• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking of quitting college

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are you on meds?

Trust me they help.

Apart from meds, there are other skills that you can learn to deal with your ADD too. The school should also have special consideration that can be given for your condition, e.g. more time, flexible deadlines, etc. Instead of trying to run away from the existing problem that has such a huge impact on every aspect of your life, why not try to address it?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Seriously get on ADD medication. My friend suffers from ADD and severe depression. She went on Celexa and was able to function better and concentrate enough to get her work down. Her biggest obstacle isn't ADD or depression or alcohol, it's her extremely low self esteem.

What kind of a simple little job do you have in mind? I don't know about Europe but everyone I spoken to here in America regrets not going to school. They live pay check to pay check and work long hours. Esp. the immigrants here work really long hours with little money. Imagine working at a grocery store when you're pass thirty. It's terrible. I can assure you.

In my opinion, you should get medical and therapeutic help and stay in school, no matter what. The outside world, the working force is much cruel-er than school. I know this girl who never went to college and held the same job at a medical office since high school. Sure, it's okay now but what happens when the economy changes and she can't find another administrative job because she never got a degree? She will be competing against people who have work experience and a high academic education.

College is better for your imagination and creativity than the work force. Don't give up so soon. You haven't even tried yet.

Actually, maybe if you take a few months off and see how tough it is outside, you will want to go back to school and be much more motivated and focused. I never wanted to leave school but I did for reasons I can't control and trust me, working at a job that's beneath you, dealing with people all day doing mediocre crap, being paid 8 dollars an hour - it's fucking terrible. My only hope is that no matter what, I am going back to school and getting a degree, but not just that, learning and stretching my mind, my intelligence, my creativity. It's a blessing.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Time for some research (curiosity-imagination) on your part? Google "famous people with add". Here's one link: http://borntoexplore.org/famous.htm

Now that you feel positive about who you are :) find out what kinds of careers you're suited for. Your counselor can steer you in the right direction if you'd like assistance.

Then (just my opinion) pick one and get a degree, even if your grades end up being medium-low. Degrees are about making sure you can have that simple life and actually eat, without working three jobs.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
How do you think you can use your imagination to make you a happy, creative person?
:hug:

And I know my imagination can't make me a productive member of this society. It will keep me from being productive. But I can't turn it off.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unfortunately, as it is (with your attention span problems, not doing well, no special skills etc.) you'll have problems finding a job even if you quit college.
This part is true. You're going to have to figure out how to get around your weaknesses (like everyone else) so they don't shut down your future. Talk to the successful people with ADD here (like Halla). Medication is an excellent place to start but by no means necessary for many people (but absolutely life-saving and vital for others).

College is a good place for people who have no idea what to do with their lives and want to buy a bit more time and a few more skills to find out what they're meant for.
Here, I hope you're not serious because I couldn't disagree more vehemently. This attitude is why we have the stereotype (and all-too-common reality) of the liberal arts major flipping burgers with a huge student loan after they graduate because they didn't actually think about the purpose behind going to school. It's a lot of time, energy and especially money (directly and by not working) to do if you don't have a purpose. (not slagging liberal arts majors who actually have a career goal, here)

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Are you on meds?

Trust me they help.

No, the school shrink came with the diagnosis this monday. Now I'll have to go to an institute that will check the diagnosis with brain scans, I believe. The school shrink said that the waiting list is very long, so I'll have to wait at least a couple of months. When they're ready at the institute, and I think that the school year will be over by then, I can finaly get my medication. So, I can't be helped with medication this year. They said that if I quit college before February, I can re-enter next September. When I don't and they kick me out, I'll have to wait another three years.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Whoa, all these replies!!!

Apart from meds, there are other skills that you can learn to deal with your ADD too. The school should also have special consideration that can be given for your condition, e.g. more time, flexible deadlines, etc. Instead of trying to run away from the existing problem that has such a huge impact on every aspect of your life, why not try to address it?

