• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Critique of Community College

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Still not sold on the whole college experience. I went, but most of the general studies and business crap went out the door as soon as the class ended, and has not reappeared now 10 years removed from university. My major classes are the only things that continue to stick. I mean, the socializing was cool, but it's really overblown. I think college sets up some for success; some for failure. It's not for everyone; it's a shame society's set up where most jobs require it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I agree with what most have said already; most of your criticisms of community college apply equally to universities. The only thing I've seen or heard of that is substantially different (and better) is if you find one of those small, private liberal arts colleges that bases their curriculum on small-classroom discussion (and I mean bases, not the cheap substitute that you get when you're required to attend discussions as a supplement to large lecture courses.) The problem is that those usually cost a lot more and they won't fulfill your needs if you want to study something business-related.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
I went to community college instead of high school (for the second half, as it is). What distinctly seemed to separate where I went then and the university I attend now is that the focus was more on learning than research. The classes were more interactive, and while they were at a slightly lower level intellectually speaking I got more out of them because of the atmosphere they fostered. I also liked that most of my classes were a mixture of older and younger adults - a more varied pool of perspectives to draw from when discussions came up.

This was with me being a lover of learning and talking more to my professors than other students, however. I put quite a bit of myself into it.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I loved community college. It was cheap and I got a degree out of it. I went to a very small one so the classes were small and intimate. I enjoyed the courses, but I'm an eager student in general.

Now I'm back in cc to get my pre reqs for nursing school. Glad to be back.

But I do think that if you have a particular area of study you wish to really excel in, you have to go beyond cc. It's merely a springboard.

sculpting

I teach at a community college, but I teach freshman-level classes, so I can't speak to the rest of it. I personally feel that at my school, we coddle the students too much--teachers are expected by administration to meet the students more than halfway. I feel like they're kind of wanting us to be high school teachers, and we, the teachers, would much rather treat them like adults. Coddling students fosters a sense of entitlement and irresponsibility, from my experience. It's frustrating.

I did my first two years at a junior college and this seems to be very true. The coursework uses the same texts and material, but the rigor and expectations around learning differ a great deal. I didnt have to study at all in the junior college, so my first semester at uni I made two Cs. After my biochem prof telling me I should major in business, I got really pissed off and learned to study.

I think junior colleges are actually really awesome for coursework outside of one's major however but if you plan to major in a subject it would be best to take entry level course at the uni as they will likely be much more challenging. Junior colleges are also great if you dont know what you want to major in yet but want to get some coursework out of the way.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I think its on par with University. The classes are dumbed down for the divorced middleaged housewife. But you can get more time with teachers. You aren't being taught by someone who is struggling to cram a full teaching load as well as their own grad work. Its what you make of it.

Greta

MBTI Type
INTe
I think its on par with University. The classes are dumbed down for the divorced middleaged housewife. But you can get more time with teachers..

or dumbed down for the newly- (or not so newly-) unemployed middle-aged failure of a man?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would say there are pros and cons of community college. The pros are that it can be much cheaper than a traditional college and can offer great pre/professional training. The cons are that the standards for traditional education (english, biology, etc.) are generally not as high or stringent.

Community college is really a mixed bag, I think you really get out of it what you put in and its best use is for working adults going into second or third careers (pre/professional training), people taking classes for recreation, and for trad college aged students who lack the funds or are otherwise not ready for traditional college.

:yes: my mom has taken continuing education classes at a local community college for years, and she really loves it. she's also taken a few spanish and ASL classes recently. it's great because they have classes at night and on weekends so that she could easily fit it into her schedule, and their classes are tailored to what she needs - not an all-encompassing education, but information on a specific topic.

however, i never considered community college as an immediate avenue for myself. i knew coming out of high school that i wanted to attend a 4-year college or university, preferably liberal arts. i wanted the whole "college experience", dorms, meal plan, greek life and all.

Though I think having fun at college is the best thing you can do, especially if your the type of person that stresses and study like crazy.

agreed. have fun and try to open yourself to new things. make the most of every service available to you, especially the free ones, like the gym, pool, library, computer labs, printers, essentially free 1-credit courses, etc.

I agree with what most have said already; most of your criticisms of community college apply equally to universities. The only thing I've seen or heard of that is substantially different (and better) is if you find one of those small, private liberal arts colleges that bases their curriculum on small-classroom discussion (and I mean bases, not the cheap substitute that you get when you're required to attend discussions as a supplement to large lecture courses.) The problem is that those usually cost a lot more and they won't fulfill your needs if you want to study something business-related.

yes. i was lucky to be able to go to a small public liberal arts college (average class size under 20), which cost as much over 4 years as some of my friends have paid for a single year. we had a very complex set of non-major requirements designed to make us well-rounded students. in my opinion, my whole college experience was quite wonderful. essentially we went from freshman discussion classes to fulfilling our liberal arts requirements in fairly small (20-25 people) classes, then into early major classes (the largest class sizes, usually around 30 but peaked at 90 for intro sciences), then by advanced major classes you likely had several classes with just 8 or 9 people in them. many other programs, minors, study abroad, honors, and plenty of student organizations were strongly promoted as well. my life at college was very full of doing and very full of thinking, and i think that's what made it such a good experience. i was being challenged but also felt very supported, and i was very involved in the campus life. school was a very cohesive thing for me - a sort of safe h(e)aven - and i miss it very much. i'm in the process of applying for more school again!

but then, i just kind of love school in general, so i'm biased. :blushing:

the students who did not appreciate my school as much as i did were those who knew EXACTLY what they wanted to do and who did not want to study anything else - they got sick of the varied requirements - and those who really would have preferred to be more anonymous in class! admittedly, sometimes i really wished i could have slept in the back more often, lol.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
-It's major program is ridiculous; I majored in philosophy; I took a grand total of five actual philosophy courses (24 classes total).

