• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Double degree, Biology and Philosophy?? What now?

xisnotx

Permabanned
It's looking very likely that I will graduate with a two degrees, one in Philosophy and the other in Biology. How this came about is beyond me and I'm a bit perplexed as to how this will shape my future professional career. I honestly just ended up studying what I thought was interesting at the time and that mindset has gotten me into the schizophrenic mess I'm in today. I wasn't targeting any specific career (which I wouldn't recommend by the way..school is way too expensive to be messing around like I was/am)..

I'll probably graduate within a year..(perhaps longer depending on how course schedules line up)..and I have no idea where I'll be after that. I really don't want to work a two bit job, so I was thinking grad school, law school, med school, or something else..

But, assuming I do stop going to school and join the real world, what job industries would you recommend I look into? Where, if anywhere, would a Biology and Philosophy degree be useful/needed/highly valued? Is there a niche for philosophical biologists, or biological philosophers?

Any and all comments appreciated.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Philosophy seems so dead outside of academics.. if you want to be a professor of sorts, this seems to be useful. I haven't seen much success with it outside of that.
Biology is such a wide field, you almost have to start interning at places, helping researching, or finding a more specific thing to help tailor your resume from "biology". "The study of life" is just too broad a category.

Luckily, most of the time degrees don't mean a ton. They mean more to have one than to not, but the label doesn't suggest being a subject matter expert or anything either. We hired a guy in IT one time because he had a degree in microbiology. THe reasoning? "HE must be smart." .. We could have found someone with no degree, but years of computer experience, but we chose that dude. Not to say he'd never touched a computer in his life, but the label under his studies didn't mean much. The degree stands for hard work, and dedication, and motivation to finish what you start. It stands for education as a whole--everyone knows you don't JUST learn "biology" in college.

So, use that all to your advantage. You never mentioned what sort of work you want to get into.. but you did mention you have no idea. I would start with creating one. Research jobs, ask people and professors about jobs.. just look around and see what is out there. If you find something that sparks your interest, find out the requirements, and go for it. If you fail, or end up not liking it, you can always find something related to it. Always.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I'd go to grad school for biology. It's certain that the philosophy degree will actually enhance your chances of admission. It's possible you might find a position in the medical ethics community but I think that normally that required more specialized training/education (though I may be wrong). I think you'll find any scientific career really requires a masters to get past very basic, entry level positions.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Medical ethics, like jimrckhnd said, is something to get into with a degree in both philosophy and bio. Even the philosophical half would be quite useful for enhancing your perspective in biological research.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yep, bioethics is what I was thinking too. You could also try law school and go into patent law if you have a bioengineering degree. I think a masters usually suffices.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Yep, bioethics is what I was thinking too. You could also try law school and go into patent law if you have a bioengineering degree. I think a masters usually suffices.

You know... law school is a very interesting idea with that background - particularly with certain aspects of intellectual property law. Good thought!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No matter what you study in the States, all roads lead to law school :)

ewomack

Though law will almost always pay off, the jobs have become so competitive that many law degree holders now struggle to find work. More lawyers exist than jobs at the moment. This will likely change in the next 5-10 years as those who would have gone into law choose other occupations and open up the field again.

Here's a link --> Law schools lure fewer students as jobs dry up

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Write a book? With that kind of knowledge, you might be able to sell some niche books. You will not be able to pay off your school debt, but it could be fun!