• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How did you get your job?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it easier to get jobs by networking. This job was a complete act of networking. In fact, looks like most of the people I work with did, as well.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I got my current job after applying to 100+ other jobs, and mainly, I got it because I knew someone (my mother and another person) who worked for the organization already. The other deciding factors were the fact that I was obviously not a dumbass and had a genuine desire to help people by solving problems.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It was through job board postings. Actually, I went to 10 unsuccessful interviews at different places before an 11th interview was successful. Matches somewhat with your statistics there.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i remember at one job. i told my boss that i wanted to
move to x department. he said i had to wait a few more
months. so i marched across the street to a rival agency,
and found the head of the department i wanted to work in
and asked for a job. and i got it.

i only send out resumes to do check my market value.
but if there's a specific job i want it. i go out for it.

wolfy

awsm
P.S.: For those who have read the book, I would like to hear what's the most valuable lesson you've learned the most from Bolles?

I was asked when a gym was opening to come and work there. I found some jobs by asking and some others by seeing openings. I read that book a long time ago, I guess the biggest take away was know your own style. I like Pathfinder as a career book too. Basically the same message I took away. Know your own style and develop it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rolled into it. At first with the intention to keep it temporary, but I got stuck.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After I obtained my undergraduate degree in the middle of the pandemic, I started looking for any office positions that would take me. I applied for the administrative assistant position at the place where I currently work, filled out an application, and after doing a quick review of my app, they decided to call me in for an interview.

I was sent to the CEO's office, and she shared with me that they had an opening for their reports analyst position. She and the other people in operations thought I would be an excellent fit for the job due to my college degree, grades, and work experiences. She basically hired me before she even interviewed me, actually, for which I am lucky since I don't make good first impressions anywhere except paper.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I spoke about how I have goals and that I take the steps to reach those goals and get what I want to accomplish done. Including the story about how I started writing video games. Hell, at my last job that I interviewed for? The HR manager essentially told me "Wait a sec," as he left the room to go find the STORE boss. He comes in, asks me one question and leaves. HR guy walks in and says "You got it." The store boss even said himself that I blew them away.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started off in sales. Did better year over year, becoming one of the highest performers in the company. Eventually decided I wanted to advance and expressed to upper management that I wanted to move up and grow with the company in some form of management position. Waited almost 3 years until an opportunity arose. Annnnnnnd Voala.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Poor people nepotism.

Elegiac

Wandering & Wondering
MBTI Type
INFP
A friend worked at the company.....

And I just got a random job offer the other day from an employer. Too bad it's TOO FAR AWAY.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I posted about the development of my skills several years ago. I went through several jobs.

I now have a satisfactory job. Think if Lithuania had Google, I would be in it. Think if Arizona in USA had Microsoft, that would be it.

I'm an angry.. or ex-angry.. sometimes angry engineer-wannabe who is'nt a millionare yet, probably because my brains were fucked up 20 years ago. I've used some time to recover.

I'm the kind of guy who would try to bite your neck off if you attempted some weasel words at me. If I were as autistic as that Greta, I would go shouting, you ruined my adulthood. Shame on you.

Oh did I have to answer a question?

Well I'm a good programmer who has more than half a degree in engineering said field, and has tons of experience. So the good folks at my latest corporation cought on to that. And it's good.

70k a year is of course not cutting it for me for the rest of my life.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got my job through hard-work, dedication, a proactive work ethic, and of course...

#Joke post

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At my current job, I'd been working at an office and out of the blue, the guy I used to sit next to contacted me. He'd gone to this office and was working for a little while, when he needed to move to Texas to care for his parents. I had an interview with my current boss and was hired, essentially taking over my friend's project, which was just beginning construction.

it turned out to be a great fit, and I can see why my friend didn't want to stay. Back then, there were domineering ppl in the office, who have since left in disgrace :D. I've been here coming on 15 years, I think.

it's a minor miracle bc I can be shy and am terrible at networking, ha.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I usually send application through job portals.
I only sent hardcopy application when I got my first real estate agent job.
I am have been making account in freelance website, expecting I can land a freelance project from there.

Emerald Rain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I got the job by referral. I agreed to become someone's reference and they got the job, then when an opening opened up he tried to return the favor by referring me. Previous job was by resume though.