• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you be willing to work for an organisation that..

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Would you be willing to work for an organisation that does not allow you to publish a blog (or other publications for that matter), under your own name? For fear that it may hurt the organisation in some way.

edit, additional question:
What about *merely* forbidding all discussion about ones line of work?

This is purely hypothetical I might add.. I might also add that not all countries have such civil right protections and even then there may be exceptions

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Would you be willing to work for an organisation that does not allow you to publish a blog (or other publications for that matter), under your own name? For fear that it may hurt the organisation in some way.

This is purely hypothetical I might add..

Most certainly not!! This would seem to be a breach of civil rights - depending on the country in which you live, that is. You may also have recourse via a union???

Nameless Hero

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
If I were an employer, I would never allow my employees to post or distribute work related information. If we have a product in development, it is obvious that you may not release information about it. You are not a spokesperson, (unless you were hired to be a spokesperson.) You are expected to maintain confidentiality.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I keep a professional blog and I do mention my workplace in it but I never bad mouth it in any form. Most of what I blog about is related to ideas related to the profession, not to the workplace. My workplace encourages people to keep blogs.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
If I were an employer, I would never allow my employees to post or distribute work related information. If we have a product in development, it is obvious that you may not release information about it. You are not a spokesperson, (unless you were hired to be a spokesperson.) You are expected to maintain confidentiality.

These issues could be covered by a confidentiality agreement but to forbid someone to publish a blog in their own name, if it were published in their own private time, and from their own equipment and premises, is almost certainly a breach of civil rights.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It wouldn't personally affect me, since I have no desire to have a personal blog under my own name, but it does disturb me that they would reach that far into an employee's private life. So I would definitely do some thinking about that before accepting the job.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I remember reading about the policy of the press (in my country) about the use of facebook. The boss said to the journalists that they should make friends in FB with certain people to get inside information, but also said that the journalists should write absolutely nothing in the FB about the magazine they are working for. I find this quite hypocritical.

EDIT: And no, I wouldn't want to work in such an organization, and would probably make noise about this, if that didn't help I'd probably had to quit because by then they would hate me.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am working for the government and you by signing the work contract agree on keeping some secrets. Often those involve for example bidders for the auction of free space in town. The commune keeps the bids a secret to make a bigger turnover.

Well I have no problem with this, tho I am not really the best at keeping a secret. Guess one day or another I'll get fired anyways cause I spoiiled a secret :D

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

edit, additional question:
What about *merely* forbidding all discussion about ones line of work?

This is purely hypothetical I might add.. I might also add that not all countries have such civil right protections and even then there may be exceptions

To the first question, I would consider it, but that doesn't mean that I would accept it. If I need to be able to have a blog with my true name I would look for another organization for sure, but for now the most important part of my blog is its anonymity.

To the second question, I would barely even consider it, and surely not accept that nonsense. I'd rather scrape by on living than be prohibited to tell what I do for over half of my waking life.

rav3n

This question brings to mind so many more what ifs! Don't even know where to begin with this one since there are so many analogies of same, already happening today.

First instinct, no. The next instincts correlate to what ifs. Final instinct, hell if I know! :laugh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No. I would end up purposefully breaking the agreement out of spite (even if I don't have a blog, and I don't plan to have one).