• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who's in Corporate?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) what's it like?
2) what job experience did you need?
3) did you need a degree?
4) how many years did it take to build your resume
5) was any sort of networking required to get your job?
6) what sort of skills do you need? what sort of skills do they look for on your resume?
7) what do you like about your job?
8) what do you dislike about your job?
9) do they like ENFP 7w8 Sp/Sx's

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Start your own company, Elfboy, and be the CEO.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
1) what's it like?

It's fucking awesome.

Minor writing experience; it's a start up.

No, but I have an unrelated degree (law) that helped win over my boss.

I built it in about an hour. I can do yours in an hour too.

(The quality of your resume is determined by the demands of the job.)

Yes. It's the first time I got a job through a friend, but it was much easier than going through the awfulness of job applications and interviews. One interview, done.

6) what sort of skills do you need? what sort of skills do they look for on your resume?

First, I work as a content manager and social media guy, officially. But I ended up creating presentations, doing a lot of business writing, Illustrator/Photoshop, and doing a lot of UI/UX stuff. I also help with business development. Skills needed for my job tasks: writing, editing, MS Office, basic understanding of design and presentation, being organized, being assertive, knowing how to set boundaries (so I don't get overburdened with requests), and good listening skills (so I don't misunderstand projects). Skills that have helped me gravitate towards the top of the company in a relatively short time: wit, knowing who to make friends with, not being afraid to speak up or be a leader while still deferring to my superiors when push came to shove, having very good communication skills, not losing my cool.

I get to write and create powerpoints (which I love since I like explaining things) and do minor graphic design. Things are rapidly changing from day to day because of my boss's personality and the nature of start ups, so I don't have to sit with any single project for too long. I have a lot of great, GREAT coworkers which feels like a tribe. Because things are small (30 people) I can exert a lot of influence on business decisions. I also learn a TON about management and about business strategy--what to do and what not to do. Great lessons about leadership and growth that I couldn't read in a book.

Having superiors; watching them make poor management and business decisions.

YES THEY FUCKING LOVE THEM. I don't know. I don't type everyone at work. I bet most people are sensors, equal mix of P and J. This is what I would tell you: if you're smart and understand that a business is primarily about making money, then you'll do fine. You don't have to be a bastard to be successful, in fact, you can and should keep your values and infuse them into your thought process. But your values should be viewed less as a guide and more as a boundary. You're an ENFP and you want to champion certain causes you view as just. That's fine, but you need to keep in mind that in a business, the main cause is money, not justice.

I don't think your type presents a problem for either your success or happiness if you can successfully separate your personal priorities in life from the priorities in your job. If you have a burning desire to align your life goals and career goals, then you need to make sure that your corporation cares as much about your passion as they do about profit--that's rare. If you can tease apart your goals from your corporation's goal--not abandoning, but keeping them in check and in perspective--then your type is irrelevant and your intelligence and skills are what determine your career satisfaction and success.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) what's it like?

It's fucking awesome.

Minor writing experience; it's a start up.

No, but I have an unrelated degree (law) that helped win over my boss.

I built it in about an hour. I can do yours in an hour too.

(The quality of your resume is determined by the demands of the job.)

Yes. It's the first time I got a job through a friend, but it was much easier than going through the awfulness of job applications and interviews. One interview, done.

First, I work as a content manager and social media guy, officially. But I ended up creating presentations, doing a lot of business writing, Illustrator/Photoshop, and doing a lot of UI/UX stuff. I also help with business development. Skills needed for my job tasks: writing, editing, MS Office, basic understanding of design and presentation, being organized, being assertive, knowing how to set boundaries (so I don't get overburdened with requests), and good listening skills (so I don't misunderstand projects). Skills that have helped me gravitate towards the top of the company in a relatively short time: wit, knowing who to make friends with, not being afraid to speak up or be a leader while still deferring to my superiors when push came to shove, having very good communication skills, not losing my cool.

I get to write and create powerpoints (which I love since I like explaining things) and do minor graphic design. Things are rapidly changing from day to day because of my boss's personality and the nature of start ups, so I don't have to sit with any single project for too long. I have a lot of great, GREAT coworkers which feels like a tribe. Because things are small (30 people) I can exert a lot of influence on business decisions. I also learn a TON about management and about business strategy--what to do and what not to do. Great lessons about leadership and growth that I couldn't read in a book.

Having superiors; watching them make poor management and business decisions.

YES THEY FUCKING LOVE THEM. I don't know. I don't type everyone at work. I bet most people are sensors, equal mix of P and J. This is what I would tell you: if you're smart and understand that a business is primarily about making money, then you'll do fine. You don't have to be a bastard to be successful, in fact, you can and should keep your values and infuse them into your thought process. But your values should be viewed less as a guide and more as a boundary. You're an ENFP and you want to champion certain causes you view as just. That's fine, but you need to keep in mind that in a business, the main cause is money, not justice.

I don't think your type presents a problem for either your success or happiness if you can successfully separate your personal priorities in life from the priorities in your job. If you have a burning desire to align your life goals and career goals, then you need to make sure that your corporation cares as much about your passion as they do about profit--that's rare. If you can tease apart your goals from your corporation's goal--not abandoning, but keeping them in check and in perspective--then your type is irrelevant and your intelligence and skills are what determine your career satisfaction and success.

you make it sound really easy :D

gromit

likes this
Yes I got a degree in engineering, applied for a job I saw online and have it now. A colleague who had formerly worked at a place where I interned was at the new company when I applied, so I think that helped.

They wanted engineering skills and reasoning ability, which I gained through internships and school and they also trained me on the job too.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure. Why shouldn't it be? People sometimes make it harder than it seems. If you can demonstrate your value, people will want to work with you.

so it's easy if you have value/hard skills? makes sense. I don't have any of those yet lol just a lot of drive, confidence and ambition

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
do you find me too disagreeable for an office job :D

I don't know, but it seems like you want to be the boss, so why not just jump right to that?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That is whole truth:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_Kfjo3VjU"]:D[/YOUTUBE]

Lark

I think you want to define corporate, I work for a health trust which is a corporation, although most people who say "corporate" mean the capitalist PLCs.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know, but it seems like you want to be the boss, so why not just jump right to that?

that requires investment capital :yes:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
so it's easy if you have value/hard skills? makes sense. I don't have any of those yet lol just a lot of drive, confidence and ambition

That's important too. Some people will look at that and believe in that alone, but most people--smart people--want to see that you have skills/knowledge/experience or that you'll be able to learn quickly and perform well.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

oh don't worry. I am a dark worker, Objectivist, entrepreneur in training. my values are fully aligned with all aspects of business :yes:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you want to define corporate, I work for a health trust which is a corporation, although most people who say "corporate" mean the capitalist PLCs.

Yes, I thought he meant public companies.

that requires investment capital :yes:

Then get some!
So many companies started with nothing.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) what's it like?

I'm not sure what you're really looking for.