• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how to crush someone's hopes and dreams in the nicest way possible?

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sounds like you aren't the right person to train him as you don't believe in him/don't have the skills or patience to train him. Send him on to someone else.

I remember working with a dragon lady who was so harsh to our new hires, she would ride them, yell at them when they asked her questions. Im not sure ever why management thought she was a good trainer. It tore me up seeing how ruthless she was, we would go through so many people. I think the standards she held were a little higher then the position itself

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For goodness sake people... I suddenly become a bitch because some skills aren't teachable without considerable effort on the part of the trainee?!? :doh:

I hate how any thread asking for advice on here becomes an attack on the asker!

I'm actually usually the trainer for tough cases that everyone else has given up on because I'm more likely to be the patient one with difficult people!

Jaguar

I hate how any thread asking for advice on here becomes an attack on the asker!

Why do you think they come here? It gives certain types of people an opportunity to say what they would never have the guts to say, IRL.
You should know that by now. Like it or not, you're going to have to deal with some jerks.

T

ThatGirl

Hey now, I actually speak exactly the same IRL......That's kind of the problem. :doh:

To Whatever, I thought you made it clearly understood, he simply did not have the ability to work out in the long run. What is the saying? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You can give someone an opportunity, but you cant force them to excel.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To Whatever, I thought you made it clearly understood, he simply did not have the ability to work out in the long run. What is the saying? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You can give someone an opportunity, but you cant force them to excel.

That and the topic name kind of reads as "Hey, I got this guy I need to let go, what is the best way to let him go as kindly as possible?".

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
you dont bother crushing someones hopes and dreams. you train them up the best you can, with holding any negative comment or broadcast or public service announcements. weather they stay or not should be determined by their work itself and how well they perform, only concern ever should be that you trained them to the best of your abilities. this is an old post.

mentioned similar message with same effect to dragon lady before escalating to supervisor, on getting some new trainers

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Mod Jennifer? :huh: Why would you pick someone as easy-going as Jennifer for your example. Did you just pull a name out of thin air, or what?

Ok, perhaps that wasn't a good example. There were many similarities in personality with the extreme exception of tolerance, or lack of it. Perhaps I mentioned it because she gave an easy-going vibe, but she turned her tracks totally. Well, there was a great surprise. Perhaps I could I have said that better without associating her with someone good. In any case, seemingly open-minded, intelligent people make me open up, as well, which is not always a good thing. Sigh.

Anyways, the lessons from the said working environment are mostly about dealings with less-communicative people. I just had to learn it that I can only deal with neurotypal people as opposed to autistic. Also, I believe that having to deal with pathologically uncommunicative can be very detrimental to a normal person's health. I'm talking about the guy I had to teach.

rav3n

If it's within your job function to hire and fire, you have a duty to tell him that it's not going to work out and let him go sooner, rather than later, preferably within his probationary period so your company doesn't take a civil action hit. If it's not your responsibility, you perform your training functions documenting the days you trained for specific functions in a continuous journal (ass covering measure) and let him make or break based on hard sales figures instead of guesses.