• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

College tips

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll be escaping community college soon. A good way to save money, but it isn't terribly thought provoking. Some general questions I have:

1. What are things I should probably take with me when I am forced into a dorm? What shouldn't I take?
2. Are there any colleges that don't force you to do a bunch of bullshit pointless work, or is that a requirement for it to be a college?
3. Does it *really* matter where I go to college? Is there a point in me working to get into a school with a bunch of rich entitled kids who work way too hard?
4. Major in engineering? Chemistry? Theoretical physics? What degrees are worth it?
5. What happens if I decide I want to be a doctor?
6. Should I do a second year of comm college, or if I can get into, say, Boston University, should I go there? Should I not even bother with an up there public college? How am I supposed to pick a college I will be happy with?

Other miscellaneous details appreciated.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
1. My freshman roommate and I brought: A minifridge, a TV, a futon couch, a microwave, and a coffee-maker. We coordinated to split up that bigger stuff (I had a fridge and a TV to bring, she had a futon, etc). Other than that it's just your obvious needs like clothes and such.

2. All colleges are going to have general education requirements (Like you have to take an art, a history, a language, writing classes, etc) The smart thing to do with these classes is split them up among semesters. Somehow when I was doing my Bachelors, I stupidly did too many GenEd classes in the first 3 semesters. By the time I reached my senior year, I had no extra classes left and had to take 16 credits of 300/400 level Biology classes. Gen Eds are usually easy enough that it's nice to be able to take 1-2 per semester to break up the amount of 'hard' work.

3. Honestly? Not really. What college you go to may influence what kind of job you are able to get straight out of college... but after that the only thing people care about is job experience. As long as you have the degree, it doesn't matter where it's from. If you go to an Ivy league school, you can probably get a killer job straight out of college. If you go to a shitty school, you may have to spend a few years in a job you're not crazy about just for the job experience, but then you can apply elsewhere.

4. This is something you have to answer for yourself. All of those degrees you listed are solid choices. You need to ask yourself what you enjoy, what you're good at, etc.

5. If you want to go to med school later in life, you're probably better off with a Bio or Chem degree than engineering or something. Really, the goal of most pre-med programs is to prepare students for the MCAT standardized test... So if you decide you want to go to med school, you're just going to want to do everything in your power to be ready for the MCAT.

6. This is kind of another thing you have to answer for yourself. Visit the colleges, see how you like it. Weigh the financial differences. Look into their transfer credit requirements and make sure you're not going to lose a shitload of credits by transferring.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you [MENTION=10780]Patches[/MENTION]. I didn't really think about splitting up my classes like that. Now I just have to figure out how to divide my classes up. So maybe I should take science classes which both appeal to me and could be used for the MCAT?

Do credits normally transfer easily? What are the sort of credits that don't transfer easily?

Is it good to live in a dorm? A lot of people I know hate it. What is to hate? What is to love?

Definitely got to get a coffee maker.

My personal list consists of:

1. Coffee maker
2. Game systems/small tv so I can be greedy (I am a huge video game nerd).
3. Laptop/printer

I also don't know where I want to go to college still- as far as what area. Boston really appeals to me, but I am considering the west coast. I like the outdoors there.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bought an electric tea kettle for collage. one of the best investments of my life

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Coffee maker
3. Laptop/printer
4. Electric tea kettle

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] that was going to be on my list. I love a good cup of tea.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Coffee maker
3. Laptop/printer
4. Electric tea kettle
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] that was going to be on my list. I love a good cup of tea.

don't forget a teapot and some loose leaf tea :laugh:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
don't forget a teapot and some loose leaf tea :laugh:

Loose leaf tea is so costly where I am. And I do need a tea pot! I might get a cast iron one. So my tea will stay hot!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Loose leaf tea is so costly where I am. And I do need a tea pot! I might get a cast iron one. So my tea will stay hot!

trust me, it's well worth it. :yes:

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Aren't you only 17 or something? How the hell are you already escaping community college?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll be escaping community college soon. A good way to save money, but it isn't terribly thought provoking. Some general questions I have:

1. What are things I should probably take with me when I am forced into a dorm? What shouldn't I take?
Usually the college website has a good list of what they have in each dorm, and it's good to check that first -- or, if possible, to tour the dorms before moving in. I wasn't able to see my dorm before moving in last year, and I ended up not needing the desk lamp I brought because my desk had a lamp built in. (That's not a common example, but you see what I mean.)

