• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

No Idea Where to Start with the Whole Grad School...

G

Glycerine

Somewhere between personality, psychopathy/abnormal, and evolutionary psychology in adults.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree with evolutionary psychology since you minored in anthropology.

G

Glycerine

I really wanted to but at the same time, it is such a limited field. I would have to ponder whether or not, I want to be in academia for my whole career.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
IT'S NOT FUN DON'T DO IT.

[/current grad student, 1 year away from thesis submission]

But if you're a masochist, check out Chronicle.com and its associated forum. It's a great place to start.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Somewhere between personality, psychopathy/abnormal, and evolutionary psychology in adults.

Have you done a review of the literature produced in those fields? It is possible you not be impressed with what you see.

G

Glycerine

IT'S NOT FUN DON'T DO IT.

[/current grad student, 1 year away from thesis submission]

But if you're a masochist, check out Chronicle.com and its associated forum. It's a great place to start.
Don't you have to go beyond undergrad for social sciences? Part of me wishes that I pursued something practical like mathematics but since I am so deep into it, I am going full speed ahead.
Have you done a review of the literature produced in those fields? It is possible you not be impressed with what you see.
Out of the literature,evolutionary psych and physical anthropology excite me the most.

Qre:us

Do you want to do research or go into clinical work? Do you want the human connection in your field of work?

Have you thought about Clinical Psychology (tapping into your abnormal psychology interest)? Or Counselling Psychology?

There are more concrete jobs out there for such professions, but Clin Psych is really hard to get into, and since you've done so well......it's worth a realistic shot (only if you're so inclined).

Otherwise, you're headed for the world of academia, and, likely gotta see it all the way to PhD (including post-doc after), to make any kind of stable mark for yourself, i.e., tenure track........other option: research, research and more research, which can be...what's the expression?......not that exciting. Yes, you get published, but it can seem like an endless cycle of incestuous mental jerking off, after a while. The same ol' gang.

G

Glycerine

I haven't looked at the literature for over a year because I have not had to write a lit review in that subject area for awhile so you do bring up a great point. I should read up on the literature again. I was reading a lot of David Buss.

G

Glycerine

So I decided not to go to grad school right away, I might pursue criminal psychology. What makes people "crack" has always fascinated me.

storybrook

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Unless you are planning a career in academia I don't think you should focus so much on finding the subject area that interests you most. Outside of academia it's more important to choose a degree that prepares you for the kind of job you want to have. You will spend at most 4-5 years studying, and probably 40 or more working, so imagine your ideal work environment and choose a program of study based on your ultimate goal.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
So I decided not to go to grad school right away

i don't see your op anymore, but i like what
you've said above. i think it's a great idea to
wait for awhile before doing your masters
especially if you're still unsure of exactly
what it is you want to get out of it.

it's great to have a specific area that you're
great at, but the ability to stretch your talents
into other areas in a highly collaborative way--i
think that's what most school leavers/people have
trouble with.

if anything, consider developing a depth of expertise
in a specific area before moving onto the next. that's
wholly different that the 'i'm a mix of everything'. in
that way you have specific, easy to grasp,
depth-of-craft skills.

true hybrid talent has more than one depth of expertise.
and that's exceptionally hard and a very rare breed.

G

Glycerine

Great advice. Thank you. I was looking through GRE and grad school books and the one of the important things that I seem to be missing was enthusiasm and passion for something.

[MENTION=14150]storybrook[/MENTION]: the reason why I was leaning towards the criminal psych was because I have a famial connection in the government so I would have a possibility to apply it outside academia. However, diversification sounds like the best idea.