• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Getting introverts to respond to work email

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Are you asking questions he person cares about? Sometimes I can't be bOthered to answer an inane question when I'm busy. Other times superfluous use of caps and pinctuation annoys me and I go into fuck you mode. Mostly I just forget.

Be short, to the point, and follow up.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
So everyone here thinks its a P-thing and not an introvert thing? Interesting. I thought it was the I-thing for the longest time. Will have to test this out.

If it is a P thing, then these dudes are already used to the nagging and follow up emails by the time they get to where they are, right? So if I send reminders, it shouldn't feel like nagging to them.
k, im gonna try it

I think it might be a bit of both I and P, in addition to a preference for verbal exchanges over written, especially if he is a slow reader or a slow typer.

You might be able to get an immediate answer out of him by just picking up the phone -> problem solved.

If you hate calling, then maybe that can help you understand the converse; some people hate emailing the same way you hate calling. In that case, the problem will remain until one of you is willing to get over it. Are you willing to wait for it to be him?

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Are you asking questions he person cares about? Sometimes I can't be bOthered to answer an inane question when I'm busy. Other times superfluous use of caps and pinctuation annoys me and I go into fuck you mode. Mostly I just forget.

:laugh: Tell us how you really feel!

Be short, to the point, and follow up.

Good advice.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
OK, I've been observing and yes, its definitely a P thing. I is event-dependent in the sense that they are getting nervous for presentations (while I'm getting pumped for the same thing)

I hate pulling guilt trips on people.

So here is my conclusion. Emails should be:
-professional. Friendly chatter should be in a separate thread or offline.
-less frequent. Set the precedent that email should be used ONLY when necessary. If you have multiple things to confer upon through the course of the day, bunch them as one in the morning and one after lunch.
-what else?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Agreed!

I would actually tend to think that it's the more ExxP types, or even extroverts generally, who don't respond because they're "too busy" or "forgot" or "didn't think it needed an answer". :dry:

That was solved by smartphones