I agree about a coffee maker and a hot pot -- although if you have a hot pot/electric kettle, you could probably try pour-over coffee, and it might cost less? And I doubt that you really need a printer, unless you plan on printing a whole lot of stuff when in college -- otherwise it's a whole lot cheaper to print at the campus library or at a Kinko's. Not sure about other universities, but my campus library is open at all hours of the day/night so I can print things then too -- meaning, it's convenient, as well as cheap.

I would also add, re: shopping lists:
- A mini-fridge
- A microwave
- Some mugs, bowls, plates and silverware
- Maybe an extra comfy chair, if there's room in the dorm
- Whatever else you'll need to trick yourself into feeling at home and self-sufficient when you're really not. :laugh:
2. Are there any colleges that don't force you to do a bunch of bullshit pointless work, or is that a requirement for it to be a college?
:dry: That's practically too subjective a question to even try and answer. It really depends on the major, and even more than that, depends on what you consider to be "pointless".

However, I'll say right off the bat that the work is going to be more interesting than whatever you were doing at a community college -- and some of that interest will come from having classmates who really care about what they're doing.
3. Does it *really* matter where I go to college? Is there a point in me working to get into a school with a bunch of rich entitled kids who work way too hard?
It really does matter. Not necessarily for job prospects, but for what you end up getting out of your experience. I actually do go to a school where my classmates are rich and entitled kids who work way too hard -- and I transferred there from a state school. Here's why:
1) I wanted to be surrounded by students who were motivated, hardworking, conscientious, and really cared about what they were doing. At the state school I went to, even though the kids there weren't rich, they felt pretty entitled, because a lot of them seemed to be wasting an education; they didn't care about being there, they were just coasting through, and the classes were so low-maintenance that what you learned in class wasn't even the most prominent part of your time at the school.
2) The professors may have been decent, but the professors where I go now are waaaaaay better, and a lot of that comes from the fact that they do NOT play down to the lowest common denominator. Classes are never easy here; at the state school, I'd take 18-20 credits every semester and have a whole lot of free time, and here I'm working my ass off with 15-16 credits.

There are more reasons, but I forgot them at the moment...
4. Major in engineering? Chemistry? Theoretical physics? What degrees are worth it?
They can all be worth it, depending on your work experience, volunteer experience, and graduate school -- and depending on your career plans. Very few college degrees are not "worth it".
You take the required classes -- or you play catch-up in your first year of med school. No big deal.
6. Should I do a second year of comm college, or if I can get into, say, Boston University, should I go there? Should I not even bother with an up there public college? How am I supposed to pick a college I will be happy with?
Go somewhere where you'll meet people who will help you grow as a person, become more smart, and think differently. Regarding the quote that I bolded way earlier: that's what college is supposed to be about. If it isn't thought-provoking, then it's being done wrong. So I without a doubt would say BU, over community college.
Do credits normally transfer easily? What are the sort of credits that don't transfer easily?
Really, really depends on the school, and the program. I'd ask the registrar.
Is it good to live in a dorm? A lot of people I know hate it. What is to hate? What is to love?
Love:
- Convenience (it's close to everything!)
Hate:
- Rooming with someone you don't know (not something that bothers me, but it's the main reason why people hate dorm rooms)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am also in the process of transferring from community college but I think I can answer some of these :)

Very basic living stuffs, plus a computer, phone (and stuff for coffee/tea of course ;) )

What not to bring: bigger sort of items that the dorm already has, or that a roommate is bringing and is easily borrowable (things like tv, microwaves, refrigerators...). Also if you've ever been inside a dorm room you'll know not to bring a lot of stuff in general for obvious reasons...

Not sure. If you've already done some of the comm. college thing you might have already got some of the "pointless" work done. Best bet is to find an area of study where you can find a point to most of what you do, and the occasional things that seem pointless won't seem so bad.

