• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New enterprise, advice wanted.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am starting a Makerspace, which is technically more of a hobby subject, but the organization will be a non profit company so I'm posting here.

I feel competent enough to get this off the ground. I'm very passionate about the cause and somewhat experienced in the nuts and bolts of business. I have one dedicated partner in crime (IXTP), and 3 unknowns, we will be meeting on Monday.

I am aware of my personal weaknesses in these situations, which are very typically ENFP, and could definitely use any advice. I'm committed to leading this thing strongly. Last year I was part of a SciFi/Fantasy Covention Committee which I ultimately dropped out of because I'm not really into fandom, but also because the leader drove me crazy. He was a super nice INFP, but not decisive and also confrontation avoidant. He also wasn't very organized, something I will also have to address.

So now I'm confronted with getting this thing off the ground. This will initially involve recruiting members, implementing a committee structure, establishing a web presence and a community presence and raising funds. And this is just phase 1.

What I want to end up with is to have a shared space where people who like to create can share knowledge and resources, a community. Also promote the causes of repairing and reusing things and teaching people the power of being able to fix and modify things. I would also like certain things when it comes to our image and physical presence, but ultimately I think this should be a reflection of the membership.

So, what should I do or avoid doing? I want this thing to work.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The thing that first came to my mind was that you definitly need an image that sets you apart from deviantart that would prolly be your greatest competitor. Other than that in non-profit organisations you'll need a clear management structure, I wouldnt advice to make the big decisions into a team effort. Team work is good, but it always involves compromise and its like the saying: multiple cooks destroy the soup. I'd form a circle of trustees, maybe 2-3 people and then an advisory board, which develops over time. At first I'd put in that the founders and later on members who are really dedicated. the advisory board then should bring decisions to the inner circle.

Thats my 5 cents, clear management and allocation of authority to decide, a difference to the competitive environment (prolly the first thing to brainstorm about).

A good thing to have a successful management is to employ bureaucratic structures in meetings. have one who does a protocol and one who is the moderator and who works down a "Top of the Day List", which is given as a handout to everyone in the beginning of the meeting. The moderators first role is to steer the discussion when it gets out of control and besides that to moderate it. The protocol is given after 2-3 days after the meeting to every participant, to remember of what was discussed. This really does help, tho it sounds like a boring thing to do.

Good luck !

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good stuff, Ent. Oh, I do want to clarify that this ultimately a physical venture, with a building filled with literal tools. I need access to a laser cutter and a 3D printer. :D

What you are describing is a lot more rigid than what I had in mind, but you have a point.. I'll have to think on it. The term to keep in mind might be Beneficent Dictator then?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Nah, I didnt mean you should be a dictator :). You know many great ideas started off as a team effort where everyone was friends and agreed. But soon the idea developed and at some point the former friends started to have different opinions. For a case like that you should have clear rules of authority, so that nobody can steal the majority of your project and run away. As long as you are in a working team, nobody needs to be a boss, especially in a non-profit thing it wouldnt work if someone would play the big boss. You just need structure of your project and in your discussions, for that moderation and protocol are good things.

Management is often a misprized thing. I am working for the department of economical growth in my hometown, we support business starters. 80% of them failed due to mismanagement thats why we brought our support department into existance.