• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

URGENT! I need your help!

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Ok guys, I need help, right now. I completely failed all my modules last semester, and now I have until Friday (2 days time) to figure out what I'm going to do. I'm currently in my 2nd year of a 3 year BA (joint major in English and Music).

Option 1: Resit all exams in the summer. Not really a plausible option as I have neither the money nor the time to prepare for 12 classes by May.

Option 2: Tack an extra semester onto the end of my degree. I graduate a year later than expected and have to pay half tuition fees for that repeated semester.

Option 3: Drop out of college. I'm not really very interested in my course, but I haven't a clue what else I might do if I were to do this.

So, what do you think? I'm considering option 3, but it is terrifying me at the moment because I haven't any idea at all what I would do if I were to choose it. Because of the Irish university system, I wouldn't be able to re-enter college on a new course until September 2012 because I missed the Feb 1st CAO closing date. Besides, I don't even know what other course I would even be interested in. It's also unlikely that I'd be able to secure some kind of employment in the mean time because Ireland's really in the gutters at the minute. Option 3 is pretty bleak :shock:

How do I decide what the flying hell I'm gonna do with my life? I never ever get stressed but this makes me want to rip my brain out of my skull :steam:. HELP

P

Phantonym

Yeah, I was going to suggest getting a job. I'd take option 2, but it's pretty obvious that you're not interested in your course if you failed all of the stuff, so you'd be just wasting your time and money with that. Maybe look into some international volunteering opportunities where at least basic living would be covered? Do some good and figure out what you want to do when you grow up. Good luck. :)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
If there was any chance of getting some half decent job I'd probably do that for a few years but there really isn't right now, and won't be for the next 1-3 years probably. Job creation is slooooooooooooow.

As for international volunteering: it's an interesting idea, but what kind of opportunities are available? It doesn't immediately strike me as a viable option, but maybe I'm missing something :thinking: . I'll have a look into it though, thank you.

Keep 'em coming

T

ThatGirl

:O

Option two. Don't be stupid. You don't have that long to go. Just finish it, you will be happy you just got it done later. Consider the extra semester the price you paid for your little vacation. You will still be happier in the long run considering the extra costs.

Just focus on getting through the next semester. Just one more! Don't think too much about it just do it.

rav3n

Don't know anything about the Irish education system so this might be completely off. Why not try to get a job, any job for income and time off sake and resit some of the exams for pertinent courses once you've decided what you'd prefer to major in, in the next few months? This way you can still have some of the credits under your belt for when or if you go back in 2012.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
@ThatGirl: It'd be 4 more semesters, not one. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I vowed to do work hard this semester but it's already week 4 (of 12) and I'm slipping behind as it is.

@Metaphor: Credits are non-transferrable from college to college. If I was to transfer course within my own university I'd only keep my elective credits (15) as far as I know, if even that much. If I drop out and re-enter through the CAO I won't even have that.

T

ThatGirl

Focus on getting through 8 more weeks then you can take a break. Just one more semester, and you are half way done. One more semester, and there is only one left. Then one more and completely finished.

Its only 12 weeks at a time, you need to be focused.

*Eh, I gave the same advise to another forum member, who didn't take it, and later said he wish he had, as he was going back again to finish.

Seriously, just get the degree. It is only a bachelors right? So it isn't going to lock you into any specialized profession yet.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Ah, I get your point now. Ack. It just seems like I'm already lagging behind.

Yeah, it's only a BA, but it's a lot of work to get decent grades in and the only career I could really get out of it is teaching (the mere thought of which makes my toes curl). It's hard to motivate myself when it seems so pointless.

You're right though, I should just suck it up and start saving now for the extra semester. I just wish I could make myself do stuff. Why amn't I a doer? *swears violently* Gah.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What made you choose that particular career and what made you lose interest in it?

T

ThatGirl

Here is my strategy for getting through every semester when I am already burnt out, worn down, and at my wits end.

I walk in the first day setting a standard for academic perfection, being the best, most dedicated student. Then I start to organize a study group with fun like minded, and slightly competitive individuals. We make plans to study on the weekends and help each other out through our assignments. Compete each other for best scores on tests, and have a lot of fun, making jokes out of learning materials, or during labs.

Half way through the semester by the time I start losing steam it doesn't matter. They are the ones asking me what time we will be meeting that week to study, going over assignments, to come up with fun new ways to learn the material. So they end up keeping me on task. It really helps propel you along. I kind of started it, so I have to be there and focused to keep it up, or I am not only letting myself down, but the other students.

I'm saying this because it sounds like motivation is a factor here. Just come up with a way to make it fun.

Can you tell I am also trying to gear myself up for the coming semester which starts next week. :D

Don't over think it. I know a bunch of people who just get jobs because they have a BA and end up working in an unrelated field. The BA is the old AA. It is almost necessary to find a decent job. It is not the type of degree that seems to matter, its the fact you have one. You can stop and decide the future course of your life, once this is finished, or even while you are finishing. Just don't stop, or you will set yourself back, which sounds like exactly what you want to avoid.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
@Red Herring: I was good at Music and English at 2nd level, and since I hadn't a clue what I wanted to do 2 years ago, I chose to continue to study them at 3rd level. However, it seems the more I study (or rather, HAVE to study) something, the less fun and interesting it becomes. It's like a chore now.

@thatGirl: Thanks for the motivation tips! Alas they won't work this semester as we are a 3rd through now and I know nobody in any of my classes :tongue:. If I go with option 2 though I'll certainly try this next semester.