• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Taking Time Off

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Did you take a year (or more) off from school? Why and what did you do, and what good experiences came of it?

How about taking a year off after school but before getting a "real" job? Anyone with experiences doing that?

Would you recommend taking time off?

Yossarian

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I left school without knowing what I wanted to do. I went straight into a science degree course but realised after three months that it was not for me and there was no point in seeing it out because I would be betraying myself. My family were cool with it. I didn't have a Plan B so I ended up doing nothing for a year. I lived at home, watched tv, read, went for walks, babysat, met up with friends etc etc. I just chilled out for a while and got to know myself.

Eventually, a friend told me about a course that was running in my local college. It sounded interesting so I went along for the interview and spent three years studying animal welfare, veterinary assisance and dog-grooming. I enjoyed it but not half as much as the other people in my class who were passionate about it. I completed it and went on to work in the media!

The year out was vital for me to get some headspace.

Last edited:

Usehername

On a mission
I took time off. I went to Africa and devoted a year to immersion in an environment vastly different than any I'd previously experienced. It developed me in all sorts of ways that I couldn't replicate in my home country, and for that I'm grateful.

I would recommend it to anyone who has the means.

I didn't end up discovering a career plan. What it did do in that vein, however, was remove a lot of the confounding variables that made me feel uncertain about my priorities (e.g. do I just like xyz because of the interpersonal environment or do I actually like the xyz as it stands on its own?). It gave me a whole new playground or framework to test out my interests. I had much more information and therefore felt much more confident about the way in which I was perceiving and ranking my priorities. I wasn't immediately able to nail down specifics, but I was able to say, "this is important to me, period. These are the possibilities out there that let me acknowledge this importance in my daily life."

If I could choose a second adventure and not incur the financial costs, I'd chill out in some relatively low cost of living place in Europe, Asia or South America and learn a second language by immersion in the culture.