• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joining a Think Tank

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How much does an average think-tank pay?

Who knows? Call and ask.

I think some are voluntary.

And yes, obviously others may have to drag you in by the hair.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
[MENTION=4109][MENTION=1009]CzeCze[/MENTION] I think being a consultant for anyone would be great. I wouldn't really want to be tied down tough. I wish I could be like Jane and be a consultant for crime scenes!

So you like 'figuring things out' (before anyone else) and finding verifiable answers?

Ahhh, that opens open a whole new field of potential career paths.

Lots of folks once they reach a certain level in their career and especially after they've built up a solid contact base can become consultants and work for themselves. Or you could be a 'public intellectual' like Peguy said, basically a pundit, talking head, commentator, etc. You could be like nutty Ann Coulter or charming Kate Clinton :D There are many fields you can go into, many different professions, start out in public or private sector, many ways to do it.

If you are interested primarily in policy work you should definitely nab an internship in DC and just watch the show. You'll get a much better idea of what job really means what and how they interact with each other and exactly what it is that you want to do.

Here's the thing though you said you want to work in a 'creative' environment? You'll have to define creative better. You mean like Google creative? Or IMF "Wow this plan to restructure debt in Botswana sure is unconventional!"

MBTI Type
Mann
I decided to not limit this to the ask an absolutely nutso madman ENTP thread.

Does anyone know much about think tanks? I've done some research, but it seems the information about what they do eludes me. From what I know them, this sounds like an ideal position for me- using my knowledge in practical ways to solve big and small problems, while working with people in a creative environment. What's not to love?

I have a feeling this thread may die very, very easily, but any information is better than no information.

Hrrrrmmm. Come to chat sometime and we can discuss this more in depth. Monday and Tuesday I am off work all day :D