• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have you ever walked out in the middle of a job interview?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever walked out in the middle of a job interview? Or seriously considered doing so? Maybe it became obvious in the interview that you would not like working at the place. Maybe you knew that you were answering the interview questions poorly. Maybe you got bad vibes from the hiring committee.

I had an interview yesterday and thought about saying that I'm sorry, I'm not as qualified for this job as I thought I was and calling it done. I had an interview where I was asked several questions on things I lack experience in. The job description didn't mention anything about these things. I still felt embarrased and wanted to hide.

I stuck the interview out though because I didn't want to be seen as a quitter. Maybe the organization will have a more suitable job for me in the future. So it's important to have a positive attitude if I ever want to be considered for future positions.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I walked in and was eventually greeted by the interviewer. He said I'd have to wait while he finished up the another interview. After he walked away I took off. Something about his personality and disregard for my time made me jet.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Not a job interview, but I applied to a school last spring and got pretty far with it (there are all kinds of tasks you need to go through for a week) and there was this committee that asked all kinds of things. One of them was somehow very angry all the time, almost like she didn't want me even applying. I didn't walk. But I didn't get chosen either.

Now, I have to choose this spring... will I try to get in again... it's not the fact that one of them was annoying, but that she is actually the boss of the division of the school I am trying to apply to, and I've seen that kind of attitude ruin a good school before... I don't know if I want to study with her... And as the school takes in only a couple of students each year, the chances are I would have to see her pretty much individually. I am quite sick of the thought.

Pand0ra

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I've only ever had 2 job interviews, and those were for jobs I knew I already had. The thought of a 'real' interview is terrifying. I'd walk out mentally before it'd even begun... though I wouldn't actually walk out; I'd be frozen to the chair through fear.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
yes. i'll just wrap it up quickly. i turn down interviews too.
this is usually when they send a non decision maker to talk to me.

i want to talk to the person in charge. over drinks. like how adults do.
i still never interview my staff at the office. always outside. equal playing field.
let's see what they can do.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't imagine ever walking out physically, although I'll be more casual/honest about the questions if I think I won't get the job (one time I got the job anyway, surprisingly).

That's just....rude. I mean, unless the interviewer was rude first, I guess. Besides, you never know what will happen. Maybe if they like you and you don't want the job, they'll recommend you to their friend with an awesome job. Who knows. Saving 10 minutes of my time isn't worth being rude in this situation, for me.

gromit

likes this
I can't imagine ever walking out physically, although I'll be more casual/honest about the questions if I think I won't get the job (one time I got the job anyway, surprisingly).

That's just....rude. I mean, unless the interviewer was rude first, I guess. Besides, you never know what will happen. Maybe if they like you and you don't want the job, they'll recommend you to their friend with an awesome job. Who knows. Saving 10 minutes of my time isn't worth being rude in this situation, for me.

Yeah. Well said.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
One time I wished that I did, the boss acted like a jerk, seemed surprised that I came early and in general asked me questions in which I knew he definately thought I was underqualified. Which I could see aswell. When they went out to discuss this I should have taken my things and left. I would have said no, if they had given me the job anyways.

Another time I could see that I was nothing like one of the interviewers expected, she was so distant all through the interview. I dont think she even asked me anything. I knew that I wouldnt get the job, eventhough the man really liked me.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always stay. And i was as distant as a man can be without much sleep and no breakfast. I had worked late the night before with large quantities of white spirit. I got respect for that stuff now.

I managed to say hello twice to one of the interviewers. first in the hallway and then when we sat down. lol.
And i was unable to answer intelligently at about everything they asked.

Later i for some fucked up reason i decided to go inn for a new interview just to check if my CV was that bad. It was a mechanic job at night, real crap job. They even reconised me lol.

They gave me the job and i stated that i had gotten a better job. Man... i could basically see hes long face trough the phone.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you ever walked out in the middle of a job interview? Or seriously considered doing so? Maybe it became obvious in the interview that you would not like working at the place. Maybe you knew that you were answering the interview questions poorly. Maybe you got bad vibes from the hiring committee.