No, they only have a support group.

Can you think of any other reason?

There is no other reason.

Seriously get on ADD medication. My friend suffers from ADD and severe depression. She went on Celexa and was able to function better and concentrate enough to get her work down. Her biggest obstacle isn't ADD or depression or alcohol, it's her extremely low self esteem.

What kind of a simple little job do you have in mind? I don't know about Europe but everyone I spoken to here in America regrets not going to school. They live pay check to pay check and work long hours. Esp. the immigrants here work really long hours with little money. Imagine working at a grocery store when you're pass thirty. It's terrible. I can assure you.

In my opinion, you should get medical and therapeutic help and stay in school, no matter what. The outside world, the working force is much cruel-er than school. I know this girl who never went to college and held the same job at a medical office since high school. Sure, it's okay now but what happens when the economy changes and she can't find another administrative job because she never got a degree? She will be competing against people who have work experience and a high academic education.

College is better for your imagination and creativity than the work force. Don't give up so soon. You haven't even tried yet.

Actually, maybe if you take a few months off and see how tough it is outside, you will want to go back to school and be much more motivated and focused. I never wanted to leave school but I did for reasons I can't control and trust me, working at a job that's beneath you, dealing with people all day doing mediocre crap, being paid 8 dollars an hour - it's fucking terrible. My only hope is that no matter what, I am going back to school and getting a degree, but not just that, learning and stretching my mind, my intelligence, my creativity. It's a blessing.

Well, that’s what the shrink was surprised about, that my self esteem is still good (I had to maintain a non-comformist lifestyle and mentality for it, but I succeeded at it). This summer I worked at a factory and guess what, I liked it. I liked the people, I liked the fact that I didn’t have to think about my job when I came home, etc etc. When I came home, I could write, when I come home from school I can only think about school. By the way, with my pre-university degree I can also do some jobs that actually require vocational education. So if I wanted, I could go with my mom, who works as a prison guard. If I take a few months off now, I get kicked out anyway. I need to have 36 study points by June I believe, and I’m never going to make it.

Time for some research (curiosity-imagination) on your part? Google "famous people with add". Here's one link: http://borntoexplore.org/famous.htm

Now that you feel positive about who you are :) find out what kinds of careers you're suited for. Your counselor can steer you in the right direction if you'd like assistance.

Then (just my opinion) pick one and get a degree, even if your grades end up being medium-low. Degrees are about making sure you can have that simple life and actually eat, without working three jobs.

I feel positive about who I am, but it just doesn’t work on a top education level (because that’s what we’re talking about). With my current degree I can do jobs on vocational education level. The degree I’m supposed to get is the kind of degree that gets you Porsches and mansions in Southern France.

How do you think you can use your imagination to make you a happy, creative person?
:hug:

Not. Life is about being useful, not about being fun. I’m fun, but totally useless.

This part is true. You're going to have to figure out how to get around your weaknesses (like everyone else) so they don't shut down your future. Talk to the successful people with ADD here (like Halla). Medication is an excellent place to start but by no means necessary for many people (but absolutely life-saving and vital for others).

If I even get medication, it will probably take a year before I finally have it.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I gave myself some time to think and I realized that it's still possible for me to make this year, but in that case I can't fail for anything else. I also have to wait for the result of my third exam. I put a lot of effort in that one, but now I'm just so afraid I accidentally wrote down the wrong student number, because we all have two different student numbers and mine are so much like each other that it might be really possible that I filled in a wrong one.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Try different study techniques too. I day dream about shit too lol, comes with the ENFP territory (though I don't have ADD). Have you tried starting study groups? It really helps keeping extroverts focused you know? To be honest, the best thing for anyone is for them to follow their heart, do what feels right to them. Society strives on having a range of talents, not just people who can succeed in the typical studying environment. I say give school a second chance but if you're still not comfortable after all that, you need to sit down and have a real heart to heart with your dad, standing firm in your lifestyle choice.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
In high school teachers adviced me to stop studying in groups and somewhere they were right, because whenever I started studying together with other people, I got annoyed by them or we ended up in a fight. Right now I notice the same: whenever other people start talking to me about school work, I get annoyed and start yelling at them. Not because I'm naturally agressive or unmotivated, but because finishing my stuff already took so much energy that even thinking back about it gets me terrily frustrated. I will stay in school for a few more months, because I still have some stuff I need to take care of (I have side projects, that I took so I also have positive things on my mind besides studying and there's also someone I really, really want to connect with before I leave).

