• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Career help - I am a complete mess.

Chloe

apparently i am the problem, i guess i have ADD problems. i was thinking that disorder is not "disorder" and cant be a problem but then i met a guy who really has problem with school bc of it and figured my "add" is even bigger than his. As much as i was always good in school my focus sucked big time and that prevented me from going deep into stuff, so i just learned to pass (though i always had all As but it was always stretched and with minimal effort, so I managed to hide my "ADD")
even when i went to med school deep down in myself i knew i cant do it be ause i cant study that much but i managed to fool everyone to believe in me and that i can do it. I look more "careeristic" or able than i am.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When your interest does run out, you will have to pull your finger out and make a push towards achieving something that they can't take away from you. If you had an interest once, then it's always possible for it to come full circle and strike again. I've spoken to the dean of education of my university, and he told me that motivation for learning starts off at an average level during school, then makes a slump for the first years of university, but it slowly builds to a point where it's higher than ever. So if you push far enough, chances are, you will hit that point, gain momentum and suddenly pull it out of nowhere.

After you make a mistake, fix it, move on with that experience and share your wisdom. I really think 7/8 year courses like that are a joke, it's probably just the university trying to make more money from you.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
apparently i am the problem, i guess i have ADD problems. i was thinking that disorder is not "disorder" and cant be a problem but then i met a guy who really has problem with school bc of it and figured my "add" is even bigger than his. As much as i was always good in school my focus sucked big time and that prevented me from going deep into stuff, so i just learned to pass (though i always had all As but it was always stretched and with minimal effort, so I managed to hide my "ADD")
even when i went to med school deep down in myself i knew i cant do it be ause i cant study that much but i managed to fool everyone to believe in me and that i can do it. I look more "careeristic" or able than i am.

Hmm... I don't know about that. That's a much over-used diagnosis. (Not trying to underplay a possible illness), but it sounds like you're more interested in learning about a lot of things and finding out what's right. About normal for somebody starting college. Don't let potential or real ADD get you down, that's something that you'll just have to work with.

When your interest does run out, you will have to pull your finger out and make a push towards achieving something that they can't take away from you. If you had an interest once, then it's always possible for it to come full circle and strike again. I've spoken to the dean of education of my university, and he told me that motivation for learning starts off at an average level during school, then makes a slump for the first years of university, but it slowly builds to a point where it's higher than ever. So if you push far enough, chances are, you will hit that point, gain momentum and suddenly pull it out of nowhere.

After you make a mistake, fix it, move on with that experience and share your wisdom. I really think 7/8 year courses like that are a joke, it's probably just the university trying to make more money from you.

That's true, too. Things get a lot more interesting on an in depth level. First couple of years of undergrad, (American anyway) is gruelingly boring.

Chloe

I went pretty deep in medicine ( they say you learn everything in first 3 yrs and after is just repeating) to see what it is and found it boring as hell. Repetitive. You just follow some pre-established algoritm over and over again. On different people.

I guess its the same with most jobs. Maybe my expectations are too high.

Problem is I dont have time to learn about a lot things and then figure out... I need to decide in less than a month. Psychology vs. computers vs. medicine (i think i can safely say i eliminated this completely)

and btw KoD, no, if i drop out now I can never again go to med school in my country; dropping 2nd time i lose rights. Sounds scary when i think about it. but i think i am not for doctor really. I went for it for the wrong reasons ( i have family full of MDs and in senior yr of hs my dad got cancer so i was very influenced by that so i made over-night decision and went to med school :stupid:)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went pretty deep in medicine ( they say you learn everything in first 3 yrs and after is just repeating) to see what it is and found it boring as hell. Repetitive. You just follow some pre-established algoritm over and over again. On different people.

I guess its the same with most jobs. Maybe my expectations are too high.

