• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Colleges

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am going to break down the factors, feelings, and colleges I want to go to, as well as various stats about me. I guess I am looking for advice.

The colleges I am applying for are:
Boston University
Boston College
North Carolina State University
UNC Chapel Hill
and yes, Harvard (and maybe Brown or Cornell)

There are several questions/facts that pop into my mind when I think about what my probability of being accepted is:

I am graduating a year early. Is this going to help, hurt, or do nothing for me?

I wrote a great essay. How much higher does this set me above other applicants?

I am curious, creative, intelligent, and driven, and I show that through my writing. I know colleges care about GPA, but they also stress those factors. I am actually very, very curious, and I don't want to go to a good college just for prestige.

I took difficult classes, and have taken two extra summer courses for the last two years. I did much better in my second set, though. The more work I have in a class, the better I do. I will get a B in an easy class, but an A in a hard one.

I have shown improvement.

My GPA is a little over a 3.1 U/W and a 3.7/8 W.

I play the violin, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, and flute, participate in an orchestra on the violin and clarinet, and have done three regional band clinics. I also practice a lot. I think my passion for music is clearly shown. I also have two years of mock trial, started Jazz band this year, and will be doing All-District (and maybe All State).

My SAT scores add up to a 1750 (partly because of my dilemma in math, and not being able to take good courses for it, and partly because I sat there, thinking about my essay, rather than writing it. Hopefully I do much better on the ACT tomorrow).

I volunteer at my orchestra, and I also volunteered at UNCCH for 3 weeks (60 hours) during my summer. Nothing like saving children in Peru, though.

I know I am highly intelligent, and I will do very well in a harder school, but honestly, I have no idea who would accept me, and who wouldn't, or what their values are. I feel like if I felt I had more competition in school, and more challenging courses, my grades would be higher.

I am from The Middle of Nowhere, The Middle of Nowhere, so that helps a little.

I also can't think of any more ways to increase my chances.

Yeah, this kind of turned into a vent thread. I am not the average student in anyway, so I have a hard time comparing myself to other accepted applicants.

Stress! It beats down upon me! I seem to be the only one in my school working so hard to get into a good college. I wish it could be enough that I am smart, curious, passionate, and dedicated. What colleges say they want, right?

Comments are appreciated from current applicants or veterans.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am graduating a year early. Is this going to help, hurt, or do nothing for me?

I've heard of people who graduated a year early, and for some it actually hurt their chances of getting in to certain schools. Others it didn't do much. I've never heard of it benefiting if you do so though.

I wrote a great essay. How much higher does this set me above other applicants?

Schools look at applicants differently, but they usually go by a certain order, which varies. Taken with a grain of salt, this is usually the order in which they weed out applicants.

GPA and SAT/ACT score (Where you stand in a class also matters to an extent. My friend was valedictorian at a sub-par school, and Harvard sent her a free application)
Extracurriculars
Volunteer work or Job Experience
An Essay that shows what you've learned from the above three requirements.

So if you don't have the stuff above, it's not going to matter, but if you get to step four, then it can be a deciding factor between you and the other student who wrote the essay in only half an hour.

My GPA is a little over a 3.1 U/W and a 3.7/8 W.

If you really want to get into places like Harvard, work on this.

I've seen people get into Ivy League schools. The people that were rejected did above and beyond, but the people I knew that got accepted did above, beyond, and created volunteer organizations or played an influential part in their community. You could get a scholarship for music, or at the least be accepted.

Other than that, I think you have a decent chance of getting into any of the above schools...JUST APPLY EARLY!!!! DON'T BE LIKE ME AND APPLY IN MAY! :doh:
I heard Boston College was the shizz. ;) Good luck! :hug:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my high school valedictorian who had a ridiculous weighted gpa, like 4.3 or something, didn't get into harvard, yale, or princeton. not trying to bring you down, it just seems like a reach.

graduating early seems like it might hurt a little, a lot of the people i know loaded up on AP classes senior year to raise their gpa. so you aren't getting the opportunity to do that.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tawanda: Yeah, Harvard is my absolute reach school. I don't expect to get in at all. How do music scholarships work, for getting into these schools? Because I am exceptionally skilled at music!

