• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

35k (never more) job you love OR 45k start (but 150k 10-20 years) job u hate?

Which job? (see post)

• Total voters

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
What does "sacrifice A LOT" mean, exactly? A kidney? Left testicle? My boyish good looks?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
if it's hypothetical and hypothetically i don't have to worry about bills because those to are hypothetical and they can hypothetically be whatever I choose I pick a. if it wasn't hypothetical I'd pick b or try to find a middle ground

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What does "sacrifice A LOT" mean, exactly? A kidney? Left testicle? My boyish good looks?

I get that you're sort of joking... But I did update the thread post with what should make the "sacrifice" aspect more clear. Also, remember that as a Fe, dumb societal image shit does "matter" even if one doesn't give a shit about having an American car instead of a European luxury. Haha

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if it's hypothetical and hypothetically i don't have to worry about bills because those to are hypothetical and they can hypothetically be whatever I choose I pick a. if it wasn't hypothetical I'd pick b or try to find a middle ground

Say that you could afford:
Rent
Phone
Tv
Internet
Moderate food
Cheap car
Cheap gas
Cheap insurance (high deductible probably)

But not much more....Like seriously not much more!

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rent
Phone
Tv
Internet
Moderate food
Cheap car
Cheap gas

I lived like this for years. It was miserable. Yes, I like money, I'll admit to that. I don't think money is more important than love, but I'll admit that it certainly helps. With money, I can then afford to pursue my dreams, and do it my way. There's nothing better than that. So, I see money as a means to an end more than I do an end.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
12 hour days at a job I hate for no less than a couple decades, after (presumably) having gotten a masters?

I have too much dignity (whaaaaaaaat) to torture myself that much. Besides, I've seen what that does to people.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Assuming vehement, life-sucking hate, like being paid to murder kittens or something, I'd pick option A I guess.

Obviously it depends on how exactly you define the question parameters. Both options are dumb though. I'd do something in between like a normal person, and/or work job B until I had enough savings to buy a house/feel comfortable, then switch to A, and/or move somewhere with a less ridiculous cost of living ($1 million house is too expensive for my liking on a 100k salary anyway).

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hmm...if only assassin for hire was a legal, viable employment option.

Yeah...I'm totally going to be fine working with people who need help.

Frank

If it's an A or B only scenario I would have to go with A while aggressively pursuing a profitable hobby.

KDude

I don't need any more than Job A. If that's the option that would sacrifice "a lot", then I'd be sacrificing with a smile on my face. So I don't get brand new sports cars, big houses, have the option to eat out every night, or impress random people I don't give a shit about. It helps that I don't have kids.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The poll is a false dichotomy. There are degrees of love and hate. There are many different career paths.

In real life, you trade off between the two, but not to the degree mentioned in the poll. I would never want to do something I "hate," but neither is doing something I "love" worth a salary cut of 50-150k or more. (More like 10-20k. :) )

W/r to how important money is, it's remarkably useful to get above the level at which one can easily pay off one's debts and save. I dare say that's probably a bit more than 35-40k, especially in a high cost of living place like NYC. Putting up with a bit of crap (not a lot of crap) to get to that point is very much worth it. After that, it's just druthers: maximizing money + happiness in a weird non-quantitative way.

I'd say, as long as one's job doesn't drain one's spirit, it's worth getting paid as much as one can bargain for. If it does drain one's spirit, it isn't worth even a gazillion dollars.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Ah wait, 35 is pre-tax and debt payments have to be included right? Because over here it works a bit differently....

So how much would be the net monthly salary? Something like 1,5 k $?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If 35k in internet money is the equivalent of $AU35k then I pick option B.

I work to live, I do not live to work.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
How about everyone who chooses the 35k option all move in together for good Old fashioned communal/urban homesteader living? I make a tasty vegan burrito.

No pets allowed though. And one has kids except after communal vote.

We will build a new future!!!

:Revolutionary Inspirational Poster Gif:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Rent
Phone
Tv
Internet
Moderate food
Cheap car
Cheap gas

that is how I live already. when I had more money i was still living like that ended up with a ton of money i didn't know what to do with. though I never had to pay insurance

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Hmmm...well it's been my experience that if you have to work LONG hours (7 to 7) at a job you hate, there's pretty much no "rest of your life" therefore no "rest of your life going 'great.'"

Besides, I have been lower middle class my whole life and I've done pretty well in the happiness department. There are worse things in life than not being incredibly well off.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Define sacrifice. I'm not a materialistic person myself. I can live my life with ver little financial income. And even though my income is decent, it's just saving up on my bank account, sitting there. I would totally take the job I love. But as I said, I wouldn't feel like I'd be sacrificing anything either. So define sacrifice. :p