• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hey teachers, (and band teachers)

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Big question here: How are you with your kids? How do you establish rapport with them? And be connected with them?

I've been real shy my whole life, and haven't always felt like I've known what to say. But I love high school kids and I love marching band. After all, you can't discipline your kids if they don't know you.

So what works for your kids? Looking for someone's 2 cents here...

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, gee, that's a good question. I think the important thing is to be authentic – children are especially adept at picking up on fake vibes, something some people lose as they get older. So I guess that means don't try too hard. I'm just myself, and I find it works.

Another thing to keep in mind is: let's say someone is being a real weirdo jerk-off in class. Rather than reprimanding someone in front of the room, take them aside and address the issue on a one-on-one basis. I find this much more effective, and when students notice you have a genuine interest in them and what they do, it typically works.

These seem like no-brainers, but that's a good start. If you need advice for specific situations, though, I'd need more details first. :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Just be who you are. The kids will see that you care about them, and they will respond to that. I think they can tell when teachers are uptight or jaded or whatever, and they naturally respond to those who truly enjoy their company and respect them. It's been my experience in life and as a teacher that kids and teens are pretty drawn to INTPs anyway, because we always treat them like equals.

Make sure you let them know in the beginning what your "rules" and consequences are, and let the onus be on them to be responsible.