• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jobs in the US for 3 months...15$/hr... are ???

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dont know where to start - some of it is confusing I must admit, I mean, this is natural that different people have somehow different perspective of South USA

Yes. Southerners love it, no one else seems to like it. Southerners don't seem to like Californians or Northerners either.
California - the land of the fruits, nuts, and flakes
Southerners - ignorance, rednecks, and hillbillies
There's some truth to it all. Doesn't mean you won't find some of both in either place.... it's more about the overall sweeping beliefs and attitudes. These are the negatives, there are more positive ways of looking at it, of course.

ICUP, i never planned to go alone - I am going with CCUSA programme (it's a program for non-US college students to go working up to 4 months in the US + 1 month of travelling), so I will unite with couple of other people and go to the same place..

Oh ok, my bad.... I missed that part.
I would personally stick to the big cities if I could find work there.....
SF, NYC, LA, possibly Vegas for great entertainment. Could probably find service jobs in Vegas that pay decently. Hotel jobs are plentiful in resort areas, but they don't pay much. I would spend my time wisely and only spend it in places that will offer me the best experiences.

Last edited:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, stupid question:

Are issues finding jobs that pay $10-15/hr a general problem or only when seeking employment with little education? If it's a general problem, then damnnnnnnn.

sculpting

working in a restaurant, although if your english is not so good, it may be tough to find a position right away. You noted graphic design, but to be honest those positions are quite competitive to get, I think.

I would seek something secure and reliable at a lower pay scale if you can. Perhaps if you come over with an academic goal, you can get a fellowship or stipend of some sort (uncertain of your history, my apologies)

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to make $15/hr assembling electronics. Not much skill needed other than the ability to solder. People saying you need considerable skill or education for that wage are just plain wrong. Maybe you won't make it in the fast food business, but that's why you just need to look a bit.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, stupid question:

Are issues finding jobs that pay $10-15/hr a general problem or only when seeking employment with little education? If it's a general problem, then damnnnnnnn.
It's not that hard. It's hard to find a job anywhere right now, but wages don't have much to do with it.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not that hard. It's hard to find a job anywhere right now, but wages don't have much to do with it.

There are help-wanted signs up around here, in various retail spots. A job could be acquired today. May not be a high-paying job, but it will get you off the streets.
There are also tons of listings and openings for well-skilled people. Problem is, it's hard to find prospects who fit the bill.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
personal care attendant for rich old people pays pretty well. (not in facilities, but some one on one's will give you a lot more)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, the South is not known (comparatively) as a wild, party place, unless you're talking about sports. It has more of a family atmosphere. The Northeast and the West Coast cities are more where the action is, more vibrant nightlife, more cosmopolitan, etc. But with action comes the risks of city living. Anyway, I'm biased. :whistling:

I know you just want a short stay here, but it sounds tough to make it work out financially. Don't know where you're going to stay if you don't stay with relatives....An apartment (flat)?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The San Francisco Bay Area is the nicest place I know of in the US. Marin is beautiful. The city itself is really nice. No end of things to do.

No idea about jobs though.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The San Francisco Bay Area is the nicest place I know of in the US. Marin is beautiful. The city itself is really nice. No end of things to do.

Also expensive.

Chloe

Also expensive.

:happy2: you will all make me wanna stay in Croatia. lol. dont know what to think anymore. :dry:

anyway;
i wouldnt wanna go if i cant come back to Croatia with at least $2000 in 3 months, and also include $1500 of travel cost and paying for the ccusa program (insurances etc.)... so ... i'd like to save $3500 in 3 months, AND enjoy my time there, travel a little ( i am not planning a tour over the USA, but i'd like to visit few major cities etc. )

-is this possible ?

most people from here that did this spent 3 months working + 1 months travelling, and came home with 0,00 but spent much money on travelling. since i have only 3months (need to go back to school), i dont plan to travel for the whole month.
anyway, if i cant save 2000 USD at least, i am not sure i wanna go since i can save that much in croatia if i work over summer.

the $15/hr was just some goal in my head, because i've heard most of them who go as students work for 10-12$/hr so i was thinking,... if i could... make that 15... somehow... (my ambitions gonna kill me.)

Chloe

[
I know you just want a short stay here, but it sounds tough to make it work out financially. Don't know where you're going to stay if you don't stay with relatives....An apartment (flat)?

i guess? a flat... where else? :huh:

turtile

MBTI Type
ISTP
Go to a northern beach town if you're traveling in the summer. These towns need a huge labor force in the summer to deal with tourism. Most jobs pay $8-12 an hour but if you get a job with tips, you can make a lot. Also be aware that you can pick up a second job if needed.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
You said you've tutored before, so here's an idea. Just go to one of the college campuses and post flyers for tutoring. If you know the material, that is. You can easily make over $20/hr tutoring one-on-one (check the prices of your competitors), especially if the course is both difficult and required for a lot of people (like calculus, organic chemistry, general physics, etc.). However I doubt you would get more than ten hours per week, so perhaps it should supplement a more steady source of income.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am planning to go to work in US next summer for 3 months in CCUSA programme, that many people from Europe (and other countries ) go... I plan to go in individual option, so going and finding job, instead of getting job as camp counselour because i hear those are payed terribly and you get to live in a camp which i dont like i think

so, my question is - how hard it is to find a job in the US as someone who doesnt have many skills that are not academic... i mean, i hear people mostly get around 10$/hr for student jobs like busser at the restaurants and like.

So... what skills, that can be mastered in 6-9 months, could get me a job for 3 months and be payed 15$/hr, if any ?

Because I was thinking if i can learn something here - like take graphic design, photography, dont know, course which is certified, - and with it get better hourly rate.. i'd do it...

so..what kind of jobs pay 15$/hr or more, but for only period of 3 months? :unsure:

a sales job, at Verizon. my friend works there and gets about $2000 a month after taxes.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how much are taxes ? non-US citizens get a refund anyway....

these numbers are after taxes, before taxes I think it's much higher (commission checks are taxed insanely)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay, stupid question:

a general problem. it's insanely difficult unless you are already well-entrenched in a career. even then, i hear stories every day about professionals who have been laid off and had to take up much lower-paying jobs that do not even make use of their skills or education. many of my friends with recent degrees do not have jobs right now. personally i have a BA and have been working since i was 17 and am currently working a shit job for less than this. we are all overqualified and underpaid, if we are lucky enough to be employed at all. it's a horrible, horrible job situation in the united states right now. so bad that i'm considering leaving.

[MENTION=14598]Chloe[/MENTION] -

:rofl1:

i'm sorry. when i saw your title... jesus. i'd like a goddamn $15/hr job and i'm not temporary.

how quickly could you get a phlebotomy license? i think that would be ideal...

oh, and NC is fine. i've lived there. raleigh and charlotte are totally fine. it's the rural areas that are freaky stereotypical, not the urban ones. sure you'll run into the occasional highly entertaining redneck, but they're not a problem.

Chloe

skylights, i dont know have you read the thread but couple of people mentioned waitressing and bartending as $15/hr..:blush: :shrug:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Have you thought about teaching your native language? I'm sure there aren't a ton of people doing that, and the biggest need would be in cities. That said, I think a $15/hr job and saving $3500 in three months is kind of unrealistic. Like others, I think your best chance for that is waitressing or bartending in an expensive place where tips would be good.