• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How did you get your job?

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm reading this book, "What Color Is Your Parachute," and am quite surprised to find out that there's only a 7% success rate for posting or mailing out the resume to employers. Though after reading the description, it actually makes sense to me.

I wonder if this has been the reason why I'm still unemployed.

I only had one working experience and I've been referred. Though now I'm in a country that has no networks nor connections, I realized I have to change my tactics.

Though I'm interested in how you got landed your current job and hopefully you would share this. :wubbie:

P.S.: For those who have read the book, I would like to hear what's the most valuable lesson you've learned the most from Bolles?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Stamina was the main factor I think. like a lot of people, most of the applications I sent off were never replied to. I found the main factor to success was being able to pick through my work experience and education and highlight the most relevant points.

The other thing is to descide what you are prepared to do in order to get a job. Odd working hours? Low pay? Long travel times or even having to move? Know what you will and wont put up with before you apply. And be realistic.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got my job through the arts jobs postings of the Guardian, one of the biggest papers here. In a way I was lucky because I think they get loads of applicants for those jobs...but the one I got was fairly specialized, so I don't think they would have got as many applicants as the average publishing editorial assistant job or something like that would get (hundreds!).

I started thinking about how I got my jobs in the past.

-Bookshop assistant - dropped in with resume.
-Library assistant - they didn't have a specific job advertised but invited applications anyway and some time after I applied I got called.
-Telephone surveys - I think it was advertised in the local papers.
-Telephone reservations for an airline - friends working there told me they were looking for people with my language skills. I think the friends passed on my CV.
-Customer relations for an airline - a temp job through an agency, which then went permanent.
-Temp work at a publishing company - partly through a contact who worked there, partly through an agency.
-Further contracts at that publishing company - through internal contacts and application.
-Current publishing job - through applying to a newspaper ad.

I've also had freelance writing jobs which were advertised, or my brother passed on to me because he works in a similar area, etc... They may have been cautious as I didn't have a lot of experience at first but when they saw my writing they wanted more. :D

I'd built up some pretty good experience when I applied for the current job. I'd also had quite a few interviews, many through newspaper or agency ads but none of them worked out...

I've read the parachute book, but ages ago. I think it's worth trying everything. Personal contacts certainly help but it can be hard when you're new in a country.

Do your best to spin your resume to highlight the most favourable skills for what you're applying for. You can definitely do this and not lie! Just highlight whatever is most impressive and useful and think how it could fit well for the company or job.

Hope it works out soon :hug:

T

ThatGirl

I decided I wanted the Job.

Turned in the resume.

And went in asking for an interview every two weeks after until I finally got one.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I applied on CareerBuilder :cheese:

before that I generally got jobs by showing up in person and pretty much demanding the job... it works surprisingly well :yes:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Most of mine have been through friends, recruiters, and internet applications. Tailoring your resume and cover letter is important, and so is follow up, but without pestering them too much. Persistence with charm, without being annoying. And always be ready to summarize your experience and its relevance intelligently when asked.

Engineers are more likely to be successful applying over the internet than others, though.

For jobs that don't require specialized education or skill, it's usually best to show up in person and ask to talk to the manager, then make arrangements from there if necessary. That's how I got all my high school cashier jobs.

Edit: Actually, showing up and talking to them in person is probably good for any job.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Mostly luck, really. I was about ready to get out of graduate school, and as I was leaving the field that I'd studied in, went to the college career center to get some ideas. The counselor told me that an office on campus that was in my general region of interest didn't have openings, but that he knew a guy there who'd probably be willing to talk to me just so I could get a better idea of what things were like. I went and talked to the guy, and we had a good conversation.

Turns out they *did* have positions open. He referred me to the department chair, and after an "aptitude test" I was basically offered my choice of a few different things that they had available. I wound up taking the one that they "really" needed someone for (which as it turned out, was also the best option, although one I'd never have considered myself qualified for - I'd never even heard of a significant portion of what was on the job requirements). That was 11 years ago, and I'm still there.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'd say if you have the confidence to do it, get suited and booted and go cold calling with your resume, even if they don't have any positions, give them a copy of it. You never know, they may just get back in touch.

With my first job i went cold calling and someone liked what they saw so i was hired.

My second job i decided i enjoyed the banking element of the previous job so went to an agency and got into the banking sector there i was then made a permanent member of staff and promoted. Then i was made redundant.