Edit: now I read that it will take at least 10 weeks before I can get helped. Yay! Not.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Maybe you're not ready for this kind of thing yet. Or maybe it's not for you period. We have to cram most people into 'higher learning' by a certain age but not everyone fits and because you know it doesn't resonate with you you are doing badly. It probably comes from the angst of having to work yourself into a system you don't want to be in. I think it's pretty lame we have to take medication so we can better cram ourselves into an education system that is too one-size-might-fit-all. I always thought I'd personally dig apprenticeship better than highschool 2.0. Maybe you just need another way of learning things.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Same thing happened to me last year with chemistry. I'm not sure how colleges work across the pond where you are, but are you able to transfer to another college or try another major? I agree with everyone else saying Psychology is overrated...it's not very marketable if everyone else is doing it, and you're not at the top. Do you have any other small interests in learning anything else?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I have nothing else decent. I could start playing the starving artist (we have a good social safety net, so I can do that until the day I do that until I don't need pills anymore).

N

NPcomplete

I'm not sure how the school system is where you are but is it possible for you to take less courses per semester? This way you will have more time to focus the courses.

If you really don't want to stay in that program though, it's probably better to change it. Is it possible to do a skill aptitude test, for example, at your school? I don't know how effective they are in general but the one I had in secondary school was fairly accurate and helpful.

Good luck in your future endeavours. I'm sure you'll figure out what you want to do at some point. :)

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
No, in the first year you have to take all courses and make sure you get 36 of the 60 study points (every subject has a certain amount of points that can be earned, I already know that I can't get over 48 by now, so it's very likely that I'll fail).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No, in the first year you have to take all courses and make sure you get 36 of the 60 study points (every subject has a certain amount of points that can be earned, I already know that I can't get over 48 by now, so it's very likely that I'll fail).

36 means 6 courses basically, if each course has 6 ECTS points. Don't you get another chance if you fail an exam once? You must wait an entire year?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is there a way to take a breather, instead of wanting to quit collage resume mid year next year while in the interim take time out for yourself to recollect your wants and aspirations in doing the course material you are doing. By redirecting your energy away from that which is causing stress you are able to attune towards the things you are wanting. See what jobs are like, gain some experience there or volunteer towards an activity that you find appealing. Reintegrate your whole attitude after this, for the stress builds, while it would be good to take fewer classes as has been mentioned to focus. However during a overstressed point like this, even this might be too much. Depends, because the education system is built for a specific study modality that is not really friendly to NF style of thinking. And at some point there is a plateau in the intensity and interest you have for the classes and passions you had initially for them. Even if you liked them at the start your going to rebel because it goes against your system of interpretation. Naturally much worse if you hated the classed from the start. Then choosing intuitively what feels right for you is a next step in changing and studying towards something that is in better alignment to your interests.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You can take time off and go back to school. I went LESS THAN ONE SEMESTER when I was 18, didn't go back until I was in my 20s, worked part-time, went to school full-time, and made straight As for 3 1/2 years, realized I didn't know why the hell I was there, and now I've been off again for about two semesters.

The good news is that I can STILL go back, I've got a perfect GPA when and if I do, and I have reassessed what I would actually do there if I did (p.s. yes I would change my major).

It's not the end of the world, seriously, and yes you can go back, especially if you aren't planning to have children soon, that makes this sort of thing much easier.

I'm an NFP too, by the way.