I don't think it does... potential exception is if you are already strongly set on a certain field and the school has a really good program in that field. Other than that, I don't see much of a point. The "smaller schools" seem to offer a better sense of flexibility and acknowledging your existence if you happen to need help with anything.

Not sure, I might get back to these...

The second year can help a lot with transfer sometimes and with getting things out of the way when they are still relatively cheap.

Look around online at all sorts of colleges... including those that are lesser known and even those around the country. Once you've narrowed it down to a few there's usually tons of information online that can give you a sense of whether the school will work for you.

I can't say for sure with the out of state credit transfer systems. I know in California there is a very clear and easy system set up for community college students to transfer to universities within the state. I don't know how this goes across the country though .... I would ask a school counselor.

Can't say for sure yet on the specifics but it does seem like more of a pain to live off a university campus... figuring out the whole living away thing and commuting can be a nightmare with some places.

I also don't know where I want to go to college still- as far as what area. Boston really appeals to me, but I am considering the west coast. I like the outdoors there.

West Coast :thumbup: Yes, we do have good outdoors.... I suggest continued consideration at least and I can tell you about some of the schools here /bias

G

Glycerine

Thank you [MENTION=10780]Patches[/MENTION]. I didn't really think about splitting up my classes like that. Now I just have to figure out how to divide my classes up. So maybe I should take science classes which both appeal to me and could be used for the MCAT?

Definitely got to get a coffee maker.

My personal list consists of:

1. Coffee maker
3. Laptop/printer

Classes that are universal tend to transfer the easiest like Brit lit. Classes that are obscure or specialized do not tend to transfer well like a class on Washington State Authors unless the community college has a special agreement with the university. The more competitive the uni is, the pickier they will be about the transferability.

Dorms, it really depends on the roommates.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aren't you only 17 or something? How the hell are you already escaping community college?

I'm smart. Graduated a year early.

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]: thank you as well! What is a Kinko's? And if you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school? When you put it that way- that kids at state schools seem entitled as well- I understand where you are coming from. It was that way at my high school. And I realize- I doubt I like that anymore than the rich kind of entitled. Or whatever.

1. Coffee maker
3. Laptop/printer (maybe not printer
4. Electric tea kettle
5. A mini-fridge, microwave, eatingware
6. Comfy chair

We are the same person. Seriously. I was considering getting a really awesome chair to chill in.

[MENTION=5857]LunaLuminosity[/MENTION]: tell me more about the schools. There is a theoretical physics teacher named Alex Fillippenko who would be cool to take classes under at Berkley. I am interested in Seattle, Oregon and...well, of course California. I don't know anything really about the west coast though. Feel free to inform me :)

So now I must decide- should I save some of the gen ed classes for when I get into a bigger college, or should I continue taking gen ed classes knowing they are more likely to transfer?

1. Coffee maker
4. Electric tea kettle
6. Comfy chair
7. Rice cooker w/ steamer

[MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION] great idea. I love rice and think I really could live off of it.

I really want to not have that college diet of junk and junk. I want good stuff, damn it!

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ah, I see. Anyway, it's great to have you back posting regularly, or at least it seems that you are.

Flux

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. I would definitely take a fan with you - the heat in dorms can sometimes be quite funky so it will keep you cool when you want to sleep. Also, there is no great way to dry your towels in a cramped dorm room so I always drape mine over my desk chair and then use the fan to dry it. When living in close quarters with people courtesy is always great and you don't want to be known as the guy with the smelly room. Other than that I would probably bring multiple pairs of earphones (the ear buds always get lost), maybe a portable external hard drive to back up all you files on, and clothes for all weather. Idk where you are from but my Indian friend (just off the boat) had to buy winter clothes last year b/c he didn't have any.

2. I think pretty all colleges require some general education requirements. And then there are all the prerequisite courses you have to take to be able to take the higher level courses.

3. Mostly I think college is for the title, so the better the school the better the title.

4. Hmm engineering is great if you want your whole plan of study to be set in stone for you. Idk, my ISTJ friend likes it because he always gets into the classes he needs because all the engineering students are required to take certain classes at certain times.