That usually happens during the first two years of college.

-It was required of me to take math, science, writing, and other classes. Why though so many? I'm majoring in philosophy there was no reason I needed to take courses in biology, geology, etc.

Everyone has to take general courses--university students included.

-The courses are far too short and all of them are treated like intro level courses.

Well, since it's the first two years of college they would be intro courses...:shock:

-Most textbooks are often those expensive 500 pg. intro level texts, that are written in the most simplistic manner possible yet somehow take hourse to read through. (except for the philosophy books, they were dirt cheap and took minutes to read).

They do the same in universities. I do not see where you're going with this.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
^ That's what they say about CCPhiladelphia.

My school wouldn't take CCP classes because the distance between campus and CCP was too short. Since I lived in the city they wanted me to take all classes there. And I'm still paying.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Oh, God I cannot wait to get in on this.

I don't know how it is for all of you guys, but my college experience was/is a JOKE!
I pay just over $5,000 a year so ($15000ish in total) for the luxury of having professors that don't show up to class, don't know their subject (my favourite, oh the stories I could tell!), Computers that don't work, Equipment that is broken, IT departments that are so swamped you're stuck with a loner machine for a whole semester, Deans that
don't keep their contract promises - the list goes on.

I honestly am walking out into the career world feeling like I don't have the skills ready to handle the 'real world'. I had an html/webdesign class. The teacher got FIRED because he didn't teach us html, css, dreamweaver or flash. Then they just consolidated the marks they did have from me to magically come up with a final. How does that help me when applying for a job? Basically, I'm just walking away with an expensive piece of paper and a huge pile of debt. I have nothing good to say about college whatsoever.

Sunny Ghost

Hmm... I'm actually about to go from a University to a community college.

Reason being... I'm just too poor to continue paying University tuition costs and lost my financial aid my last semester there.

I agree, that if you really want to study philosophy, continue your study at a University. I took quite a few, and loved each and every one. And trust me, you won't be coddled. Not even in intro. You'll also meet many very intelligent and like-minded people, I'm sure. I absolutely loved my philosophy teachers as well. I was just so impressed by them.

As for taking a variety of courses in multiple subjects: you have to do this in a University as well... and in fact much more in the world of core classes-2 years worth. At times, this irritated the heck out of me. I just wanted to get to the subject I wanted to get to. However, over time, I realized how much it broadened my scope and came to enjoy many of these core classes that I might otherwise had not considered. Philosophy, for example, as I was an art major and never considered it at all. Anthropology was another, and I actually decided to change my major after my first anthro class.

I say, be glad you paid much less money to knock out many of your core classes. Especially the ones you really dread, like science and math. If you decide to progress your education, look into some interesting core classes that might satisfy you and still count towards a degree. And definitely explore higher level philosophy courses. My 4000 level Existential philosophy course turned out to be out of my league and I wound up having to drop it before the semester was over. It was Kierkgaard. I couldn't comprehend a word of it. Although, don't get me wrong, I still got a lot out of the other stuff we learned in class.

According to you guys, I think the pro's of community college for me will be:
-cheaper cost.
-more leeway to learn at my pace and in my way.
-more flexibility.
-less classroom anxiety.

I've gotten a good bit of great education under my belt, and I wouldn't trade that for the world. It's not that I don't want to be challenged, but rather that I know how to challenge myself. So, I think I can definitely get a lot out of the community college experience.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, God I cannot wait to get in on this.

I don't know how it is for all of you guys, but my college experience was/is a JOKE!
I pay just over $5,000 a year so ($15000ish in total) for the luxury of having professors that don't show up to class, don't know their subject (my favourite, oh the stories I could tell!), Computers that don't work, Equipment that is broken, IT departments that are so swamped you're stuck with a loner machine for a whole semester, Deans that
don't keep their contract promises - the list goes on.

I honestly am walking out into the career world feeling like I don't have the skills ready to handle the 'real world'. I had an html/webdesign class. The teacher got FIRED because he didn't teach us html, css, dreamweaver or flash. Then they just consolidated the marks they did have from me to magically come up with a final. How does that help me when applying for a job? Basically, I'm just walking away with an expensive piece of paper and a huge pile of debt. I have nothing good to say about college whatsoever.

Maybe that is why you should of researched the college and the professors that teach the courses you need beforehand.

Have an easy professor that teaches nothing/can't teach? Look for another professor (or if you have a community college/uni college working with each other, go to the other one.)
Look around the campus to make sure that the area is running to a minimum, a good standard, before deciding it'll be your college.
Look for the programs that the college offers. (e.g a working gym, working labs, somewhat up to date computers, study areas, etc.)

etc.