• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Resume Guru's / HR people / Recruiters / Managers / Interviewers! Advice please :)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So here is the deal, I am wondering if I should omit my last job from my resume.

I worked there for only 4 months and was fired, dates of employment 12/2010-4/2011. I wasn't there for long and I am not sure if I would be considered as re hire-able at the company.

At the job before that I was there for 4 years, I know am definitely rehire-able there, dates of employment 12/2006-9/2010.

Should I omit the job I got fired from? It might look bad if it looks like I was unemployed since September 2010 wouldn't it??

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
She said we weren't the right fit for each other and it was nothing personal. :(

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As long as you can explain it I probably wouldn't leave off anything.

You could say it was always a temp thing!

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My buddy does have a company, he said I could say I worked for him, but I hate to lie!!!!! I guess if I left that job off I would be lying anyway. Blah!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
as long as you weren't fired for incompetence and the manager and you parted on friendly terms (like no yelling or anything!) I would definitley leave it on... I'm sure that you learned some useful skill there and if it's discovered that you worked there but didn't include it that will DEFINITLEY look bad :)

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
if it's discovered that you worked there but didn't include it that will DEFINITLEY look bad :)

This is the most important factor, I think... lots of people are losing jobs these days, and that in itself isn't all that unusual, I'd think. But there is some bias against longterm unemployed people (ie, the longer gap might be taken as a negative on your application)... but worse than that would be to have them discover that you intentionally omitted a job. They'll just assume you did something horrible to get fired -- stealing, causing trouble, etc.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Good points, I guess I will just keep it on the resume! Darn!

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
If the person hiring is at least somewhat competent, they'll consider a lot of factors in whether to hire you. The 4 years of positive work experience should definitely outweigh a short 4 months which ended in unwillful termination. It was the most recent, though, so be sure to put forward a good front and avoid anything that might make them think you've been in a slump.