Yep, perhaps this is true . I'm still trying to think, but I'm not coming up with much. I don't have enough information I guess. (Would need to know you better.)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
thanks for trying to help anyway :)

i guess ill just go for psychology :)

yeah... for now... keep us updated though, i'll be interested to know. I think we're going to be kind of limited with our career knowledge here, we're not career counselors. I don't really know what a lot of jobs are like.

Chloe

sure, i ll keep u posted

i even considered going to career counselors but it seems to me like just a waste of time:/
ds theyll give me holland codes and wtv.

Chloe

i just saw this part... oh no, they are not trying to make money on me - education is completely free here! I wont pay a penny!
at least something :D

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i just saw this part... oh no, they are not trying to make money on me - education is completely free here! I wont pay a penny!
at least something :D

:O that would explain why they're kicking you out of the course if you don't come back in a month.

Chloe

nah, its not after a month, i dropped out last summer, but officially was enrolled this yr, so it's too much without any "action" /passed tests, so they'll kick me out.
officially, you can study 2x longer than normal length of programme (in medicine case it's 12 yrs since programme is 6), and you can take 1 yr 3 times max, and 1 course 2 times max... or else -> kicked out.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
nah, its not after a month, i dropped out last summer, but officially was enrolled this yr, so it's too much without any "action" /passed tests, so they'll kick me out.
officially, you can study 2x longer than normal length of programme (in medicine case it's 12 yrs since programme is 6), and you can take 1 yr 3 times max, and 1 course 2 times max... or else -> kicked out.

I see what you mean now, but it is ridiculous how long these courses take. I mean, 4 years of maybe 100 if you're lucky, that's a visible chunk out of your lifetime. To be fair though, you're not only going to uni, you're living too, and what are you going to do with the rest of your life? Work. lol, at least your uni doesn't cost you anything :shrug:

Chloe

great majority of people go to uni until 28-30 here :D hahaha... nobody is that nuts to WORK hahaha.. you get free health ensurance, cheap food, some even scholarship, everybody lives with their parents anyway -wether they work or not, those who finish college are without jobs anyway lol - so being in school until you're 30 is completely logical :D

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
also it is very unlikely that i would be able to have career in example psychology - science work with degree in medicine.

A medical degree has far more possibilities and niches than a psychology degree though. And I'm not convinced you will like psychology for the reasons you have already provided against medicine. I used to like psychology too, until I saw that the majority of research was crap based mostly on questionnaires and committing the whole correlation=causation fallacy over and over again, even though there are multiple reasonable hypotheses. That is not my idea of science.

I am curious why you chose medicine in the first place though, considering you dislike biology? (Even if your reason was merely that it was a hard course to get into).

What other professional fields have you considered in depth (and provide reasons for rejecting them).

Chloe

A medical degree has far more possibilities and niches than a psychology degree though. And I'm not convinced you will like psychology for the reasons you have already provided against medicine. I used to like psychology too, until I saw that the majority of research was crap based mostly on questionnaires and committing the whole correlation=causation fallacy over and over again, even though there are multiple reasonable hypotheses. That is not my idea of science.

Yes, it's very likely I wont like psychology, but there's also applied psychology so chances are solid that i will find there something :shock:, or at least bigger than in medicine where i simply dont like any field. even psychiatry is something that i'd never had anything to do with because i dont believe in psychiatry, meds, etc.

I am curious why you chose medicine in the first place though, considering you dislike biology? (Even if your reason was merely that it was a hard course to get into).

haha, well, I was 18 when I had to pick... my reasons were this:
1) I was very talented in math and everybody expected from me to go there but I got very bored with it and needed something new.
2) yes, definately i wanted to go to top of the tops places. I thought I was too big potential for anything less than medicine. :doh:
3) my dad got cancer in last year of HS and I spent each day 2x in hospitals so that was probably the biggest influence, in 18-year old idealistic head.
4) my older sister is M.D.
5) Purity. I consider math the most pure science, but since I thought math is too removed from the real world, I wanted a perfect cross from "purity" and applied science. Most sciences like sociology, psychology seemed not enough pure and I wanted to study something that I know for certain is the truth.

