• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mentor Minute…If You Had Just 5 Minutes What Would You Tell Me?

wolfy

awsm
Do what you like
Be yourself
Work hard
Work hard on yourself
Ignore people
Trust yourself
Build skills

ygolo

My termites win
A lot of good advice, and some stuff that may not work universally has been given here...so I wont feel so bad if my advice falls flat.

For some people, "Be yourself", or "Be natural" falls flat because it is our nature to think about things, and to try to take an optimal action. Sometimes, there isn't sufficient time for that, but there often is. So for people like me, I say:

For important decisions:
1) Have a decision ready. You can keep thinking, and feeling tings out, but have a decision ready, in case you are forced to move. When thinking, always do it in the context of how that would change your decision.
2) Know when you need to take action. This is usually a gut-level feeling. But be on the lookout for people who try to force decisions from you earlier than you'd like.
3) Try to think of the consequences of your actions on several times scales...immediate, short term, medium turn. long term, and forever terms.
4) Try to take into account the needs of all the people affected by the course of action you choose. However, ultimately, your decision is yours, and it is OK to be a little selfish.

For spontaneity, of course, the above advice falls flat. I may not be the best person to give advice for this but:
1) Be playful. Amuse yourself, entertain yourself, make sure you are engaged.
2) Share your playfulness with others.

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
This above all else, be true to yourself. College is not for everyone.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lead by example, not through tyranny.

Be curious and openminded. Knowledge and tolerance leads to understanding, which can save you a lot of head aches and get you out of a lot of sticky situations.

Say this mantra daily:

Errare humanum est.

(Making mistakes makes you human).

As does getting back up and trying again btw...humans are a resilient breed ;)

Oh and one that I still have to learn again daily:

To succeed, you only need to keep trying and learning. Only when you decide to quit, did you actually fail.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if you can't forgive yourself for doing it, don't do it... regrets are hard to live with

never become a slave to any substance, person or idea... slavery is a hard state to break out of

look for the funny in everything... laughter will keep you sane when nothing else can

reach out to people- when you were in thier place you would have appreciated it

realize that if you can forgive others you might just deserve to forgive yourself- they are human just like you are

:)

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
In this society, life can be broken down into two segments:
-Professional - ambitions, career, goals, money, house, car, network, security
-Personal - hobbies, wife, kids, parents, friends, parties, picnics

What you NEED to do is decide for yourself which one is more important. Of course there will be times when one will take more up than the other but your have to define the line which separates you time between the two.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

If someone offers you the choice between the blue pill and the red pill don't take either... they're both the same and they both knock you unconscious.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't be lazy.
Don't waste time.
Have reasons and pursue knowledge - don't drive blindly.
Have a life plan and goals.
Know yourself.
Work on your relationships.
Try at everything you do.
Be careful who your friends are - you might end up just like them.
Try not to be persuaded too much by others - make sure you have good reasons to do and choose what you do.
Constantly test yourself.