Before my last job i was unemployed for 11 months and stopped counting after i applied for my 100th job. I was doing courses to show i was still active in my pursuit for growth and by chance the receptionist at the place i was taking the course told me about some vacancies for which i should apply (administrator and adviser position).
Funnily enough the application for the administrator was far better than the adviser yet i got the adviser position. Then i was made redundant, lol.

Good luck in your quest :)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, I also had a decent contract job which I got picked up for by a recruiter, from having registered on Monster. I think that's worth it particularly if you have somewhat specialized skills. THe job was editing audio transcripts for the courts. I would have stayed with it but had a publishing opportunity come along which I really wanted to pursue.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've gotten all my jobs from answering ads in the newspaper, but I've been at the same one now for 11 years, so it's been awhile, maybe things have changed. I know that after a couple of jobs in the same field, it was easier to get another job in that field. Relevant education and experience of any kind that tracks is helpful. The more specialized you can become in your chosen field, the better off you seem to be. There might be fewer jobs, but there are also fewer applicants. I researched what areas within my skill set had the most steady demand, and I sent out resumes and pulled out all the stops to talk my first boss into hiring me with no experience, put in a couple of years, moved up; put in a couple more years; moved up, etc.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Networking, and connections.

I think this gets you further than anything else.

---------------

I got my current job by creating it. Started a small business. I can't work for others; it's awful.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
By applying to an ad on craigslist (current job only).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll talk about real jobs, vs. summer jobs, school jobs, and internships.

Job 1 - I had no job when I graduated from college. I assumed a particular firm would hire me. They didn't. It was during a recession and it was hard to get a job. I spent a couple months doing research on the fastest growing industry sectors, best companies to work for, etc. and sent letters to 60 of them. Actually, I sent wedding invitations, "You are cordially invited to hire.....". I included a miniature copy of my resume in there. It did work and I did get a job in a couple of months.

Job 2 - Disenchanted with Job 1, I picked 3 companies I wanted to work for, found the right person to send the resumes to, who I knew or were prominent in my field. I got interviews with 2 of them. I didn't like the one and the other I did like, I took. It took about 2 or 3 weeks I think.

Job 3 - A headhunter or recruiter called me, luring me away from Job 2. They were patient in pursuing me for about 8 months at which point, I finally caved in and took the offer.

So, it got increasingly easy each time. Not sure that will always be the case though.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I landed my current job through contacts I made while in the military. I have been very lucky with employment, and always able to network my way into jobs as needed. I usually focused on using contacts and persistence to get into the organization I wanted, and then working my way into the preferred job after proving myself.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Found my first job over an ad at university. In that job then the main task is to build networks over netwroks of people. Now I have a lot of connections I can go to, especially as an engineer you can basically choose your job. I applied for an internship via mail at several companies and all replied with about 2/3 wanting me.

Best thing to get a job is always connections and a network. If you are on the lookput, I'd advise signing up on a business social media site, a serious one; not necessarily a recruiter site. Sending mails or letters to companies sometimes takes them millenia to respond to, so maybe calling them or adressing mails to bosses would be a good idea.

I got lucky so far in finding jobs but it can be tough as hell. Guess the best thing is to try try try and never stop that. In Germany we have something called "labor department" in every town and they have huge collections of people looking for employees. If you can maybe build some connections over a job offer network that would be a good thing.

I keep thumbs crossed :)

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I'll talk about real jobs, vs. summer jobs, school jobs, and internships.

Job 1 - I had no job when I graduated from college. I assumed a particular firm would hire me. They didn't. It was during a recession and it was hard to get a job. I spent a couple months doing research on the fastest growing industry sectors, best companies to work for, etc. and sent letters to 60 of them. Actually, I sent wedding invitations, "You are cordially invited to hire.....". I included a miniature copy of my resume in there. It did work and I did get a job in a couple of months.

Job 2 - Disenchanted with Job 1, I picked 3 companies I wanted to work for, found the right person to send the resumes to, who I knew or were prominent in my field. I got interviews with 2 of them. I didn't like the one and the other I did like, I took. It took about 2 or 3 weeks I think.

Job 3 - A headhunter or recruiter called me, luring me away from Job 2. They were patient in pursuing me for about 8 months at which point, I finally caved in and took the offer.

So, it got increasingly easy each time. Not sure that will always be the case though.

That's awesome. What kind of work do you do?