Silly reasons, but it was long time ago, it doesnt even matter anymore.

What other professional fields have you considered in depth (and provide reasons for rejecting them).

I considered many, but some that I didnt exclude completely; math, and (dont know how you say in usa) electrotechnics/computer science.
What draws me to computers is the idea that i could probably earn money with least effort because of my math skills. and it is "safe", you just do what you have to do and you know you're fine. unlike psychology where you can fuck up with someones head if you have a bad day and there is no black/white answers. (a part of math that i like the most is that you are either right or wrong and you dont need to worry that it depends on your performance if you have right answers - if i explained it correctly.. nobody can tell you you're a bad mathematician if you have results. you can always be bad psychologyst).

R

Riva

^ You can be a 'call girl'. This way you could help people (desperate people) and earn a shit load of money.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I wanted to study something that I know for certain is the truth.

Might I suggest bricklaying, or carpentry? Seriously though, I don't recommend anything scientific if you want certain truth. How about becoming an artist?

Silly reasons, but it was long time ago, it doesnt even matter anymore.

The first reason was silly, but the others aren't.

I considered many, but some that I didnt exclude completely; math, and (dont know how you say in usa) electrotechnics/computer science.

That would probably be electrical engineering.

What draws me to computers is the idea that i could probably earn money with least effort because of my math skills. and it is "safe", you just do what you have to do and you know you're fine. unlike psychology where you can fuck up with someones head if you have a bad day and there is no black/white answers. (a part of math that i like the most is that you are either right or wrong and you dont need to worry that it depends on your performance if you have right answers - if i explained it correctly.. nobody can tell you you're a bad mathematician if you have results. you can always be bad psychologyst).

Clinical psychologists always manipulate their patients, not just on bad days.

The 'truth' of math is only that of tautology. One could romanticise it by imagining mathematicians exploring chaotic worlds of their own creation without a map (yes, they're artists!). The reality is that few have the patience to pursue pure mathematics (you would know if you were such a person as you would be solving problems that take days or weeks to solve in your spare time). If you're a bad mathematician, then you won't get results. Ever. ;)
Applied mathematics on the other hand has crossovers with engineering or science (including computer science). How much do you know about computer science or engineering? Programming and engineering is very much applying pre-established algorithms over and over again. There is both attention to detail and creativity required, but this usually has to do with the compromises involved, rather than, say, elegance of the problem. These fields can sometimes seem exciting as an outsider and potentially mundane as an insider (depending on your preferences).

I think it is a big mistake to concentrate on 'safety' or mix of science/math when choosing a career. What you need to consider is what those in the field actually do and whether you can put yourselves in those shoes. In terms of scientific fields, the papers that are written. In terms of engineering, the procedures that are followed to complete a project. Medicine has a huge range of possible niches in that regard, but you still have to waste a lot of time 'paying your dues' practising on the frontline until you can work towards those niches.
And so it goes for all the other possible careers.
Next, once you have narrowed down the list, you will need to ask people in those careers lots of questions. From the proportions of time spent on each aspect of their jobs, what frustrates them most about their job, to future career prospects. The only way you will really know what you are getting yourself into is by talking to real people in those fields. And that means that you will need to contact people who aren't on forums like this one. Don't get caught up on career questionnaires or career advisors either, nothing substitutes for talking to real people and putting yourself in their shoes.

If you have a month to decide, then you should be spending much of that time solving this question, rather than deciding prematurely.

G

Glycerine

The downside to going into neuropsychology is that it is VERY biology intensive and it is still in its infancy compared to other fields (which could be a positive). If you don't like chemistry and biology, neuropsychology is a BAD idea. I just completed one class on neuropsychology (it should be renamed biopsychology) and pretty much wanted to shoot myself because I am bored by biology.