ethical ideas being promoted would be more Fe-style.

See where I'm going with this? I think there are many more careers where you have to be able to leverage Ti-style conceptual understanding with Fe people skills and/or understanding of generally how people and groups of people function.

Yeah...initially I was thinking maybe someone Fe/Ti would be more suited, but I get you.

I find that some Ti doms are happy with the understanding piece, not necessarily wanting to do much with it past that. They are the ones who will provide you with the analysis and some insight, but then someone actually takes action with the data. Maybe it's different with ExTPs.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps something like a professor in theoretical physics. The field itself is Ti oriented and the teaching part of it is more Fe oriented. Helping your students, engaging with them.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
A coach. A really bossy coach who obviously loves his pupils. In a tough love way. :p

You know what Ti-Fe also reminds me of? Being a retail manager (which screams traditionally more ENFJ, there was an active ENFJ who was a district manager). Lots of people thumb their noses at retail but if you can get into management, even at the store manager level, you can make a good salary and if your Ti and Fe are sharp you can pick the best stores to work in. My friend and former coworker has a BA but worked retail to pay bills in school and eventually became a manager at a designer women's store and now a luxury boutique. His starting salary was $60,000 about 10 years ago when that meant even more. If you like the work it's a great job. And people who excel get into the corporate ranks as district managers and beyond for more $$$ and more systems to study.

I also have an INTP friend who is an emergency room nurse. She was the only INTP in a sea of ESFJs in her class (they had to take the MBT on their first day of class) She is definitely not as um traditionally or outwardly warm or friendly as her ESFJ counterparts (she todl me she gave one guy who came in hacking and coughing the stink eye because he wouldn't cover his mouth hahahaha) but I think doing the work fulfills her own Fe motivation.