• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fired or Quitting, What's Worst?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Like which one is one that you do not want other employeers to know about? Like getting fired is something you have to write on job applications and it can carry a negative stigma because most people are fired for a failure on their part. But quitting can be done for a number of reasons that can easily be understandable. But quitting a job can also seem lazy and has it's own negative stigma in some respects.

So if I dislike a job, should I be rude as I want till I'm fired, or should I just quit?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Quit. Don't leave on a sour note over preferences. That's my immediate reaction.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fired is totally worse.

I've quit so many jobs, especially if it's nothing special, nothing extraordinary to put on your resume, who cares?

However, if it's in your chosen field or area of study, I can see why you'd have more trepidation about quitting.

Still looks better than being fired, though you can collect unemployment for being fired.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quitting is definitely the way to go.

As you yourself say in the OP, there are many valid reasons for a person to quit. Sure, it's up to your future employer to decipher whether he believes your reason for quitting, or whatever, but it's pretty common for people to leave a job even when on excellent terms with their workers - simply because they are wanting to move in a different direction.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't see how there's any debate over what's "best".... Fired is being forced to leave for failure to do your job properly... Quitting may be frowned upon depending on the circumstances, but it's not being given the boot.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
quitting > fired

cause quitting is on your terms, you're the one in power. firing is on theirs.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wll if the general consensus has revealed anything, it is that the route I should go down is an obvious one. Thanks for the advice guys :)

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
There is no stigma to quitting if you have a good reason.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Architectonic
There is no stigma to quitting if you have a good reason.

Indeed :yes:

Although for anyone who reads my blog, they would under stand why I do not like my job. ;)

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Being laid off.

:X

EDIT: is the best^

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it's not even debatable outside of really bizarre circumstances. quitting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>being fired. (not the same as laid off)

rav3n

If you dislike a job that much, become a shining example until you've found another job. Then leave quietly and on friendly terms. Never burn a work-related reference.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been fired, but the company had such a bad rep that it actually looks good I got fired, especially since the company I left before that, welcomed me back with open arms. I wouldn't count on that. It was a hair raising couple of weeks. I was very lucky, I had sent out C.V's and got in contact with peeps weeks before hand. I was planning on leaving anyway. I didn't expect to be fired though. I'm lucky that upon explaining the situation, most potential employers have seen how unreasonable the company was, especially as I was in contact with lawyers getting ready to take them to court over bullying. They fired me the day they found out. (That also could potentially look bad, but as I said the company had a horrendous reputation.)
On the whole though, quitting looks better, as you can dress it up and phrase it so it's about personal growth.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I believe that when a future employer does a verification, they can not ask for the details of your exit. They can ask
What your title was
What your responsibilites involved
What your pay was
How long you worked there
Who your boss was
What deparment you were under
IF YOU ARE REHIREABE <--------- This will tell them if you left on good terms or not.

It's always, ALWAYS better to not burn a bridge. Put in your two weeks, quit appropriately, and you should be fine as long as you don't have a pattern of multiple short length jobs.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Fired is being forced to leave for failure to do your job properly

That's not true. You might be fired because your company decided to cut costs in your line of work, even if your contribution is wholesome.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Like which one is one that you do not want other employeers to know about? Like getting fired is something you have to write on job applications and it can carry a negative stigma because most people are fired for a failure on their part. But quitting can be done for a number of reasons that can easily be understandable. But quitting a job can also seem lazy and has it's own negative stigma in some respects.

So if I dislike a job, should I be rude as I want till I'm fired, or should I just quit?

Get another job. I just fired someone with this type of attitude. Would have stayed forever, never doing anything and being a pain the rear because he hated the line of work but wanted the paycheck.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Getting fired is terrible. Go for the exit interview. Make sure everyone loves you. Humans are resources.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Look for another job, then quit. Don't get fired...that's bad.

fripping

MBTI Type
nerd
laid off is the best. months, years of collecting unemployment and smoking pot. not bad enough to get fired, but bad enough that you'll be among the first to get downsized when it has to be done. not that that's an option all the time, but surf the line when you can.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well I'm in the process of aquiring another job and I'm looking in other places too, so there no need to worry, I'm not going to premptively quit my job before getting another one.

Although apparently I'm not scheduled to work at all next week, and I'm not sure why. Crap.