• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

nothing appeals to me

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
You could always try becoming a career guidance counsellor. :alttongue:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You should just get a driving job of some sort, preferably with a company vehicle. You don't want to tear up your own auto. Driving jobs are great because you're on your own most of the time and you basically have freedom to do things your way.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought you wanted to go to cooking school?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been there too....
The only advice I can give you is to start trying.
Get up and do something, whether you want to do it or not.
Decide to try and do it.
Try will eventually turn into something more.

uncommonentity

I'm sure money appeals to you. Find a way to make money and exploit it. If money doesn't appeal to you, enjoy being homeless.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
You're probably very creative or free-spirited. You won't likely find what you want by following traditional routes. Society is run by head knowledge, but you don't have to conform to this... find out who you really are at heart and go with that, and don't look back.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
part of the problem is I have no life skills and very little social skills, so I'm already at a disadvantage to start.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
part of the problem is I have no life skills and very little social skills, so I'm already at a disadvantage to start.

Everyone starts that way. Skills are easily acquired through practice. You have to start somewhere. If nothing appeal to you, learn something that pays well It's easier to find yourself when you don't have to spend most of your time struggling to make ends meet.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not_me is right.... just start working at it and it will grow. I can't promise it will be easy, simple, or fun, but nothing good earned in life ever is.

ygolo

My termites win
I suggest reading What Color Is Your Parachute? some recent year's edition. I have the 2010 edition.

Nothing may appeal to you, but somethings will appeal to you even less than other things. It's about tuning your sensitivity to your likes and dislikes. It's a relative thing.

Also, you believe you have no life skills, but we know you are an imaginative writer when it comes to dialogue at least. You have also had some education (made it through high school, and even courses you've failed build up skills--think back to what you did better than other things--again it's relative)

Think about the following things (again, I emphasize, it's relative, you may dislike everything, but somethings you will dislike less):
  1. Which of the following transferable skills do you have, want to use or want to learn?:
    • using your hands (for assembling, building, repairing, operating, etc)
    • using your body (being physical, sports, dancing, manual labor, etc.)
    • using words (reading, writing, talking, teaching, etc.)
    • using your senses (observing, examining, diagnosing, etc.)
    • using numbers (taking inventory, calculating things, managing money, etc.)
    • using intuition (using foresight, having insight, etc.)
    • using analysis or logic (analyzing, researching, etc.)
    • using originality or creativity (imagining, inventing, designing, etc.)
    • using helpfulness (caring, listening, motivating, understanding, etc.)
    • using artistic abilities (composing/playing music, expressiveness through color/shape/texture, etc.)
    • using leadership (leading, organizing, selling, etc.)
    • using follow-through (attending to details, etc.)
  2. Where do you want to live?
  3. What type of knowledge would you like to learn and apply?
  4. What sorts of people would you like to work with?
  5. What overarching goals so you want you work to serve?
  6. What working conditions do you prefer?
  7. What salary and corresponding level of responsibility do you want?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hey Prpl are you still in the area? The Art Institute of SF has lots of majors including culinary. Also, there is a fancy new cooking school in the south bay. Also, you can live in a coop, raise chickens in the back yard, and making money doing odd jobs and temping until you figure out what you want to do. If you can't start a career or school right now, focus on the kind of life you want, with the kind of people, activities, tempo, etc.

xisnotx

Permabanned

I think you are doing what you need to do. I wouldn't recommend reading anything to give you ideas. You have ideas..use them.
I've been there, (I might still be there) and all I can say..is think...really think about what you want your legacy to be. If we only have one life to live, we might as well live it fully, right? And if we are just biding our time till we go to heaven..what do you want to have done in the meantime? The fact that you don't know means that at least you are thinking about such questions, although perhaps not in these terms.

Random question...how would you like to die? Happily? Content? Satisfied? In fear? With hope? Among your friends and family? By yourself? On your way to something great? Having led a nation? Having cured a disease? Having liberated a people? Even if you try, and you fail, you can die knowing you tried, and I think that is reward in itself. Answer these questions..and I think life becomes a lot easier. I'm sure you know what I mean, the problem really isn't doing things, it's finding things to do.

Another question..what would you like the legacy of the human species to be? A bunch of crazy entities on a planet? A people that never gave up? A hopelessly misguided species etc etc Do you not see your role in this?

good luck. honestly.

culinary school? no offense to anyone..but we as a people need to get off our asses and start getting to work on more important issues than food. it's two thousand and fucking eleven and you are telling people to go to culinary school. she is, we are, much more than just fucking cooks. lead the people, or be led by the people. lead the thinking, or be led by the thinking.

end of mini rant.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I think you are doing what you need to do. I wouldn't recommend reading anything to give you ideas. You have ideas..use them.
I've been there, (I might still be there) and all I can say..is think...really think about what you want your legacy to be. If we only have one life to live, we might as well live it fully, right? And if we are just biding our time till we go to heaven..what do you want to have done in the meantime? The fact that you don't know means that at least you are thinking about such questions, although perhaps not in these terms.

Random question...how would you like to die? Happily? Content? Satisfied? In fear? With hope? Among your friends and family? By yourself? On your way to something great? Having led a nation? Having cured a disease? Having liberated a people? Even if you try, and you fail, you can die knowing you tried, and I think that is reward in itself. Answer these questions..and I think life becomes a lot easier. I'm sure you know what I mean, the problem really isn't doing things, it's finding things to do.

Another question..what would you like the legacy of the human species to be? A bunch of crazy entities on a planet? A people that never gave up? A hopelessly misguided species etc etc Do you not see your role in this?

good luck. honestly.

culinary school? no offense to anyone..but we as a people need to get off our asses and start getting to work on more important issues than food. it's two thousand and fucking eleven and you are telling people to go to culinary school. she is, we are, much more than just fucking cooks. lead the people, or be led by the people. lead the thinking, or be led by the thinking.

end of mini rant.

Well, somebody's got to make the food for the state dinners of the future leaders of nations. And why can't you follow a great leader and be a great chef?

xisnotx

Permabanned
^ you can. I won't.

If given the choice to be a great chef or a great leader the choice is easy.