I am applying this week for my colleges. I feel like it is kind of late for me to be applying though, but I have heard applying Early Action/Decision can hurt you anyway.

Chana: Absolutely it is a reach for me to apply to these schools, but I don't fear rejection.

I know that a lot of people load up on AP courses and what not, and I am not getting that, but as far as I was aware, they looked more at the vigor and grades of the courses already taken. And the courses I have taken are more difficult than a lot of AP courses for the age of people taking them compared to the age I was when I took the courses I did.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NSHSS a scam? (National High School Scholars Society)

Yeah, I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread.

Anyway, I read somewhere it was, and wasn't really sure about what to do about it. So if anyone knows...well, that is great!

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I don't know to be honest. Your GPA isn't that great. Maybe try the UCs--they're great schools and I'm sure you'll be accepted at SOME of them. Even students with 3.8 GPAs, two years of community college get rejected at schools like SDSU! It all depends on a number of factors; like how impacted your major is among other things. A friend of mine had a 3.9GPA and got accepted at UCB after two years of community college.

Although, it's easier to get accepted to an UC if you're a California resident, or even a local. I know that SDSU rejects a lot of applicants if they're not in San Diego county. UCLA, UCB, and UCSD are one of the great schools over here. And UCSB has a gorgeous campus! It sits right on the mothafuckin' beach.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Senza: yep, it is. They do offer it for free, though, if I 'have financial hardship'

Paperoceans: Haha, I am scared of the west coast. I am a total Eastcoastie. I know my GPA isn't great, but I am smart, and did well on the ACT. And I am dedicated! Stupid GPA's. My classes are way harder than everyone else's :dry:

I have considered going to school out there, though...unfortunately, it is a bit too late for me to just apply out there. I find it a little odd that they are more likely to reject if you aren't from the area. I figured you would be more likely to get in- colleges are always preaching diversity, and oh, I have people from all 50 states, blah blah blah

Oh, my GPA has gone up. It will probably be a 3.5 when I graduate. If all goes according to my plan. Right now, it is 3.2 something, I think.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Per college board:

Middle 50% of students' SAT total:

Boston U: 1770 - 2050
Boston C: 1880 - 2150
Brown: 2000 - 2300
Cornell: 1990 - 2280
Harvard: 2100 - 2390
NCSU: 1600 - 1890
UNCCH: 1790 - 2100

Given your lower than ideal GPA, I would say you would probably need to score in the middle 50% to be seriously considered. Although this depends upon your major and your race as well. Are you a music major? Are you a minority? Is your family poor?

Edit:

If you don't get in to one of the better schools, don't sweat it. Just try hard at whatever school you get into, and enjoy your major.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My family is poor. I may major in music, actually. I want to double major. First, I would like to figure out a career in general though. An even harder task.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Write well. Practice writing more. Buy SAT books every year and practice.

Take AP courses and do AP exams if you want to go to Ivy League.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha, it is a little hard for me to practice writing more than I do- I have been writing for the last six years, consistently, for fun.

I have/will have one AP course, three college credit classes, four maths, four englishes, 7 sciences, three social studies, 5/6 electives or something along those lines. I didn't have room for more AP classes. They did it weird at my school. However, I will be taking the APES exam.

It is tempting to take an AP exam I feel I may be well versed in, instead of taking the class.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My family is poor. I may major in music, actually. I want to double major. First, I would like to figure out a career in general though. An even harder task.
If finances are an issue, it may be worth applying to an ivy league school, if you can afford the extra application fees. I never thought I could get into one, but my mother insisted I apply, and in the end it was the most affordable option since they have such large endowments that they can offer substantial financial aid. Both my parents were alums of one of the other schools on your list, and even that didn't get me enough financial aid to be able to afford to attend. (We weren't poor, but my parents never earned enough to be able to save for college after paying the bills. My grades were very good, but I didn't think my outside activities were that outstanding.)