I had an interview yesterday and thought about saying that I'm sorry, I'm not as qualified for this job as I thought I was and calling it done. I had an interview where I was asked several questions on things I lack experience in. The job description didn't mention anything about these things. I still felt embarrased and wanted to hide.

I stuck the interview out though because I didn't want to be seen as a quitter. Maybe the organization will have a more suitable job for me in the future. So it's important to have a positive attitude if I ever want to be considered for future positions.

I think that you can choose to do whatever you want, you just have to be willing to accept the consequences for it.

If you feel that you need to leave an interview in order to maintain your integrity, then go for it. But there could be some negative ramficiations from that.

Typically, in the majority of cases, I would flex and deal with the interview, simply because word is shared and it could simply be viewed as a sign of non-commital and irresponsibility that could carry over to job performance, which could impact future hiring potential.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
When I was 23 I was at a group job interview for marketing and the dude next to me left out of anxiety, I wanted to but he already did so I stayed. I didn't get the job, the 20 year old manager said gee I'm getting old, pfft little did he know.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
for me it was a small company that knew my former employer and therefore took me to the interview. I knew the basics but they needed someone more advanced. But when I saw how the company and the office was planned and the vibe I got from the other people working there and especially how they looked at the boss I knew this was not for me.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Typically, in the majority of cases, I would flex and deal with the interview, simply because word is shared and it could simply be viewed as a sign of non-commital and irresponsibility that could carry over to job performance, which could impact future hiring potential.
That's a good point, too.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
yes. i'll just wrap it up quickly. i turn down interviews too.
this is usually when they send a non decision maker to talk to me.

i want to talk to the person in charge. over drinks. like how adults do.
i still never interview my staff at the office. always outside. equal playing field.
let's see what they can do.

For me its important to get a feel for how it is to work for them, how the office looks, the general vibe of the employees and so on. So if I got the job on an interview conducted outside of the office, I would ask be able to visit the office before I would say yes or no.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One time I wished that I did, the boss acted like a jerk

I haven't had that many job interviews come to think of it unless I really wanted the job and in that case, I'd never walk out. I've conducted hundreds of them though. Nobody ever walked out. I do think it is justified though if the interviewer is abusive towards you, which does happen on occasion. It's an extreme step though - to walk out. You are sending a message that this interview was such a horrible experience. The interviewer was part of creating that horrible experience. So, it's not just about you. The interviewer could feel a bit humiliated if you were to do that.

Also, re the OP, who ever said job descriptions capture all of the responsibilities somebody has on a job or the skills needed? They just give you a general idea.

I think that you can choose to do whatever you want, you just have to be willing to accept the consequences for it.

If you feel that you need to leave an interview in order to maintain your integrity, then go for it. But there could be some negative ramficiations from that.

That's it exactly.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's all about vibes isn't it?i think my body without any consent coming from me starts throwing out f@ck off vibes to the interviewer if i don't like them or the place...which really sucks because i can't always be as picky as i'd like...but i suck at faking it.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I can't imagine walking out of a job interview, no matter how horrible it's going.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I don't think I've had that many job interviews come to think of it unless I really wanted the job and in that case, I'd never walk out. I've conducted hundreds of them though. Nobody ever walked out. I do think it is justified though if the interviewer is abusive towards you, which does happen on occasion. It's an extreme step though - to walk out. You are sending a message that this interview was such a horrible experience. The interviewer was part of creating that horrible experience. So, it's not just about you. The interviewer could feel a bit humiliated if you were to do that.

Also, re the OP, who ever said job descriptions capture all of the responsibilities somebody has on a job or the skills needed? They just give you a general idea.

That's it exactly.

Sure and its only been this one time, Ive been to my share of job interviews. I dont think any of the parties have the right to humiliate the others, but when you get the feeling this is not the place for you at the interview you might aswell say it. The situation I tried to portrait was that of someone that treated the applicants poorly. If they had shown even a grain of dignity towards me they would have ended the interview and discussed my skills in private and then call me ½ hour later with a no. Not standing outside the door where I could see them discussing it and hear parts of what they where discussing.