• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Do what you love, and money will follow"

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The saying I've heard from every school guidance counselor, ever: "Do what you love, and money will follow."

Right now I'm trying to nail down a potential area of study, so I was wondering, does this work? Or does it only work if you have an affinity for engineering and biochemistry?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i love sitting on my ass all day. where are you money???

uncommonentity

For every 1 sensible spender there's 9 money wasters. Appeal to them and proceed to love your life regardless of your career path.

My uncle makes thousands a week selling ANTS.

Use your noggin.

KDude

Seriously. Just you wait. We'll be rich soon.

One of the happiest people I met was a guy who had been working in some corporate environment, had rich parents who set him up with a good education, good job, etc.. But he was unhappy in that sense. When I first met him, he was a scruffy dude who had come to visit a friend for Christmas - he had dropped all of his privileges and cozy position, and moved somewhere in South America. He was two steps away from being a beach bum and Cabana boy, and I *think*, had a job fishing or something. He was ready to end his trip and go back.. he had no interest in staying in the US or getting the old job back. Hell, if you look at the typical Argentine or Brazilian (and some Europeans), they seem to be the same way. Little ambition, but happy.

This doesn't answer your question though. I doubt money will follow them, but does it even matter? You're going to die in 60 years (if you're lucky). Think about what makes you happy first (whatever that may be).

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's mostly horseshit, and seems to be getting moreso the more education is expected by society, leaving less room for those who wish to set themselves apart in terms of level of education. As [MENTION=13860]mujigay[/MENTION] notes, certain fields are less popular and more in demand, so if those fall under your 'loves', you're in luck. On the other hand, try getting ahead in the rat race with a degree in psych, soc, or any number of the social sciences. Granted, a PhD makes that more conceivable...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That expression could be true for everyone but mostly it'll only be true for exceptionally perceptive, creative, enterprising, fearless and talented people.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yes, it's naive horseshit. The 'do what you love' part is good advice, but to say the money will necessarily follow is absurd. I'm sure it's worked for some people, and so people focus on these cases and delude themselves into thinking it'll work for everyone. Everyone loves a good 'dream come true' story. There have been plenty of others who have tried to make a living pursuing what they love, and it didn't work out.

It depends on what it is you love and how much money there is in it, how talented you are at it, how skilled and driven you are (not just in your field, but in meeting people and finding opportunities) and sheer chance plays a role too.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue what you love and make it a part of your life...just have a backup plan for making a living in case it doesn't work out for that purpose.

:laugh: Exactly.

MBTI Type
INTJ
The saying I've heard from every school guidance counselor, ever: "Do what you love, and money will follow."

Right now I'm trying to nail down a potential area of study, so I was wondering, does this work? Or does it only work if you have an affinity for engineering and biochemistry?

It's horseshit. This notion is prevalent because of all the people who do what they love, only the 1% who get rich doing it have the platform to tell people about it.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

Your guidance counselor is one of the types who gives advice based more on wishful thinking than actual reality. Just look at the millions of people who enjoy making music, writing, backpacking, playing ping pong, dancing, teaching, etc. and make zero to little money doing so. Following this advice -- that is, expecting it to work for you, is extraordinarily unwise unless your loves and skills align perfectly along the lines of things that actually result in making money. Have a love for office politics, convincing people to buy stuff they don't need, or cleaning up hazardous waste? You're lucky -- good for you, go for it. Are you absolutely a world-class talent at things you love, like writing, music, or sports? I'm jealous :)alttongue:). Go for it. But for most people, this isn't realistic.

I know that this sounds pessimistic -- I'm not trying to make it sound like that. But when you really get down to it, there's a reason why what the overwhelming majority of people do to make money is called "work". Some people are lucky enough to come to love their work. Most aren't. Very few go into a line of work solely *because* they love it, and actually make a living doing it. My advice? Assume that work's not going to be something you love. Do with it the best you can, but seek happiness elsewhere.

Work to live. Don't expect that you'll be happy living to work. In that, what your counselor(s) are saying has a bit of truth -- build your life around what you love. But don't expect that to be what makes you an income to support yourself. It might happen -- but it might not. Don't let that alone ruin your life.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
It's horseshit. This notion is prevalent because of all the people who do what they love, only the 1% who get rich doing it have the platform to tell people about it.

And, there's FMW - saying what I was trying to get at much more succinctly :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh totally, because my social science degrees have SO paid off since I got them :holy:

... I do enjoy what I do and I don't make bad money at it... and I have plenty of room for advancement, but that's because what I enjoy doing is something for which there is a demand and not everyone can do it (no matter what some people say) :)

doing what you love and becoming rich from it only works if you have outstanding talents and loves, otherwise, that advice is total bullshit :yes:

KDude

oh totally, because my social science degrees have SO paid off since I got them :holy:

... I do enjoy what I do and I don't make bad money at it... and I have plenty of room for advancement, but that's because what I enjoy doing is something for which there is a demand and not everyone can do it (no matter what some people say) :)

I don't know why, but everyone I've met in sales seems as happy as you. To me, it sounds like hell.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know why, but everyone I've met in sales seems as happy as you. To me, it sounds like hell.

because the only people who last more than a few weeks are the ones who really enjoy selling things... and if you enjoy it you have a much better chance of being good at it :laugh:

KDude

because the only people who last more than a few weeks are the ones who really enjoy selling things... and if you enjoy it you have a much better chance of being good at it :laugh:

fair enough. i was just wondering if the job itself changes you.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
because the only people who last more than a few weeks are the ones who really enjoy selling things...

Pretty much what I was going to say. Also, I would think many people who don't have the personality for sales would know it, and would know the job would be hellish for them and not even attempt it in the first place. I know I never would.