Of course, you have to be accepted to the school to take advantage of financial aid. The ivy leagues take an interest in standardized test scores, but seem more willing to look beyond those to view the applicant as a whole person. Community involvement, and sustained commitment to one or more extracurricular pursuits make a big impression. This can come across in the essays, but also in a personal interview. Harvard tries to interview all applicants, though their network of alumni. If your other candidate schools do not, try to visit the campus and arrange to speak with someone yourself. If someone in the admissions process can put a face to a name, and gain an impression of you in person, that will probably help.

Good luck!

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the input!

I have applied to Boston College, Boston University, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State and Harvard. So, all the ones I had hoped to apply to. I am trying to make an impression of myself, especially to Harvard. I have at Chapel Hill, I think. I think I may get accepted. At least, I hope so.

Actually, initially the only reason I applied to Harvard was because I can go for free if I get in. I just thought it was completely unattainable. But then I realized: I am smart enough for this school, and I think I would do well with a challenge.

I will probably get into BU, but I doubt I will be granted enough financial aid. I also heard Boston College offers great financial aid. And obviously UNCCH and NC State are in state for me, so cheaper.

I guess I certainly have music going for me: jazz band a few years, pep band a few years, band clinics for 4 years, an orchestra for 2, and I play a diverse amount of musical instruments. Sadly, I have not been able to get together a compilation of my playing for a supplemental video.

I am curious to see if this will work, but I want to 'talk my way' into Harvard. Not in a manipulative kind of way (I am sure someone, somewhere, guest or not, is reading this and shaking their head), but I just want to let them know about me, and my intentions and whatnot. It'll be interesting, but I am stubborn persistant and won't give up until the door is slammed shut on my face.

As another thought: I think it would be really funny to have colleges for certain MBTI types haha

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Colleges for ENTPs?

Does anyone know of colleges that would be a good fit for an ENTP, or any sort of creative thinker? I'm trying to look into other colleges, but I don't really know where to begin. It doesn't matter if it is a specific college or not. I still don't even know what I want to go to school for, specifically, but it would be great if there was a good music program in or around the school.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Isn't it a bit late in the year? The colleges you've already applied to should be getting back to you at this point. If you're thinking about applying for 2012, either spring or fall, then you have plenty of time to decide. I would recommend pm'ing the ENTPs on the forum, asking which colleges they went to, and get their input. Perhaps schedule a campus tour over the summer, etc.

xisnotx

Permabanned
umm..
You are putting way too much effort into something that won't even matter in the end.
Does anyone know of colleges that would be a good fit for an ENTP, or any sort of creative thinker?
I have two answers.

1) None. I've known many suspected entps in college. The one thing that they have in common is this...they think college is bs. They're there just to get their degree and get out. College...especially undergrad....has very little to do with creative thinking. It's just a huge game to see who has the ability to work the hardest. Especially if you are an engineering/hard science major....and business. Those are basically istj majors. The intjs get the A's. The istjs get the B's. The entps drop out. The sp's never even start...and the ntps do all of the above....over and over. Grades won't reflect how intelligent you are, they'll reflect how badly you want a good gpa.

Besides, I've never known an np to have stuck with the same major from beginning to end. I've had around 8 majors. I got tired of counting after I change it for the fifth time.

2) One with a high rate of drug use. I imagine there are a bunch of "creative thinking" types at colleges where 80%+ of the student body is a druggie of some sort. (Read..nps who love to get high...and sps who love to get high and party...)

Why not just go to community college...find relevant part time work...get an easy 4.0 GPA...and get a four year degree with little to no debt?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
If you regard undergraduate degrees as merely pieces of paper that help you secure employment, then wouldn't you choose the university that is perceived as more prestigious in your respective field?

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
the old SAT combined was 1600.
now it's 2400: math, verbal is now split into 1. reading and 2. writing + essay (12points)