• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Career help - I am a complete mess.

Chloe

I really need help in choosing career, since it is last call for it. I have 1 month to decide what will I go/continue school for, and I am lost quite a lot.

So first of all, here is a bit about my academic past; I went to specialized HS for mathematics, informatics etc.. mathematical-informatical gymnasium.
I was very good at it but find it repetitive and boring, so after HS I went to med school (in Europe we choose "major" right away). It was (probably?) a mistake from beginning since I refused to study 5 hours a day. Also, I had no intellectual interest in it (which continues to be my problem with many things). But I didnt figure all this out on time, so I continued with it.
To make story short: I have 3,5 more years. I dropped out 2 times already, last time with no intention to go back.
As my close friends say; there is no way you are for it because you dont ever ever talk about medicine.
Plus side: "only" 3,5 more years to go (and in my case i am turning 24 so it's time to finish school soon:blush:)

Other options: Psychology. (4,5 years till masters degree), way way easier than medicine. That's important because there's no way I could study 5 hours a day. (except things like math that you practice more than study).
Thing is, I figured it is for me last autumn, when I figured that things I've been interested in for long time are actually Psychology field...)
but now again, I am a bit bored with it... it always comes like this, I enroll in something and after a year or half a year I want something else.
Psychology has not enough math/natural science in it, and when I choose math/science they dont have enough social science.
Psychology was attractive to me because there are many fields in it, so many options. Lately I like idea of science part of it, but that's only for couple of months, before it was repulsive. I used to be attracted to helpin people, but currently that idea is just boring to me, I dont feel a drive to help people as on top of my priority list.

So, lately, I've come to idea, since I need to find a way to earn money in more decent or better paid way than flipping burgers - to learn web design.
Now, my preknowledge about computers sucks, completely. But I am very motivated to learn it, suddenly (after never ever having an interest in computers!) I started to be interested in them. So, I have a friend who is in web design and he started to teach me... which opens question, since I'm naturally good at math .. maybe I should go to study that ?!
Maybe that's just way for me to avoid commitment to psychology, because there is only 1 month left for me to enroll.

just to stress: we cant have "double" major, we take courses only from one major, nothing else. even 2 years of medicine (mostly pre-med courses) i took are useless and i need to go from start.
so i dont have more time to decide..

anyway.. i dont know what i really enjoy out of all that. currenlty i enjoy studying about computers, but knowing myself, i could get bored in few months and never ever want to learn about them.
i like when things are new and exciting, and would probably prefer to be my own boss.

there's no direct question in this post, i would prefer if someone asks me questions...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Computational biology? (but that's not offered by many universities)

Chloe

I dont know what's that, but I have NO interest whatsoever in biology or chemistry. :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know you don't want to study a lot, but what about combining medicine,science, and psychology? Neuroscience or psychiatry? (If you have an interest, it may be easier to study for long hours.) Less likely to get boring, like psychology.

Chloe

I know you don't want to study a lot, but what about combining medicine,science, and psychology? Neuroscience or psychiatry? (If you have an interest, it may be easier to study for long hours.)

I must admit I am so repulsed by whole medicine and working in hospitals etc., that I cant even consider it objectively without having a gag reflexs. And maybe you're right... but something in me+medicine is very wrong.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I must admit I am so repulsed by whole medicine and working in hospitals etc., that I cant even consider it objectively without having a gag reflexs. And maybe you're right... but something in me+medicine is very wrong.

Well, what environment are you thinking about? An office setting? An educational setting? A lab setting? An outdoor setting?

(I suppose you could choose a psych/science field and work in an educational setting or research)

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I would think that going the computer route may be good too. Technology is constantly changing so I doubt boredom would set in. Plus I'm sure that mathematics/analytics plays a big role in some of the development. Just a thought (as in....I knid of wish I studied computer technology instead of business/accounting! lol). Good luck whatever you decide!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think that going the computer route may be good too. Technology is constantly changing so I doubt boredom would set in. Plus I'm sure that mathematics/analytics plays a big role in some of the development. Just a thought (as in....I knid of wish I studied computer technology instead of business/accounting! lol). Good luck whatever you decide!

Hahahahaaha. I guess we're all going to be pushing for her to do what we like.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Chloe

Well, what environment are you thinking about? An office setting? An educational setting? A lab setting? An outdoor setting?

(I suppose you could choose a psych/science field and work in an educational setting or research)

whole medical field (university, hospitals etc.) is repulsive for me. too many rules, not enough space for your own way... it's not for me. i guess.
oh, no, i am sure it's not for me.. i dropped out 2x, that's a lot, and i dont know why i am still considering it. probably because if i dont go back in 1 month i lose rights to study it ever again (in my country), so this is *definite* YES/NO...

Chloe

going for informatics, out of the blue, without ever liking it before... that's even too crazy for me.... :blush:

:blush: LOL, i am confused enough hahaha

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
whole medical field (university, hospitals etc.) is repulsive for me. too many rules, not enough space for your own way... it's not for me. i guess.
oh, no, i am sure it's not for me.. i dropped out 2x, that's a lot, and i dont know why i am still considering it. probably because if i dont go back in 1 month i lose rights to study it ever again (in my country), so this is *definite* YES/NO...

what sort of a setting are you looking for, "office" wise? Where do you want to spend your days? (The finality of this makes this difficult.)

Chloe

what sort of a setting are you looking for, "office" wise? Where do you want to spend your days? (The finality of this makes this difficult.)

heh, depends, i dont know... working in small office where you are (partialy or completely) your own boss would be great, or maybe in psychology research... with enough space for your own will

just thinking about it now - i definately dont want to have many bosses. that's the most important xD

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
heh, depends, i dont know... working in small office where you are (partialy or completely) your own boss would be great, or maybe in psychology research... with enough space for your own will

just thinking about it now - i definately dont want to have many bosses. that's the most important xD

This may require some entrepreneurial skills... (or, ability to get in good with the "Bob's" in your chosen workplace...)

R

Riva

You and I are of the same age aren't we? Choosing a career is the hardest thing I've done so far. And it's most probably going to be the hardest decision of my life. It would be harder than selecting whom I should get married to. I myself is not completely satisfied with my career. I'm On the fence Petra.

Chloe

This may require some entrepreneurial skills... (or, ability to get in good with the "Bob's" in your chosen workplace...)

i think i definately have entrepreneurial skills, but how will knowing that help me to choose career ?!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how about computer engineering?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think i definately have entrepreneurial skills, but how will knowing that help me to choose career ?!

Well, you'll either have to start your own *something* or work in a really small place.. it doesn't really help with the major, but it helps knowing what kinds of jobs you'll want. you could technically do a lot of things without a boss

Chloe

my current plan is to ; enroll this year in psychology, and study about computers parallely for money and to see what will happen with that interest.... :/

Chloe

it's interesting that most answers lean twds computers and not psychology :/

half a year ago i was obsessed with helping people, doing something globally... now again it seems boring. it's like i have a seasonal career disorder :smile:
they keep cycling all the time, going to extremes.

it's like my NF nature is on/off, for a few months I am all in "nf lets save the world" stuff, and then i lose interest and am more in "lets earn money" mood.