• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does where you sit in class correlate with your grade?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I like the back because I like being able to see the whole room and see the people putting up their hands to talk. It does make it easier to not pay attention, as well, of course. My GPA is very, very average... I'm not sure what it is but I get a mix of good and bad grades that end up being average overall.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
My GPA is fucking horrendous, probably around 2.3 or so. I'm most likely in the bottom half of my grade. When comes to actual intelligence, though, I'm by far the smartest person both in my grade and possibly the entire school.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Oops, I read the thread as "does class position correlate with your grade", meaning is class position a good indicator of success or something like that.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
To answer the question: I'm in High School so most seats are assigned. When we are free to pick where to sit, I usually go for the closest desk to me at the time of picking. I don't think this has significant correlation with GPA, though.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Back corner, more As than Bs. The back corner is also for those who enjoy coming to class late.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I finished my bachelor's degree with a perfect 4.0 (For those who don't use the American system, that perfect A's). I generally sit in the very back row as far left as possible. In nearly all my courses I was in the far back left corner. I choose to stay in the back because I usually have a laptop, and it seems more polite to sit where your monitor isn't distracting anyone. (That, and admittedly I browse/chat/etc while in class sometimes.) I sit on the left side because I hear best out of my right ear.

I've had to move up to the front row for certain classes because of my hearing impairment. Soft-spoken female professors who don't use a mic are usually a problem for me, so I have to sit in the front row to hear them.

ahr2nd

MBTI Type
INFX
My position in the classroom correlates with how well I can see what's going on; I get as close to the action as possible. I don't like having to wear glasses!

EnaT

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Cute girls sit near the front left when they're late....

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I always sit down somewhere else. Sitting in the same place everytime means routine to me and I hate routine. Besides, routine is unhealthy. I believe having too much routine in your life makes it harder to learn something new and if you can't learn anything, you become more prone to dementia.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In Germany there are no 'rows' per se; and we always have seminars with 15-30 people. In a semicircle arrangement I typically sit in the center because I can see better, have a better overview, and can focus better. I find most people like to sit on the sides. There are some people who always like to sit in the same place and others who migrate. I don't typically migrate unless I'm uncomfortable with the seating arrangement.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always sit down somewhere else. Sitting in the same place everytime means routine to me and I hate routine. Besides, routine is unhealthy. I believe having too much routine in your life makes it harder to learn something new and if you can't learn anything, you become more prone to dementia.

Studies have also found that people who generally study in multiple places (could be a combination of a library, home, coffeehouse, etc) are also generally better at getting info than those who only study in the same spot every single day. :shrug:

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I normally sit up front and I still barely get Cs in my classes; but that's due to my lack of studying and missing class. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, I guess I just don't value college as much as I'm suppose to.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I need to sit in the front to keep me from falling asleep in class. My concern over insulting the professor outweighs my boredom.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
All semester I've sat in the back. So far no good.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I always sit in the middle in the second row. That way, it looks like I'm paying attention when I'm actually not. And the professors talk to me so if something bad happens, they've let things ~slide.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Interesting article.

In a small lecture theatre I sat pretty much dead in the middle. In a large lecture theatre I tended to sit about half way to 2/3 of the way up in the right hand corner - I was usually very attentive but trying to hide at the same time. Pretty much like in the cartoon :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So where did you usually sit in class?

I sat in the back, or the back of the middle, and sometimes a corner if possible. I hate to sit in the front anywhere.....I feel like people are staring at me (paranoia!). I aways prefer to be low-key. I can relax more easily then & pay attention.

Oh yeah....and it's easier to sneak in late that way :blush:

What was your GPA?

4.0+ in HS & 3.8+ in college (high As).

did where you sit in class correlate with classes you did better or worse in?

No, I consistently got good grades.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It usually didn't have any effect for me. Except this one year where we had religion classes taught by some old fella that was half blind. And I sat on the front row at his desk side. And with every test he made he had the answers to the test on his desk so we could just read them right off, changing context a bit to get easy grades. It was also particularly fun because me and my desk mate sometimes turned the time ahead on his pocket watch when he left it on his desk during class by 15 mins and 15 mins before the end of the class claim the bell must be broken again as it's already time. And he'd check his watch, agree and let us off early. xD

I bet he always suspected us, but he never addressed us for it. Oh well, maybe because we had good grades on tests he didn't mind much? xP

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I always sit at the very front at classes that I'm interested in like Biology and Physics. I also therefore tend to get better marks in them.
Classes that are important, but I find it hard to stay focused on like chemistry, sometimes Math when it gets boring (algebra that is), Latvian (hate that class), Literature etc. I just sit at the middle desks. This is where I always sit, when I'm not sure about my capabilities in that particular subject.
Boring classes where I probably know more than the teacher like Economics, English and my Business stream related subjects such as Etiquette or Management I always take the last desks, rarely pay attention, draw, surf on the internet or read, but i still manage to get straight As, so I don't feel like I should bother following anyways.