6. All of these decisions are really up to you but there are better colleges than BU. My dad used to teach a couple of courses there and he said the education isn't too great for how ridiculously expensive it is. I'd visit a handful of schools to see how you like it. The best advice will be to really force yourself to interact with a lot of people once you actually get there. I mean most people are friendly and everyone is looking to make friends so its pretty easy to meet people.

Anyway, good luck! I guess the most important thing would be to do what you like and try to find a place that seems right for you.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
EJCC: thank you as well! What is a Kinko's?
What is a Kinko's????????? Wow, I feel old :laugh: It's FedEx Office now, but it used to be called Kinko's Copies.
And if you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school?
I'd rather not say -- but it's at about the same prestige level as BU. Well, maybe more along the lines of Notre Dame or Duke. Same kind of old-money situation, and going to the school for the name (while at the same time having probably been rejected by an Ivy somewhere in the application process).
When you put it that way- that kids at state schools seem entitled as well- I understand where you are coming from. It was that way at my high school. And I realize- I doubt I like that anymore than the rich kind of entitled. Or whatever.
A lot of people hate the rich-kid entitlement at my school. But then again, most of them haven't experienced state colleges, community colleges, or high schools that weren't either boarding schools, catholic private schools, or both.
1. Coffee maker
4. Electric tea kettle
6. Comfy chair

We are the same person. Seriously. I was considering getting a really awesome chair to chill in.
:cheers:

I am considering getting a comfy chair for next year. I'm in an apartment now, but it's back to the dorms with me next fall, most likely -- and I'll want something to make it seem like I'm in a tiny apartment. I'm considering a bean bag chair, or one of those giant pillows that doubles as a chair. Whatever those are called!

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet:

Shower sandals. Absolutely a necessity, depending on your living arrangements. A minifridge is probably the best investment with a microwave falling behind, assuming you own a computer.

ygolo

My termites win

It has been too long since I lived in dorms to give specifics, but the general principles are to take as little as possible while being comfortable, and coordinating with you roommates/suitemates/flatemates.

You will never be free of "bullshit pointless work" but you can try your best to chose courses that don't seem like bullshit. There is often a lot of choice in what you can take. Find out as much about a courses and professors as possible, and choose the one that suite your style and interest. I was quite happy with the general education courses I took. English literature was a course that was outside my norm, but I found out one of the professors was teaching the course with a theme for all the literature in the course, and the theme was the holocaust and its survivors. I thoroughly enjoyed that class.

The school you go to matters for somethings. You have more interesting options for courses at schools that are on the cutting edge of research in your field of interest. Some skills have good brands and networks and can aid you greatly in landing your first job. If you are interested in science, I would say going to a research university is a huge plus. If you graduate undegrad with research, and perhaps even a publication, you are in much better shape to get fellowships for grad school.

As far as "entitled kids who work way too hard", I think you are mixing up concepts. A sense of entitlement is believing you deserve something without earning it. Working hard is one way of earning things. While free time, play, socialization, and so on are important, you cannot be afraid of hard work.

As far as job markets go, there are many fields that are expected to grow. You can do your own research on BLS.gov. All I know is, everyone I knew who did something software related got a job even in 2000 right after the dot com bust. Predicted growth areas now are in biotech and health related professions.

You then try to get into a pre-med (or a close to it as possible) program at your school. My sister didn't decide for a while, and did fine (she is in her third year of residency now). The idea is to maximize your scores on the relevant tests while
keeping your grades as high as possible.

This is a difficult choice. Second year of community college is cheaper. But if you get a good enough scholarship to Boston University or wherever you decide, the point is moot.

Picking a college is all about "fit". I would never accept a college admission without visiting there (preferably during typical school days). Visit the school, talk to students and faculty, drop in on some classes, and get a feel for how your life would be like when actually there. Sometimes a less prestigious school is a better choice if the "fit" seems better. I decided against going to a particular school because the faculty seemed accessible. I decided against going to other schools because I didn't like their vision of where the field was going.